electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Finally!!! Nord Modular G2 OS & G2 Editor 1.62 (UPDATED)
Page 4 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
purusha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, I meant host PC / mac OS.
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Win XP Professional SP3
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't connect via a hub from my OSX system to the G2 Engine. Starts breaking up pretty quickly. There have been several reports of similar hub issues here in the past, I think.

/Stefan

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

USB, especially USB2m and Firewire have similar problems. There is an industry standard, but different chip makers interpret the standards differently, and software driver writers do as well. It is known that MOTU devices will only work with certain chips in the computer. One should expect this with incompatibility problem USB2 as well.

Unfortunately, except for more responsible companies, like MOTU and RME, most companies don't acknowledge this incompatibility problem, nor do they test the USB interfaces carefully.

Fortunately, the computer interfaces and hubs are relatively cheap, so can try another one. Not so easy if the USB or Firewire interfaces in your laptop don't work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
USB, especially USB2m and Firewire have similar problems. There is an industry standard, but different chip makers interpret the standards differently, and software driver writers do as well.

Hehe.. ^^^this makes a lot of sense.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't pass up the opportunity to tell another story. Long ago in a different universe I was in charge of a big distributed computing network at Lucent. Every engineer has a big Sun workstation for their CAD. They were refurnishing a design center and we put in the new 10baseT hubs and routers made by AT&T, the latest stuff. It used our chips.

When we moved an analog IC design group into the new digs, they started to complain that there was something wrong with the network - their simulations were taking much longer then at the other place where they were on coax networks.

We did everything we could think of to fix this problem. But it was a tough one, there were no errors anywhere indicating what the problem was. We swapped out hubs and even rewired one guy's (the most vocal) office. I'll call him Satan, for this example. Nothing. We had network analyzer vendors come in an I promised them I'd by 25 analyzers if they could spot the problem. Nothing.

Satan started bad mouthing our department and me in particular. His message to my boss was that I didn't know anything about networks and they should outsource our entire department. My boss told me he was getting tremendous pressure to thump me. I was getting worried.

Then a few days later, I get one of those "see me immediately" messages from my boss. Arrggg...

It turns out that Satan was a very respected member of the design community in Bell Labs. He personally designed the 10baseT chips in the AT&T hubs we were using. He got so fed up with us that he decided to solve the problem himself. He hung a storage scope right on the network wires coming from his office. He saw stuff he that shouldn't have been there. Something was wrong.

It turns out, the routers we were using the computer room were made by DEC, a different company, of course, who used their own chip. That chip had been on the market for several years. They were doing something that Satan never expected, but still consistent with the standard, just something that didn't occur to him could be. It was something the trailer shall be no less than 3 clock cycles. He made his chip work with 3 but not more. The DEC chip would send the trailer for 3, 4, sometimes, 5 clock cycles - consistent with standard. It was a design error made by himself.

My boss was so happy for two reasons: 1) he didn't have to fire me and my department, and 2) we learned about a serious problem in the AT&T devices before the customers. It probably saved an entire division of the company.

Satan never apologized BTW, and every time he passed me in the hall he looked the other way. In our department, whenever we talked about FUs, we called them by his first name, which wasn't Satan if I remember correctly.

This is a good lesson to learn though. Standards are complicated and there are very few industry compliance tests.

Brings to mind a line from a poem by Kipling.

If you can keep your head when all about you,
    Are loosing theirs and blaming it on you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
drapdap

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If!

Smile

i love to read stories such as this from You Howard.

r.
cbm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trying a different hub is a good idea.

At one point in the dim dark past, I thought that some revision of emagic's Logic was the most crash-prone piece of software I had ever used. Other people weren't having problems with it, so I started to think that what was wrong with my system was hardware. After swapping memory out, and a bunch of other stuff, it occurred to me that I had added a new hub at about the same time, and that Logic's USB dongle was plugged into this hub. I got a new hub and all my problems went away.

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe a new sticky thread should be started in which users report "good" USB hubs to use with G2 Editor?

I remember a thread about good/bad USB hubs on the daw-mac group a few years ago.

Some old stuff on VIRB
cbm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
Maybe a new sticky thread should be started in which users report "good" USB hubs to use with G2 Editor?.

I don't have a G2, so I can't help with that, but the hub I ended up with, which seems bulletproof, is this Adaptec XHub7+:
http://www.amazon.com/Adaptec-AUH-7000PLUS-XHub7-USB-Port/dp/B000062SU0

jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My bandmate is having this problem with firewire and a presonus device...he bought a bleeding edge laptop form Dell that just doesn't seem happy with the audio interface.

He's currently shopping for PCI/PCIe firewire cards...something tuned & compatible with the firewire device. So, that may be an option. I know RME makes their own Firewire card, that is supposedly highly tuned for their devices...no problem (as long as PCIe is playing nicely!).
BorisZuev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Nord Editor 1.6 bug?
Subject description: MORE OVER AFTER INSTALLATION 1.62 IT CORRUPTED MANY BANKS-IALSO SWITCH IT AGAIN AND AGAIN -WHEN SAVI
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CoolAngel wrote:
Hello to all,
are the new forum, I have now installed the new driver and the new editor for my G2 is on XP or on Vista (2 computers where it was not installed the driver and the editor of the previous G2) .. and I noticed in both cases that if you open the editor for the first time everything works fine, but if you close the editor and reopened several times this is blocked and you turn off and on the G2 Crying or Very sad . Someone had this problem? Thank you

P.S. Sorry my bad English
BorisZuev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: UPDATE 1.62
Subject description: IS A REAL HEAD ACHE FOR MY G2

AFTER INSTALLING NEW DRIVER 1.62 ON MY MAC BOOK PRO -FROM THE NEWEST ONES - I WAS TIRED SWITcHING ON&OFF IT CORRUPTED SOME BANKS /WHILE MAKING SAve/driver 1.40 worked well -but i/ve deleted it ?
BorisZuev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: G2 1.62 UPGRADE
Subject description: UPGRADE-CORRUPTER

NOT TO FIX I MY CASE-BUT TO BRING THE BUG-I HAVE UPGRADED TO1.62-
I HAVE TWO MONTH MAC BOOK PRO & MY G2 SUCCESFULLY WORKED UNTILL THIS UPPGRADE - IT HAS CORRUPTED MANY PATCHES AND AFTER 10-15 TIMES I SAVE MY WORK IT FREEZES I REINSTALLED TWICE 1.62 THE PROBLEM REALLY EXISTS..... MAY BE SOMEBODY KNEW HOW TO IMPROVE THIS ?
peterkadar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man, I hope you get everything sorted out soon...

Mosc, I really dig your story too!

Hope everyone's well. I've got some new (ish) things in store for the G2 community in the not too distant future Smile
Static Motion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having more & more corrupt patches since i updated to the new OS on mac-intel 10.4.11.
When saving in the G2's internal memory, it freezes, and i have to switch it off to get it to work again...the patches saved are all corrupted.
I save them on my computer also via the editor, and those patches are ok.
Anyone having the same problem ?
gomidas

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Static Motion wrote:
I'm having more & more corrupt patches since i updated to the new OS on mac-intel 10.4.11.
When saving in the G2's internal memory, it freezes, and i have to switch it off to get it to work again...the patches saved are all corrupted.
I save them on my computer also via the editor, and those patches are ok.
Anyone having the same problem ?

EVERYONE Wink

JUST GO BACK TO SYNTH OS 1.40 (1.6 WAS THE LAST JOKE FROM CLAVIA BECAUSE WE WERE BEGGING SO HARD FOR AN INTEL EDITOR) AND USE THE 1.6 INTEL EDITOR, EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FINE THEN.
Static Motion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where can I find 1.40 for osx ?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Static Motion wrote:
Where can I find 1.40 for osx ?

I know you found it, but just for completion Wink

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-32310-25.html

BorisZuev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: IS IT POSSIBLE TO IMPROVE CORRUPTION SOMEHOW /
Subject description: CORRUPTION CONTINUED

IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE 1.40 AFTER 1.62 CAUSE IT WORKED WELL ON MY MAC BOOK PRO OS X.5.6/ SO
I HAD PREPARED PATCHES FOR TOMMOROW/S CONCERT /
THEY HAVE BEEN
-GOD BLESS MYSELF -AND ALL OF YOU MY DEAR FRIENDS AND CLAVIA TOO OF COURSE -
- PRE SAVED IN COMPUTER AND I CAN USE THEM -BUT WHEN I DECIDED TO CHECK THEM NOW -MOST OF THEM AGAIN WERE CORRUPTED
I FEEL THIS BUG EXISTS IN 1.62 NOT IN THE HUBS ETC....
RESPECT FOR THOSE WHO KNOW !
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boris ... I understand you are unhappy and confused, but by using regular capitalization your message would be more pleasant to read Wink
gomidas

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: IS IT POSSIBLE TO IMPROVE CORRUPTION SOMEHOW /

BorisZuev wrote:
IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE 1.40 AFTER 1.62 CAUSE IT WORKED WELL ON MY MAC BOOK PRO OS X.5.6/ SO
I HAD PREPARED PATCHES FOR TOMMOROW/S CONCERT /
THEY HAVE BEEN
-GOD BLESS MYSELF -AND ALL OF YOU MY DEAR FRIENDS AND CLAVIA TOO OF COURSE -
- PRE SAVED IN COMPUTER AND I CAN USE THEM -BUT WHEN I DECIDED TO CHECK THEM NOW -MOST OF THEM AGAIN WERE CORRUPTED
I FEEL THIS BUG EXISTS IN 1.62 NOT IN THE HUBS ETC....
RESPECT FOR THOSE WHO KNOW !

YES Very Happy

BEST

Gomi
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: IS IT POSSIBLE TO IMPROVE CORRUPTION SOMEHOW /

gomidas wrote:
YES Very Happy

Laughing

BorisZuev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject:  Thanks
Subject description: Am I right now Jan ?

I knew - lord exists / I have made upgrade 1.40 -tommorow i will try....Thanks
cl516

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm about to pickup a G2 engine:

so what's the word,

Use 1.40 for the Synth OS

and use the 1.62 Editor?

The computers I'll be using it with will be:
Mac Pro and White Macbook,
will not be plugging into any Hubs.

Page 4 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic