electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
lead 2x problem
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
crabfisher

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject:  lead 2x problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello to everyone, i'm new here...
i bought a nordlead 2x last month, so i'm a beginner, but i think it has something wrong: when i play with preset sounds sometimes the sound changes apparently without any reason while playing (for example it starts to sound with a different filter setting or the lfo starts even if disactivated...) in that case i have to reboot the preset sound and i can play normally...
Anyone has an idea what would be the cause?
thank you!

ps. i hope you will understand what i wrote, i'm italian and i know that my english isn't really good! Very Happy
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome crabfisher

Never heard of this problem before...
Which doesn't mean it isn't there Smile

Are there any Midi cables connected?
Is the Wheel assigned to the Filter Cut Off or the LFO, or even to the Morph function (Is the LED underneath the Master Level shining?) and have you used the Wheel?

Wout

Last edited by Wout Blommers on Sun May 02, 2010 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
crabfisher

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uhm, there are no midi connections...but now that you mentioned the wheel i remember hat sometimes (but not always) it happens while using it: like if you use the wheel to modify the filter suddenly the cutoff frequency changes and even with the wheel you can't go back to the initial setting...
but, the problem is that i doesn't have a clear view of what really happens or why because it happens only few times and in umpredictable moments...so maybe the synth has no problems at all it's only me that i'm doing something wrong Confused
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When turning a knob beware there is only an immediate setting, which means when the parameter and the knob don’t have the same value, which is always the case when uploading a Program from the Memory, the parameter will jump to the value of the knob! But the original setting has to be in the total range of the knob, so it can be found again by using your ears or a tool like NordGenerator.
The late one needs some explanation how to use and is only available as freeware to Windows.
If you want I can direct you to it. It’s a handy tool learning what the synth does…

Wout
crabfisher

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, thanks for the advices...but why the sound should change while playing without even touching a knob?
What is exactly the nord generator?
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

crabfisher wrote:
... but why the sound should change while playing without even touching a knob?
The only thing I can think of is a bad potentio0meter, the thing which inside and is in fact the real knob: the resistor which changes the values. You can test this by pressing the Shift button and the LFO1 wave form button at the same time. The LCD will show the last changed parameter value (only not wich one it is!). Leave the synth on for a while and as soon as the sound changes look at the LCD if the value has changed too. If so, return here again and we try to find out which one it is. Maybe you have to replace the thing, which can be done by any good repair shop
Quote:
What is exactly the nord generator?
See http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/020_NordLead2/Red_Lady/Index_bestanden/Red_Lady/Nord_Generator.htm

Wout
crabfisher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you very much for the advices, i'm afraid that these days i don't have enough time to play and the last times i tried it didn't seem to have any problem, but the next time that happens something strange i will do the operations you suggested!
visconti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I recently bought a lead 2x and I'm having the same problem occasionally.

I can't recreate it, and it doesn't happen consistently at all.
I have a feeling it's a software problem, and I realized that my synth is still running version 1.0

I'm interested to know if this could be the cause, or if it was fixed in a later version. Regardless, I want to look into updating to the latest one.

Another thing i noticed is that it usually happens immediately after selecting a patch, which makes me think its a memory problem. But it has also jumped on me a couple of times at random. Also, it's never the same parameter. I've had it happen to filter cutoff, oscillator 2 pitch, LFO 1 amount, even amp release. Probably a few more that went unnoticed as well.

Like crabfisher said reselecting the patch usually solves the problem.

It's very frustrating!

Any help is appreciated.

thanks! Very Happy
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome visconti
Quote:
... and I realized that my synth is still running version 1.0
I'm interested to know if this could be the cause, or if it was fixed in a later version. Regardless, I want to look into updating to the latest one.
There is only Version 1.0, because the basics of the synths never changed.
Quote:
Another thing i noticed is that it usually happens immediately after selecting a patch, which makes me think its a memory problem. But it has also jumped on me a couple of times at random. Also, it's never the same parameter. I've had it happen to filter cutoff, oscillator 2 pitch, LFO 1 amount, even amp release. Probably a few more that went unnoticed as well.

Like crabfisher said reselecting the patch usually solves the problem.
If you really didn't touched any knob, button, wheel or the pedal, nor any Midi is connected, I would suggest the next procedure to find out: the simple knob test! Press [Shift+LFO1WaveForm] and tweak a knob. You should see the LCD screen producing the values of that tweak. (You can also use this setting to see what values you are creating when programming the synth)

Keep in mind the NordLead has an immediate knob behavior, which means the value jumps at once to the new setting.
Just a try out. Create a Program with the Amp Gain set to [0]. Playing the synth will give no sound, right?
Save this Program.
Now tweak the Gain to a higher value , so you van hear the sound again.
Upload the saved test Program and play it. No sound of course, it is saved as mute, although the physical knob is in the 'sounding' position.
Now slightly tweak the Gain anti clock wise and the value jumps at once to a slight lower value than the original position of the knob and the sound is clearly audible...

What to look for...
There are conditions where the knob, or rather the potentiometer under the hood, isn't stable and will change slightly. In the test mode you will see the LCD change the value by 1 or 2 steps. Heating up, from the power supply, is one of the most occurring reasons. Cooling down the synth would help. (Uhh, don't use water Wink

Why is the sound changing drastically? Uploading a memory location doesn't mean the knobs are in the right position. If the knob is almost in the same position of the uploaded parameter the small changes aren't noticed, but when they are very differnt to each other, you will hear it for sure. So a bad potentiometer can spoil it all...

If you really have so many bad components, I should read the warranty papers carefully and ask, if possible, for a new synth!

Clavia performs a rather cruel stress test, but it is never foreseen what conditions you create to get the best out of the red lady Wink

Wout

Last edited by Wout Blommers on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
melmac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi together,

your problems with your new Nord 2X sound like the problems I had with my 2X (see: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-42380.html)

melmac wrote:
I recently bought a new Lead 2X and there were some "strange" effects in the first days: sudden change of the value in the display or "self-changing" of parameters without turning the knobs... OK that is up to now not reproducable...

As I reported, at last I changed the 2X into another device on guarantee - and up to now the new 2X seems to be OK.

I assume there could be a principle hardware/software problem with the 2X??? Perhaps someone at Clavia could check the "reclamation statistics" to proof this...

Are there even more users with such "phenomena"?

Perhaps you should also change your devices if you still have guarantee.
Good luck!

melmac
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

melmac wrote:
... Are there even more users with such "phenomena"? ...
Yes, on my NordLead2 (bought 10 years ago) the Gain has the trouble. Now I always save my Programs Gain set to [90] so I have some margin when using it in a Layer, and the knob itself is also in this setting, so the small fluctuations aren't noticed.

Wout
visconti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the replies,

over the past few days I've been observing my synth, and trying to localize the problem a little more.

it's happening much more frequently now, so I hit shift+LFO waveform to see the values that are being affected. it turns out as I play the keyboard, the numbers 64, 65, 74, 90 and 80 show up very often, but it is not limited to those. they are completely random, and most of the time they are not affecting the sound noticeably.

I also realized that pushing buttons such as unison or switching between mono legato or poly, will affect a very noticeable parameter like OSC 2 pitch or something in the filter section. (of course this doesn't happen every time)

I sent a message to tech support stating my problem, and I really hope it can be fixed or replaced. that shouldn't be a problem considering I bought it new just over a week ago.

what I'm thinking is that there is a problem with 2x's that were made within the last couple of months, considering no one has heard of a problem like this until recently.

melmac, did you compare serial numbers with the one you sent back and the one you received? It would be interesting to see if the working one is an older model.
melmac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

visconti wrote:

melmac, did you compare serial numbers with the one you sent back and the one you received? It would be interesting to see if the working one is an older model.

Hi visconti,

I bought (a few weeks ago) a new 2X of the Anniversary Model which was built in 2008 - therefore I got it with very good conditions. After realizing these "strange things" my dealer changed it into another (new) Anniversary Model. So, both of "my" 2X were built in 2008 and it seems that only one of it had some "problems".
Perhaps it is a fundamental technical/electronical problem that occurs occasionally (it is a only computer with knobs and a keyboard...). It would be important to know if there are other users with that problems and how old their Leads are.

Good luck - and everything will be good!
Goof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weird. Just got an Anniversary model as well and I have the same problem. Volume drops all of a sudden. Really annoying. Just emailed Clavia about this.
Goof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just got a response (they're quick!). According to them it's related to dust in the encoders and they deny it's a bug in the 2x Anniversary model. I showed them this thread Wink
I guess I'll have to live with it. No way I'm selling it or anything. The problem is annoying, but by no means a "dealbreaker".

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nexus5 wrote:
... According to them it's related to dust in the encoders and they deny it's a bug in the 2x Anniversary model. ...
Yes and there is a lot of dust in the world Smile
You can replace the pots...

Wout
Goof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Nexus5 wrote:
... According to them it's related to dust in the encoders and they deny it's a bug in the 2x Anniversary model. ...
Yes and there is a lot of dust in the world Smile
You can replace the pots...

Wout

That's true Smile Way too much dust.
Dank voor je "betrokkenheid" weer.

nattychauss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: BUGS ON MY NORD LEAD 2X
Subject description: I have the same troubles of changing parameters without touching knobs!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought my 2X brand-new 15 months ago, it worked perfectly during one year, but during the last three months, it started to have the same problems as described by you guys in this forum topic: changing parmaters whithout touching knobs.
The worst is that sometimes everything works, and then the day after bugs appear again.
When I call back a performance, it works at the beginning, then if I change a few parameters on the slots of the performance, bugs start!
The only way to get rid of it is to call back the performance, and pray for the sounds not to go crazy. But often it gets nuts again after a while :S
The most affected parameters seem to be LFO1 amount, LFO1 rate, Mod env amount, and OSC2 semitones...
I bought this keyboard because I was told it was reliable stuff, but it seems not to be the case!
I found a lot of similar 2X problems on french musicians forums!

Here is a short video I made whith a demonstration of bugs :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GtfBNNftro

I need reliable stuff to play gigs!!!

Good luck to all of U.
tritonchris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I faced the same problem in the first days I used the Nord Lead.

Didn't face it anymore as it was due to touching the modulation wheel slightly (without noting it) while playing low keys.

The modulation wheel is very reactive. So, it might be possible that you did touch it without noting it.

Cheers,
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: