electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry Electronic Drum CookBook
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Thomas Henry Electronic Drum CookBook
Subject description: From Magic Smoke - - now available
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks as though Magic Smoke have finally come through with the first of the Thomas Henry Books. $15 for pdfs.

http://www.magsmoke.com/thomas_henry_books.asp

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, a good book Mr. Bug. I highly recommend it! Very Happy

Bill
chonald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think i'm going to buy it.

is it simple enough to implement the circuits? for a beginner-experimenter?

cole
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
s it simple enough to implement the circuits? for a beginner-experimenter?

Yes, the circuits are simple to build and experiment with. You should have some NE566 VCO and CA3080 IC's on hand as they are used quite frequently in the circuits.

I also recommend a decent solderless breadboard to build and test the circuits.

Here is a link to one that I personally own and it's a good deal.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PB-3260/105/BREADBOARD,_3260_CONTACT_.html

Bill
[/quote]
chonald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just ordered the cookbook.

i wish i knew of the "common" parts so i could just collect them and make some small projects.

those ics, though, look like they're a start.

thanks.
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, just got one. thanks for the notice, bugs. I didn't get any smoke signals e-mails and hadn't checked for a couple of weeks. Alas, after reading the sample pages, i simply can't wait for my inbox to fill up with goodness.
-justin
bugbrand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I just ordered it too... whoop!

Shame I still haven't found a decent NE566 source (cheap and plentiful is how I'd like it!) but still got some CA3080s about.

Roll on the other books I say. There's gotta be a lot of great info in the 50 pages..

mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did order it to.
Waiting for the book now.
shawn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive had the book and others for quite some time when Thomas had his website selling them. Picked up the Drum Cookbook, The Noise Cookbook, Making Music with the 566, and the Electronic Music Circuits: The Reprints (Volume 1). ALL GREAT READING. I've often wondered if there was ever going to be a Volume 2. The first one is 159 pages! The day I decided to pick up the 3080 book he closed up shop. I almost cried.
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

received mine today. Can't recommend this enough. Even after just a quick & sloppy readthrough, I can tell that this is the tome I've been searching for! Very Happy +1 for the other books
-justin
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Thomas Henry Electronic Drum CookBook
Subject description: From Magic Smoke - - now available
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
Looks as though Magic Smoke have finally come through with the first of the Thomas Henry Books. $15 for pdfs.

As moderator, I suppose I should be appraising this download? However as I'm also another DIY fan, and dare I say it, human, I feel rather cheated. I mean why couldn't MSE print this off in a nice bound book- printed with a laser printer etc? I'd have been more keen to order the cookbooks than simply to part with 15 dollars for a link to an electronic download THEN to have to go off and print it myself, for even more money!

I think what is rather more disturbing is the tearing off of your old cookbook cover to get $12 off the price. How many people here like to hold onto old printed manuals to cherish?? I know I do and a front cover missing makes me want to throw them away Sad

IMO, It all rather stinks of early y2k corporate business ethics Sad
shawn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All the ones that I do own are all hardcopies. I will admit it's better to hold an actual item. Especially if it's a larger tome like the Electronic Music Circuits book. What I'm curious about is why is it taking so long for them to come out on pdf. Surely it could be just as easy as scanning them onto the computer then exporting it as a pdf. I'm sure there are a few extra steps in there but even then the drum cookbook isn't that huge.
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was surprised by the download too. A while back I e-mailed cause I work for a publishing company an offered to do a quote for a run of the Henry books. But it didn't go anywhere. These services are still available. We can do GBC, Coil, Thermal tape or Perfect binding. At damn reasonable prices. So, if Magic Smoke is reading this...
mono-poly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did pay 2 days a go.
Haven't got a download link yet.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shawn wrote:
I will admit it's better to hold an actual item.

Quite right.

I remember my first sampler- an E-mu e6400. A wonderful, powerful machine- and it really needed the manual, but then when I upgraded to the E4xt it had no manual at all- just discs. Well this is fine if you have a decent printer, but I don't spend money on printers.

I'm sorry MS, but I think you could do better than this, as I think Thomas Henry too, deserves this extra detail. Idea
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm sorry MS, but I think you could do better than this, as I think Thomas Henry too, deserves this extra detail.

I agree with you Tom. I also think it's a shame that MS never followed through with the "Mankato TH-201" 4&8 Output VCF module production in both kit or assembled form! Unfortunately they own the rights to the TH design and there is nothing anyone can do. I don't know their situation so I don't want to say anything very negative about them. I would have loved to take over the production for this great module, BUT, I could not. Of course if I offered a sum of money, they may talk ...... Wink

Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
but I don't spend money on printers.

Hell, the printers are cheap. It's the #@$!! ink that'll empty your pockets in no time. Oh, the Vactrols I could buy for the price of one simple, short lived black ink cartridge..... Mad

I rarely print manuals out. It's nice to have paper copies, but I do love that search function, too. Are these PDF's searchable?

Cheers,
Scott
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can search it fine, no prob. I printed a copy out, but only because I was afforded the luxury of doing it on someone else's dime. Couldn't resist, it makes for really great reading on the subway.
chonald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

we should start talking about the contents of the book.

what're you guys going to use the book to make?

i know i wouldn't mind being able to play drums, or sequence drums.

can these circuits be made using banana jacks?

etc..

i dunno,
cole
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
but I don't spend money on printers.

Hell, the printers are cheap. It's the #@$!! ink that'll empty your pockets in no time.

Exactly! Not only that, if your cruddy USB link aint up to it, you're about to flush even more down the pan!! Laughing

I know that friends of mine (including family) always harp on about Lexmark- then I have to put them straight about the price of the carts compared to the actual printer alone Exclamation Shocked

The last manual I printed up was the q-cad manual. With about 300+ pages, it took 3 attemps to finally get it right (printing on both sides of the paper, then comb binding it). But at least the initial download was free Very Happy

As you can probably gather, I'm not keen on people who offer electronic downloads of manuals at a price. I think this practice is lazy. Okay MSE may have good reason for this, I don't know, but imo, this type of behaviour gets my back up pretty quickly.

And yes- where is that Mankato filter gone??? Ever since Scott posted that lushious demo, my drool has become so deep- I'm at about drowning point Shocked Shocked MSE, wouldn't it be better to sell boards and/or populated boards (like Paia or Blacet?)- and join in all the fun here too? Wink

Scott Stites wrote:
I rarely print manuals out. It's nice to have paper copies, but I do love that search function

Question

What about that paper function called an "Index" or "Contents". Does that not exist anymore??? Shocked Laughing

Times must have changed! Perhaps I should go put a wet paper bag over my head??! Idea Laughing

Hell, if you can't read it while having a crap on the toilet (or on the bus for that matter! Shocked Laughing )- then it's no good to me Laughing
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Hell, if you can't read it while having a crap on the toilet

If Lexmark made something that printed on toilet paper, we could kill two birds with one stone.

Actually, I do think Tim and John put a lot of work into the PDF. They didn't want to just scan the book and sell that, but wanted to make it a fairly high quality doc. Problem was, the software Thomas used to create his schematics and documentation is an old, DOS based application, so, as I understand it, they pretty much had to re-write it.

Mankato is coming along - Tim shared the board layout with me last week, so it's not dead in the water. I have no idea when it'll show up for sale, though.

Cheers,
Scott
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess I'm lucky I work in a print shop. Cool I take the whole printing stuff for granted, Embarassed well maybe not I appreciate it. It's pretty cool being able to make books and notebooks and print up stickers and posters, panels, and all that jazz.
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am currently building some TR808 clone modules and i'm using the trigger conditioner with status indicator from the cookbook. Im also using the mixer circuit. I really want to build an entire drum circuit from the book, and plan to.

I actually have the original paper copy that I got from Thomas years ago. I really love his books and plan to get the ones I don't have as soon as they are available. The only gripe I have about the book is that there is really no dedicated cymbal or hi hat circuit. This is not too bad though since you can build a cheap multiple square wave generator (like in the CGS Cynare) and use Thomas's other circuits to build the rest.
mono-poly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are other people waiting that long to for the pdf link?
I did pay Saturday for it but i still got no download link. Crying or Very sad
bugbrand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...just located a bunch of NE566 chips - wah-hoo! Pretty good price too.

Mono-poly -- have you received the file yet? Mine came through after a day or so.. Maybe email them to check?

Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: