electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
Search Bugs in G2ools 1.3, known bugs
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Search Bugs in G2ools 1.3, known bugs
Subject description: List all bugs you can find in release 1.3 here
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought we better have an own thread to collect bugs or missing features that are known in 1.3 here to have them all together and allow easy reference for people that want to fix a problematic patch by hand...

So known bugs in 1.3 sofar:

1- morphs on switches go usually wrong because the G2 cant scale them

2- sometimes delay modulations cause distortions because you get longer delays on the G2 on mod values >127... a limiter module before the mod in set to 50 asym helps

This was the known...
Thats the new findings:

3- OSC A gets PW settings 1-50% wrong when no modulation input is applied in the Nm1 patch ( an optimization bug..model gets not applied )

4- Fozzie bug, sometimes a cable that is supposed to be red gets blue... (reason yet unknown...)

5- G2ian bug, DX2g2 Pitch EG Times are factor 10 to long (wrong table translation...)

...so.. sofar G2ian, Fozzie and me found a sofar overseen bug
who wants to join the competition?

please report your findings here... best by posting wrong conversion and original or the exact location and patchname where to find the problematic patch..

Its enough to point to patches that sound wrong
So even when you don't see what is going wrong or just get the idea that this cant be intended please report..

Thnx
sven
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's also the bug with author's names with special signs in them, like æ or ö. Since the author's name is automatically placed into the credit-text-modules, this results in a failing patch. On loadup, the editor gives an error message like "module with invalid name" and then the patch is silent. Delete the text module, make it recompile and it plays again.
qfingers

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
There's also the bug with author's names with special signs in them, like æ or ö. Since the author's name is automatically placed into the credit-text-modules, this results in a failing patch. On loadup, the editor gives an error message like "module with invalid name" and then the patch is silent. Delete the text module, make it recompile and it plays again.

I'm not sure I understand. There are no text modules in the NM1. Are you saying the name of any of the modules? I'll look into fixing this. Some sort of convertion table may be necessary. Python may have it already. It is suprising because those portions of the .pch2 file format have space to contain the characters.

q
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:
It is suprising because those portions of the .pch2 file format have space to contain the characters.

I tried typing some ö õ à like stuff directly into module names in the G2 editor, it does not accpt such characters. So apparently it wants strict ASCII.

Fozzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. There are no text modules in the NM1. Are you saying the name of any of the modules? I'll look into fixing this. Some sort of convertion table may be necessary. Python may have it already. It is suprising because those portions of the .pch2 file format have space to contain the characters.

q

In the text block where your own credits are (which you insert on purpose after conversion) there is als a text module that shows the author name (probably from the directory it came from). As Blue Hell pointed out, you can't type these signs into the editor, so when your converter put 'em in automatically without the editor, the editor chokes on it upon patchload. Try to load any patch from the directory "Björk_Mikael" and see what happens. The text is all weird in the text module and you get an error warning (at least in the demo software, which I used for testing). I haven't tried, but I predict the same will happen with patches from Per Wikström. When you delete the offending text module out of the G2 patch and change variations (or possibly delete/add another module) the patch starts to work.

Fozzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some more clarification on the 'name' thingy:
qfingers wrote:
Are you saying the name of any of the modules?

No, but the error message states something like "invalid module name". I didn't understand either, until I noticed the text module. So apparently, the text that is typed into a text module becomes the "module name" from the viewpoint of the software.

3phase

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So if the namer of the athor..or better the source folder has invalid characters the patch dont loads...

can you name an example patch?
i try to generate one...
Fozzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
Try to load any patch from the directory "Björk_Mikael" and see what happens. ... I haven't tried, but I predict the same will happen with patches from Per Wikström.

Can't miss it in the archive

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A little problem with the DX model, the offset on the velocity is killing some of the patches that have finely set levels, like the WURLIZER etc. They were fine tuned to have just enough bite on max velocity so adding a constant 13.5 pushes them into overmodulation.

Ideally, Clavia would give as a choice of velocity curves.

A short term alternative is to use a constant morped to velocity, where the morph range is say 13.5 - 64.0. This keeps the max at 127 but compresses the velocity dynamics.

Users can experiment with the morph setting then save what suits in the DX7.PCH2 file. If you have an engine and /or use an external keyboard you probably can just set it to 0 - 64.

Some of the DX7.PCH2 can be customised (like effect settings etc) and saved to all variations. Deleting some parts might cause problems with the converter however.
3phase

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added this constant because some sounds had to less byte on normal keyplaying with the G2 comparedd to playing the same sound on the DX7..
but maybe i overdid it..

Can you do yout suggested tweak and send it in? than i can compare again with my problem patch and we get maybe an optimal balance and can include that as default in the next release?
Fozzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re: author's name bug. I am sorry to say that I was mistaken or can't reproduce the error anymore. The part with the error message is true, and the name gets all weird, but just after hitting OK the patch plays fine. I'm sorry for causing confusion, this bug now appears to be purely cosmetic Embarassed
This is what it looks like:

authornamebug.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.4 KB
 Viewed:  27206 Time(s)

authornamebug.JPG

3phase

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so the editor fixes it..the ö is removed....
ian-s

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
I added this constant because some sounds had to less byte on normal keyplaying with the G2 comparedd to playing the same sound on the DX7..
but maybe i overdid it..

Can you do yout suggested tweak and send it in? than i can compare again with my problem patch and we get maybe an optimal balance and can include that as default in the next release?

Here is an example

BESTWURL.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  BESTWURL.pch2
 Filesize:  3.16 KB
 Downloaded:  1835 Time(s)

3phase

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

but where is the difference to an offset? do you think the operators are handling vel values above 127 ?
actually they shouldnt
ian-s

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
but where is the difference to an offset? do you think the operators are handling vel values above 127 ?
actually they shouldnt

You are right, they do stop after 127.
The only difference then, is that the offset discards 10% of the upper range, where the morph compresses all values into a narrower band in range.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Update on the GUI for G2ools
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was testing nm2g2, and typed a patch name which doesn't exist.
The program did not display anything.

It would be very useful to simply print "File does not exist"

From the GUI's perspective, the gui basically takes the output from the program, and displays it in a text box. When the user enters a patchname which doesn't exist, currently nothing can be displayed in the GUI because there is no output from the program. This leaves the user confused. What happened? Is this a bug?

I could print a message in the GUI which shows "There was no output from nm2g2", but I believe the target application is responsible for producing meaningful output, and the GUI just displays that information along to the user.

Comments please?
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
Jump to: