electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
Nu Mezmer music
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Michael Chocholak

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Nu Mezmer music Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As far as I'm concerned, once we pass December 22, it's spring. I'm not waiting for the weather to catch up. And so in the spirit of the season I've undertaken some sonic housekeeping and added some new tracks here & there;

I signed up for a page at ElectronicScene - nice site & well worth checking out if you haven't already. So most of my abstract and a few ambient tracks are here.

I've put some previously unposted electronic keyboard tracks at ic-musicmedia. Smooth electrobeat, light funk - this genre/catagory thing drives me nuts - anyway, more mainstream musics here.

And my electric guitar tracks - rock, blues, jazz - are collected at SoundClick, here.

The IUMA site is nearly comatose, so my tracks there don't even stream lofi anymore and I will probably be reluctantly looking for a new home for the YellowJacket soundtrack.

Anyway, should be something for practically everybody here. Cool

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer

Last edited by Michael Chocholak on Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow!

Thanks for posting these links. Mez, your "experimental" stuff is fabulous. I haven't heard the other stuff yet.

Your music is very diverse; every piece is different; very nice compostions; losts of innovative sounds used in intesting way. I like it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps I have asked this before.. ? Do you have any CDs out?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, thanks Howard for the very positive comments! Glad it was good to your ears. Very Happy

Actually, no, I don't have any CD's out. I got pretty burned out on self production/promotion from when I ran a cassette label. Running machines all the time until you have to replace them. Send a master to a mass duplication house and about half of what you got back was garbage. Loved the music end, hated the sales part. Obviously CDs are tres easier, but I still cringe when I think about it. Think I'd really just rather have someone else do it for me & take a cut. Lazy bastard, eh?

It's one reason I have it all available for free download. But I've found many people don't want to bother with that. They want a CD. They'll pay. So I guess I should take a serious look at the possibilities... whatever they might be at this point.

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the process of downloading several tracks. Comments soon! Very Happy Can't wait!
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there!

Sorry it took me forever to reply with some feedback. I've reformated my harddrive about four times in the last week so your downloaded tracks have been waiting on a backup cd.

These are amazing ambient tracks! Really great and inspirering. It's hard to pick one or two favorites, they're all amazing. What's that sound in Quadrigemina that sounds like a sax/humpback whale? Is it the balloon? Very Happy I really love Blue Star Kachina and Meditation! The resonating sounds were really hypnotizing me. Sound Houses I - IV features some really engaging and challenging sounds, me likes. The stereo seperation on all of these tracks is really great, that's something I always have trouble with with my songs. (i know stereo seperation might seem trivial, but it's a big thihng for me Smile )

I always want to make "beatless" ambient songs a bit like these, where it's just synths and odd sounds and noises. But I never really have the guts to. I'm really happy to have found this community. So far I've discovered two great artists I like. Very Happy Thank you for sharing these! Sorry if my review was all aranged in unsorted chunks, I was streaming what I thought as I was going through the over one-and-a-half-hours of music.
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oops. Missed this post. Sorry for the delay in response & thanks for the great review Very Happy .

I've used balloons many times - great little instruments - but that's a bass clarinet on Quadrigemina played by Hein Pijnenburg of The Schreck Ensemble. He does some amazing things.

I'm big on stereo (I think Hendrix is largely responsible for that) and verb (probably my fave effect - from ambient depth to shredding feedback - thank you Les Paul!).

Quote:
I always want to make "beatless" ambient songs a bit like these... But I never really have the guts to.

Wow. I was amazed to see you say that. Considering your sound - the opening of Treetrain for example - I think it would be a natural for you to work in that direction. Hey-> go for it. I'd love to hear it.

Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Say Howard - and everybody else! -> though you might get a kick out of this one as we had previously shared some memories of being entranced as kids (and adults) by the uulations of the shortwave.

Check out Koorie Wind which I posted last night at ElectronicScene

lofi;

hifi

The wind chimes from my backyard are real (9 foot copper tubes mostly), but the 'tree frogs', 'cracking fire' and the 'didg' are all shortwave (with a wee bit of help & processing of course). I found that main pattern at roughly 6.2 meg and it just kept playing variations for hours and hours before it faded into the fold of other encroaching signals. I was just really floored by how much it not only had a didg-like timbre, including overtones, but by the way it mimicked the traditional playing style & technique. Shocked God on a didg. Think again about the Dreamtime.

Anyway, cool, huh?

(BTW there's also two new 'techno' tracks there -> yep, techno. Thought I'd give it a shot. Don't know how they fit in the genre, but I had a good time working on them Cool ).

Last edited by Michael Chocholak on Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mez, I really like this one. Very cool. I haven't listened to the techno ones yet, I just wanted to say I did this piece.

too much coffee well done well-done surprise thumb up

Just listened to the techno. That's cool too, but I prefer the shortwave derived one. I bet you knew I'd say that. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed WAIT! I screwed up the links. Somehow I linked to Ritual Reality instead (must be these late nights writing this stuff!).

Anyway, while RR is also a good one (glad you liked it Howard Embarassed Very Happy ), the one you want to listen to is Koorie Wind. Shortwave dreamtime. I fixed the original links so they should work now.

Ok... maybe some coffee would be a good idea... Rolling Eyes

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I like the other one, RR, better as a piece of music, but his one is still beautiful. The rhythmic noises sound like Amtor or Pactor. There are many variations of this. These are digital data communications modes. I haven't got any idea what the Didg sound is. Very haunting. That's shortwave, it's just organic. I understand your reference to God,

Thanks for posting this.
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha. Cool. Thanks for the listen. Both times. Yes, both draw on the 'exotic', but really occupy very different spaces. I just find it fascinating how those seminal influences continue to draw you to them throughout life. That whole sequence just mezmerized me (no pun intended). Even the cats dug it. Once I snapped out of it I had to use it. Had to listen to the raw recording again this morning just to make sure I hadn't gotten an ABC broadcast by accident.

But now, Amtor? Pactor? Digital communications codes. I'm off to search. (and hopefully not with 32,000 hits for super heroes & metal bands Very Happy ) THX.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a radio ham, so I'm familiar with these modes. Technically these are interesting, but the applicaitons are minimal.
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just did this one today. Perhaps the most enjoyable piece I've done in six months Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool

Ode to Spring;

lofi

hifi

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He He. I can tell you have a Harley, but the model is tough to tell. Should I take a chance?

I'd say it's a big one, not the Sportster. Sounds very smooth, not like my 1994 Springer. I'd say it's one with the new engine - probably fuel injection.

Let me know how I did, and post a picture... That is, when you get back.... Surprised
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooooooh. Ya had it there at the start. Nah, it's an 89 Sporty. The 883, but with some mods. Nothing big, not even the cam upgrade, just subtle alterations on the stock platform. Agile - got her down to about 450lbs. She'll do 120. But I don't. Not anymore anyway Very Happy . Besides, its kinda hard to breath at that speed Shocked . Carb, chain; neanderthal. Being a farmer I tend to try & keep things simple (and easily repairable Very Happy ). Yeah, it was hard to turn back once I got going. That first ride of the year is downright intoxicating (actually... they all are!).
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Got a pic of that '94 Springer?

Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, AgentA (who gave the Ode a great review at ES) pointed out to me that my first ride of the year occurred on the vernal equinox! Now that's synchronicity! Very Happy

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mezmer wrote:
Ooooooh. Ya had it there at the start. Nah, it's an 89 Sporty.

Well, one out of six ain't bad. Laughing

It sounds great!

Here's a pic of me and my sled. This is about 8 years old.

Changes:

Add 20 pounds to my gut Sad
Remove beard
Remove most of my hair
Remove glasses - got Lazik'd
Remove windshield - I'm hardcore now
Replace seat with studded HD seat
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice ride! Always dug those forks. It's gotta be a tough choice between the Springer and the Steinway. (probably depends on the weather?). Very Happy

Changes; yeah I can identify with a few of those. 'Classic mods', eh? Actually, since the water troughs are still frozen every morning, I just put my windshield back on - and started a beard again in the feeble hope that I can keep my face warm. Wink

Keep it hardcore & the rubber side down Cool !

Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And yet a few more. (Can't ride the bike all the time Very Happy ).

Some new tracks over at my site at DMusic. More accessable electro tracks somewhat in the mood of Bill Nelson; Peaches on the Half Shell, Laughing Dogs, Enigma of the Hour and Metaphysical Interiors. Actually musical Shocked . Conceptually like a Chirico painting (hence some of the titles) - minimal & straight ahead. If it's your thing too-> enjoy.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mezmer wrote:
Conceptually like a Chirico painting

you mean Giorgio De Chirico, I suppose Exclamation Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, that'd be the one! The Disquieting Muses... good title with potential for appropriation. Wink

Have you read Hebdomeros?

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Michael Chocholak wrote:
Have you read Hebdomeros?

no, tell me about it!

Quote:

what happened to Jack Endino Question Did he give up producing Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Its strange, Hebdomeros repeated to himself, as for me, the idea that something had escaped me would keep me awake, but most people can see, hear or read things which are totally obscure to them without feeling upset."

That's a fairly good ironic self description of De Chirico's surreal and dreamlike novel. Perhaps a literary form of The Disquieting Muses Very Happy . A short work well worth reading - if you like the surreal - although it held me less and less as it progressed. But then I've got the same problem with Joyce et al.

Nah, Jack is still around doing his thing, web page & all. I was just reacting to the sentiment that the apparent ultimate act of desperation would be to become a farmer Confused .

jkn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I listened to "in search of daedalus". Really loved the low end parts and the movement throughout. Didn't dig the starker high pitched dial tone bits as much on this listen - mood could be playing a factor. I thought you set up the tune really well before those sounds took the forefront - and I liked where it went through to the end.
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: