electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
College G2 Demo
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
analoghaze

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: College G2 Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am lucky enough to be putting myself through college for electronics engineering. Even better yet, 20% of one class is an oral presentation in which the teacher ok'ed me to demonstrate my beloved G2. (Computer Hardware Artechature is the class)
This is a 20 minute demonstration/presentation. I feel like a second grader with the coolest toy for "show and tell."
I am looking for ideas on what I should include. Nobody else in the class has the love of synthesis as I do, but we are all tech junkies. I will need to describe basic MIDI, and sequencers. I plan on doing it on PowerPoint. I can also project what is on the computer screen. I plan on using a laser pointer also. I need an idea for a cool handout.
What should be included in a demonstration of the G2 for a college technical class?
Any input is GREATLY appreciated.
I am going to demo all the Logic functions as well as the Mux.
Thanks
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: College G2 Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AnalogHaze wrote:
... This is a 20 minute demonstration/presentation. ...
... I am going to demo all the Logic functions as well as the Mux.

Well, if you want to talk about Midi and sequencers too... You really have to talk fast, very fast!!!

Wout
Chet

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratulations, you'll have a blast. But although an audience of engineers can absorb a lot, 20 minutes still isn't much time.

You may only have time for a collection of quick overviews: what's inside it, what does the USB hookup do, what exactly is a 'module' or 'wire' in the editor, play with an oscillator in the editor and then assign it to the front panel, etc.

Maybe a picture of a Moog or synthesizers.com synth would be in order.

I'd hold their interest by generating sounds. Such as that huge preset bells patch, a swept filter, a 50's sci-fi theremin, a fat bass, a big sequenced performance (like the hydro one), etc. Map the pitch/mod controllers to something cool and go wild.

Afterward, tell us about it!
Chet

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's an idea for your handout:

Include a picture of a 60s modular Moog, all patched up with wires hanging off of it. And then a picture of a G2 editor screen shot, all patched up with wires hanging off of it.

Your engineers will make the connection.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try to squeeze in the vocoder, people love vocoders.
analoghaze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: thanks for the replies everyone!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You really have to talk fast, very fast!!!

I know... I have already talked with the teacher about an extension.

My power point is on the history of electronics and there IS a picture of a patched up Moog Modular. Very Happy

I am already planning on using the Vocoder.

For the handout, I am providing a link to the Clavia website to try the free DL.

I have to cover ALL specs, which I will shoot through VERY fast. (all requirements and such)

A 3-5 page paper is also a requirement, and believe me, 5 pages double spaced covers NOTHING!! (already written)

What will really blow them away is showing them 50,000 patches taking up 220k on my flash drive!!!

What I plan on QUICKLY doing is:
A: History of Electronics in Music on Power Point. I hope this is under 4 minutes. Only 13 slides.
B: Explain the specs and requirements of the G2. (again as FAST as I can) This includes OS updates and "boring" stuff like that.
C: Explain the options avaible on the blank screen. (nothing patched)
D: QUICKLY build a "basic" patch. This includes:
1: Clock
2: Flip-Flop
3: Oscillator
4: In/Out
5: Sequencer
6: LFO
7: Envelopes
8: Filters

I want to explain Variations as well as the Patch Mutator.

I want to explain the ideas of polarity on LFO's and EG's.
I want to changed a wired in module by the drop down arrow.

I also need to explain MIDI.

Man... I need like an HOUR!!!!

They are going to have to tell me when to stop.
I already told the teacher, that I have ALOT to cover, but he has no clue what I have to show.

I can talk for 20 minutes about the Logic Functions. (may sound weird... but most of us in the class had a REALLY crazy digital class together last semister.... so they understand the basics... and beyond) Very Happy

Ok... now,. I just blabbing... Laughing

Thanks for the replies... the lecture is not until NEXT Thursday.
I am over prepared maybe.

Last edited by analoghaze on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
analoghaze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also plan on breaking down.... "reverse engineering" a COMPLEX pattern that I am assembling right now.

It is far out. 16 FF's triggering 4 Envelopes. Multple Logic functuions EVERYWHERE.

A-D Converters run from a Random Generator.

just nuts
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have to do a 20 min talk, plan for it to take 15 min. The rest of the time will be eaten up by questions.

Practice your talk, preferably in front of someone, but it's ok to practice talking to yourself.

IMHO, you are trying to cover too much material. Best to trim it down.

Good luck...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks for the replies everyone!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AnalogHaze wrote:
Man... I need like an HOUR!!!!

Much more...!
It took Clavia about two hours to explain the Nord Modular Classic to a group of highly heavy duty users of the synth Smile
Quote:
(may sound weird... but most of us in the class had a REALLY crazy digital class together last semister.... so they understand the basics... and beyond) Very Happy

And here is your pit to fall in!
These people want to know more, because they realize the possibilities. It will be frustrating for your audience Sad

Wout
analoghaze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If you have to do a 20 min talk, plan for it to take 15 min. The rest of the time will be eaten up by questions.

There is a set aside question time. Lecture to be between 15-20 minutes, and then 5-10 for questions.

Quote:
Practice your talk, preferably in front of someone, but it's ok to practice talking to yourself.

I have been practicing, even trying to time myself. I tried to give the presentation to my sister yeaterday, but everyone is too busy.

Quote:
IMHO, you are trying to cover too much material. Best to trim it down.

I realize this, but I love the machine so much, I am not sure where to trim.

thanks
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMHO, doing talks like this is probably more important training for you than whatever it is you are learning in your course work. No matter how smart and knowledgeable you are, you must be effective at communication.

Someone once told me that people can only learn three things at one time. A good talk should have three things you want the people to learn. If you have more, then they may get less from your talk than if you just have three.

Figure out the three things about the G2 that you want your audience to know. You can elaborate, of course, but it should be to reinforce one of the three main points.

For example:

1) The G2 is a direct decendent of the Moog modulars (and others) of the 1960s.

2) It has a very nice hybrid interface between the dedicated hardware and the general purpose computer

3) It has a very powerful user interface that enables you to control any parameter or parameters in the patch with the knobs.

That's plenty for a short talk.

I think a lot of slides will slow you down. Best to use just a few. The suggestion to have a pic of an old Moog modular is a great one. Since the G2 editor can be projected, that is really the most impressive visual.

Just some thoughts. Best to learn this by doing though. I'm sure you'll have a great talk. Being enthusiastic about your subject is by far the most important attribute for a talk.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What I plan on QUICKLY doing is:
A: History of Electronics in Music on Power Point. I hope this is under 4 minutes. Only 13 slides.
B: Explain the specs and requirements of the G2. (again as FAST as I can) This includes OS updates and "boring" stuff like that.
C: Explain the options avaible on the blank screen. (nothing patched)
D: QUICKLY build a "basic" patch. This includes:
1: Clock
2: Flip-Flop
3: Oscillator
4: In/Out
5: Sequencer
6: LFO
7: Envelopes
8: Filters

AnalogHaze,
Are you planning on using a G2 or the Demo s/w.
If I were you, I'd talk about B at the very end (f there is time) and skip A.
Wrt D.1 to D.8 -- I'd exclude a few things like the flipflop and LFO's but show some FX/delays.

I'd build the patch this way
D1,D4, D5 connected to D3,D8, D7 and then some fx....

and give a cd (or an email) with the demo s/w, sample patch, along with a link to electro-music.com Wink

Since this class is about h/w s/w architecture, it would be useful to describe how the system communicates with the host (with a protocol I assume like the NM1 did). You could also explain what happens under the hood when you add a module or change something -- ie silence for recalculation, and patch selfoptimization as well as changing the module on the fly (with the module drop down).

Just my $0.02CDN
/Dasz
analoghaze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great.. thanks guys.

I worked tonight, and decided to ditch the Flip-Flop, and Envelopes from the basic patch that I will build. It is going to be quite simple.

Quote:
Are you planning on using a G2 or the Demo s/w.

I am using a real G2.

Quote:
If I were you, I'd talk about B at the very end (f there is time) and skip A.

If it were up to me, I would leave both out. The teacher REQUIRES the specs. He is a freak that way. He also highly suggests power point, and I already did the History bit. I hope combined these take 5 minutes.

Quote:
and give a cd (or an email) with the demo s/w, sample patch, along with a link to electro-music.com

I never thaught of putting the demo onto a CD! That is an awasome idea. Thanks... I will do that.

thanks alot everyone!! Very Happy
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the cd is more effective than a link ... one less click to do and include your patch Wink

/Dasz
ps.: good patching tonight ... new sound too ...
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: How was it Haze? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haze,

How did it go? I imagine it would have been great fun.

IMO: One thing that really strikes me about the G1 and G2, is how useful they would have been at college (to aid learning). They should have them in schools too, I think the synth community would grow rapidly if they did.

R.

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Computer programmers can be made very enthusiastic to the Nord Modular and the G2 (since the conversion) by demonstrating some nice possibilities, like Ico Doornekamp's 'Pong' and 'Iclock', a digital CooCoo clock, which give the right time and CooCoo's the hours, Kees van der Maarel's patch which writes his surname 'KEES' on the screen of a scope, the patch 3Dcube (patches forgotten, but can be found) which generates a cube which can turned on the screen and a lot more...

What about Crosley's 'Wind up Toy', a classic on the Classic!

Unfortunately, some of Kees' speaking patches can't be converted to the G2... Sad

Wout
analoghaze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
How did it go? I imagine it would have been great fun.

It is this Thursday. Cool

I am ready. (maybe the only one in the class who is) We had our Midterm last Thursday.

MOST the class (only 13 ppl) is doing group presentations. I may be the only one doing it by myself. I will let you guys, and girls know how it goes.

I was using my G2 last night. (surprise, surprise) Very Happy I swear, it is the most AWASOME MIDI sequencer there is.

Cheers and thanks. [/right]
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I send you some of those 'computer programmer patches'. Try them out if they work Smile

Wout

Iclock02.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Iclock02.pch2
 Filesize:  6.15 KB
 Downloaded:  1615 Time(s)

KeesWriter.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  KeesWriter.pch2
 Filesize:  5.02 KB
 Downloaded:  1572 Time(s)

RussianRoulette.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RussianRoulette.pch2
 Filesize:  5.62 KB
 Downloaded:  1612 Time(s)

Shit!!.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Shit!!.pch2
 Filesize:  5.79 KB
 Downloaded:  1570 Time(s)

WindUpToy.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  WindUpToy.pch2
 Filesize:  4.53 KB
 Downloaded:  1690 Time(s)

analoghaze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The presentation went.... well just OK.

The demo on the CD was a BIG HIT!!!

I arrived at school; 40 minutes early, to set-up and make sure everything was OK, which it was.

I decided not to go first, opted for second instead. BIG MISTAKE!!!

EVEN LARGER MISTAKE...... I started my presentation.... Literally 10 seconds into it..... The "smartest kid" (18 years old... I am mid 30's) in the class runs up and says... "I need to adjust the resolution on your computer"

In a matter of 3 minutes with him messing with my computer IN FRONT OF EVERYONE he DELETED ALL MY PICTURES, and made the screen about 2 inches wide.

I asked him about 10 times to set it back, and the genious did not know how.

He finially sat down, after I asked him politely 3 times, and finially TOLD HIM TO SIT DOWN!!!!

I had to do the ENTIRE presentation on 1/10 of the screen because this "nerd" wanted to adjust the resolution on my computer screen.

The "crazy" part is..... my sister... a college teacher.... told me "Don't let ANYONE touch your computer"

It happend SO fast. The kid leterally walked up and started doing things in menus that I have never seen before, and HE COULD NOT SET it back. Sad

Needless to say I was FAR FROM happy and wanted to sit down to get my pictures back loaded and my screen looking "right"

But I kept my cool, and managed to BLOW the students away.

Making weird noises amused everyone.

I showed them a complicated patch using a bunch of logic functions.

Overall, it went good. But I learned a BIG lesson ..... what ever you do... do NOT let a kid run up and make adjustments on your computer while you are giving the presentation.

To my eyes, everything looked ok, but he is a computer genious and wants to buy a HD TV someday, so he "knows' best.

It took me 3 times ASKING him to sit down, and one time TELLING him to LET ME START.

I accepted the fact he ran up and jacked around on my computer, but I was so ready to present the G2, that I had to cut my losses and proceed.

I tried not to show my frustration, but anyone could see, it did not go as planned.

And then as soon as the kid sits down... the teacher says" OK we have to wrap this up" (aka.. finish FAST) And I haven't even started yet!!

The teacher talked during the presentations as much as the students. Which did not bother me, but some students were VERY bothered by it.

The reason it bothered one girl was because the teacher " took the climax of her entire presentation" He LOVES to talk, mostly to hear himself I think The teacher talked as much or more than the students. (during EVERY presentation) Giving pointers, facts, ideas, advice, knowledge... but, HE HAD NO IDEA IF THE STUDENT WAS GOING TO PRESENT THAT KNOWLEDGE AT A LATER TIME IN THEIR PRESENTATION!!!!

To me it just ads a little more stress, when the teacher interupts and begins lecturing the class for minutes while you satnd there, as he takes the info you are planning on telling everyone and saying it himself during your presentation.

This is the same teacher that points out in class if you even LOOK AT THE CLOCK!!!

I think if the "genious" would have left my computer alone, it would have been great. I also think the teacher should respect the presentation and KEEP QUIET UNTIL THE END, and THEN and ONLY then give knowledge.

My entire presentation seemed super rushed after that because 5 minutes was wasted aff the bat as everyone watched a kid come up and erases all my pictures and make 90% of my computer screen unvisiable. Twisted Evil

Live and learn .
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the update. Too bad it didn't go as well as you expected, but sounds like it wasn't a total disaster either.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now you understand why most students are armed with a six shooter when holding a presentation and why most teachers wear bullet proof vests...

Indeed, your sister is right and you have a lot of patience, just asking to leave your computer alone. I would act much more aggressive Sad

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW AnalogeHaze, you can always tell your teacher about his own behavior during the presentations. Your not just a kid, being in your mid thirties and you are able to address him as an adult to an adult. Most of the time they are just teachers because they have some knowledge about a certain subject, but they don't have any know-how about teaching itself...

Wout
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
BTW AnalogeHaze, you can always tell your teacher about his own behavior during the presentations. Your not just a kid, being in your mid thirties and you are able to address him as an adult to an adult. Most of the time they are just teachers because they have some knowledge about a certain subject, but they don't have any know-how about teaching itself...

Absolutely! I'd like to add that that doesn't just depend on age; if you're 10 you can also tell give feedback on your teacher's behaviour. The whole classroom situation is about power structures (inherently and by design) but if you also want to have a exhange of knowledge (that's not at all a given) you need some sort of intereaction and you can only have real interaction (and real comunication in particular) if you are on some level equals.

That last bit is often boycotted by the first element which is very sad and extremely counterproductive.

Thanks for the update! It'd be nice if more people would report in with the results of the conversations here.

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like yr teacher could do with giving his students a chance to prove themselves rather than interfering half way thru, n is there any chance you could launch the kid off a long set of stairs by 'accident'?

Cheers for the update.

R.

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All teaching is always a horizontal way of communication. Vertical communication is just following orders. But... age isn't the discriminating factor, because most people will never be able to think horizontal. Vertical thinking is always done by two!

Wout
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: