electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY Vocoder projects?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 6 [138 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
crashlander42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: DIY Vocoder projects? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are there any good DIY vocoder projects out there, or is my only option the Paia vocoder?

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3 on CAG
http://rubidium.dyndns.org/cag/
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the ELRAD vocoder.

BTW do really want to do that to yourself? a vocoder seems to be very odd to build. a lot of duplicate circuitry.

on the other hand all this community is about DIY Very Happy

crashlander42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
BTW do really want to do that to yourself? a vocoder seems to be very odd to build. a lot of duplicate circuitry.

I have to agree. After checking a few of those out I think I'm perfectly happy with my VST vocoders.

My DIY stuff Flickr
6079smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Paia vocoder is fairly straightforward and sounds pretty good. Less of a headache than some of those other projects.
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone have the schematics of the PAIA Vocoder?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, but the basic kit is very cheap.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have recently acquired schematics of the paia vocoder super simple [maybe too simple according to the 'mods' around the net]

i can furnish them to those who need 'em, but not post them to public cuz im unsure how they and mr. anderton'd like it..

i get the impression somehow that he's not too fond of his schematics traded freely round the net- but perhaps its all in my imagination??? i mean the 'hot tubes' and the 'centerstage spring reverb' are easy enough to find

oh but i think those were originally published in magazines anyhow
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

crashlander42 wrote:
Quote:

I have to agree. After checking a few of those out I think I'm perfectly happy with my VST vocoders.

Yes, there is a lot of duplicate circuitry, but this also means that once can readily make PCBs for the multiple analysis filters and VCAs. My vocoder project is definately going to wait until I have a decent-sized modular together.

One huge shortcoming of VST vocoders is that the channels are always pre-patched. A lot of the fun for me is cross-patching the channels. Also, if one wanted to make a lot of channels there are much more precise components out there these days which make vocoders which would have never been possible 25 years ago. Looks like designing a good one from scratch isn't trivial though. Still, with some effort the smaller, normalized vocoders out there can probably be patched out.

Can't think about this now, past my bedtime!
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you must have a vocoder module in your modular and its not a problem that its not diy or digital, get a s/h alesis metavox vocoder, the sound is ok (much better than the paia vocoder) and you can find it pretty cheap today, remove the pcb, its small enough to fit in a modularsynth module....
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:

i get the impression somehow that he's not too fond of his schematics traded freely round the net- but perhaps its all in my imagination???

That's a pretty accurate impression. Here's the rule of thumb I've always thought was useful: only post those things you yourself have designed. Let's let Craig decide if he wants to post his circuits without remuneration.

At the minimum, it never hurts to ask for permission. As our own Scott Stites from the land of Brownbackian illuminati and enlightened School Boards will confirm, I've almost never turned down a request for reprint rights myself. But the sad thing is, almost no one has ever bothered to ask.

As I told the guy from Australia who put out a kit of one of my circuits without permission, be bold: design your own circuit and you'll feel more manly!

And hey, it's great to be here! I'm delighted to see how well the SN Voice thing worked out for everyone.

Thomas Henry
andrewF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:

And hey, it's great to be here! I'm delighted to see how well the SN Voice thing worked out for everyone.

Thomas Henry

Hi Thomas
ThankYOU for sharing the SN-voice design -
(and Scott for his input....and Bill for the PCB)
i have built some of your SN76477 ccts from Polyphony but this latest was
something quite different, the ultimate SN design?? or are you brewing up more ideas?
cheers
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:
Thomas Henry

it's great to have YOU here, to have you with us. welcome thomas.
welcome

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:
And hey, it's great to be here!

salut welcome salut

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:

Thomas Henry

WHOA!!!

welcome welcome welcome

(and it don't get better than that! Very Happy)

A BIG welcome to electro-music Thomas Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas,

I never told you this, and it's the God's honest truth: Sam Brownback graduated from Parker High School in Parker, KS (it's an even smaller town in Eastern Kansas, Linn County - he'll never admit it, I think he lists 'Garnett' which is the closest town of any size). That's the same high school my father and mother graduated from. My uncle (my father's brother) was his classmate (and we're talking classes here that couldn't have been more than 20 to 30 students, tops). My father was a couple of years older. My father's gone, but I can still ask my uncles if there are any favorite head-in-the-toilet stories. So, yeah, that's true, I'm a bit Brownbackian in my origins, but it pretty much stops there.....

Now, the whole BOE thing - they're entertaining the notion of perhaps allowing just a smidgen of science to infiltrate the normal fairly tale curriculum. Just maybe, if Barbara Eden comes clean with how she really made stuff appear.....

Nice to see you drop by electro-music!

Cheerios,
Scott
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Thomas Henry is here!!! Thanks for all of your circuits and wisdom sir. thanks Now, as not to completely hijack this thread, I plan on trying the okita vocoder once my plate is clean. The pdf is Japanese, but I have a very good friend working on masters in Japanese, and may try and persuade them to translate for me, and possibly others interested. Although, maybe I should take some good advice and design my own!!! Laughing
-justin
crashlander42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And out of nowhere the legendary Thomas Henry appears in the thread I started. Good fortune smiles upon me. Big fan of your circuits.

I'll probably eventually get the Paia Vocoder kit. I like ordering kits from Paia since they're so well documented and easy. I'm just on a tight budget and can't afford them right now. I too have a friend who's taking Japanese, but he's way too lazy to ever translate that PDF for me. Let me know if you ever get a translation. I'd be interested in seeing it.

I actually have a vocoder on my MS2000. I've just never been that happy with it. Plus I like to be able to say I built it.

My DIY stuff Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:

welcome

Indeed great to have you here.

Thomas Henry wrote:

As I told the guy from Australia who put out a kit of one of my circuits without permission, be bold: design your own circuit and you'll feel more manly!

That's funny. Reminds me of something that Charles Ives said once. He funded many contemporary music concerts around the world, but kept it secret. Anyway, once he was at a concert and someone was making mocking comments about the music. He is reported to have said, "Shut up and open your ears. Listen like a man."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I just finished the voicing board for the Okita vocoder. 1168 holes etched, drilled, and stuuffed. Shocked Shocked Shocked Took me awhile to get a parts list together, as this year Japanese ->English translation is at a premium where I live. Google translator works wonders though, you'd be surprised what you can get by entering in things like: "tantalum capacitor" and " electrolytic". One question though: This design uses compandor chips(5) acting as VCA's to mix the program and carrier signals. Also one chip for companding. The parts list calls for NE570's, but all I have are SA571's. The pinouts are the same, as are the general specs. The datasheets are actually quite similar. I'm not especially worried about the companding chip, as I've swapped these in the past with no discernable difference. But I really don't have much experience with usung the chips as VCA's. I'm gonna try it anyway, but I just wondered in advance if anyone had thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.
-justin

Heres a pic:
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you breadboarded it first, right??

Wink

loooks swell!
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked woooow justin thats great work. post samples ASAP!!
great

ivan
crashlander42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked woooo...

I want one.

Have you considered cobbling together some English notes for us non-Japanese speakers? Can you point me towards a PDF of that PCB?

Will that PCB fit in my etching tub? Shocked

Let me know how it sounds. I'm definitely interested in building one.

My DIY stuff Flickr
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

crashlander42 wrote:
Can you point me towards a PDF of that PCB?

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/forums.html?subdir=Schematics%2FOOP%20Japanese%20Electronics%20Book&sortby=name

the voc and vocoder files at the bottom of the page,
there are more than one pcb to build the complete vocoder though....

cheers,

OLLIE
crashlander42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

Is the little board that sits to the left of the main vocoder board a necessity? I was guessing is was just a preamp.

My DIY stuff Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 6 [138 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: