electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
What I found in a pile of old CDs..
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: What I found in a pile of old CDs.. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This morning, I had been going through all my old(2+ years) backup cds that contained all of the source files for my songs. I'm preparing a new demo cd which is why I'm unearthing everything to be remastered. I came across a source files for this one song I thought I had lost! So I spent the last several hours fixing individual tracks and remastering the song as a whole. It had been poorly recorded (some tracks have two or three centered instruments playing with no way to seperate them), but I absolutelly had to fix it.

It's one of the four/five songs from what I consider "my best period", creative-wise. I will be including three other songs from that period (which I also have to remaster). but I'm so happy that I found the sources for this one! The original one sounded almost like mono AM radio. Wink

"Read a Book"
6:56
Top of this page.

Most of the distortion and crackle is intentional. I was going for a wall-of-sound feel. Enjoy!

-Etienne
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damned.. I gotta hear this on my big mac in the studio. Very Happy
It is kinda under construction right now.. hmm..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting one. Lots of contrasts, even different styles. I like the crackle and distortion on top of the reverberated sounds. The drum sounds seem out of place to me, it breaks the ambience and changes the focus. I guess that's the effect you are going for. This is quite unusual music - congrats for that. I think I need to listen a few more times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the listen. Very Happy

There's a lot I would of liked to fix with the percussion. Unfortunatelly it was recorded along with one of my main synth. I've uploaded a new version (same place), brought out some of the synths and lowered the noise a bit. Should sound better.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I listened to several other of you tunes. You have your own style which is very good. Keep it up...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is excellent music! Very Happy
WHich instruments did you use for this one?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I listened to several other of you tunes. You have your own style which is very good. Keep it up...

That is probably one of the best compliments anyone can give me. Smile Thank you. Although I often feel as if I'm deviating from previous styles every other song, when I listen to all of them in one sitting adn in random order, I do hear the same styles and colours in each one.

elektro80 wrote:
This is excellent music! Very Happy
WHich instruments did you use for this one?

Thanks! Very Happy The synth lines (there are about nine or ten of them total) were played with my GEM DSK-8. No midi, just plain old analog output. I like the low-fi warmth they have. Sometimes hooked up to one or two guitar pedals. It doesn't have any built-in distortion (and there's a lot of it in the song) so I just upped the volume as I was "playing" and let it clip. The pitch-shifting synth in the first half of the song was much messed around with afterwords. There's a little guitar. A tiny sample at the beggining, and a drone that you can start hearing at about 6:13-6:15, and is also one of the last sounds to fade out. Percussion is just free-for all. Razz I didn't spend too much time on it. Three samples, made three loops, and played around with them on virtual turntables.

I'm thinking of redoing the bassline at the very end, now that I'm much better at actually playing it rather than plucking a note every four seconds (three years have passed). I might also intruduce a softish guitar whine at the beggining (like I use at the beggining of some of my other songs, 'circuit love' and 'treetrain'), I think it would dance well with the leading bass synth.
Abaddon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it! It reminds me of a fusion between madlib and squarepusher with an extra little punch of drama thrown in. Very nice. Cool
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: