electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cubase
CuBase LE, MIDI Devices
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
panda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: CuBase LE, MIDI Devices
Subject description: Looking for a driver script for the Roland JUNO-D synth
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I would like to add the Roland JUNO-D as a native CuBase MIDI device, but this synth isn't provided in the devices menu.

I've had a look at xml-files for other synths, by exporting them, and then viewing them with MS Excel, but these files are rather large to hack manually. Also, I can't figure out what goes where, anyhow!

I'm aware of the fact that CuBase allows one to create the device file manually, but that's quite a tedious job too.

If anyone has already created, or tracked-down, an accurate device definition, then will you please consider sharing your file with me (perhaps by means of a file attached to your reply).

Many thanks in advance for your input.
Panda

PS: The JUNO-D claims to be a General MIDI 2 incarnation, so any ideas on this topic will also be welcome.
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CuBase LE, MIDI Devices
Subject description: Looking for a driver script for the Alesis Micron
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I recently acquired an Alesis Micron, but I have a little problem, Cubase is simply not seeing it. I've asked in other forums and everyone tells me "you don't need a MIDI driver, you don't need a script, if you have midi cables hooked up, your DAW should see your instrument."

Duh! Maybe Cubase is just blind?? Question

So I'm asking in the Cubase forum too. I notice someone else had a problem too!

panda wrote:
Hi, I would like to add the Roland JUNO-D as a native CuBase MIDI device, but this synth isn't provided in the devices menu.

I've had a look at xml-files for other synths, by exporting them, and then viewing them with MS Excel, but these files are rather large to hack manually. Also, I can't figure out what goes where, anyhow!

I'm aware of the fact that CuBase allows one to create the device file manually, but that's quite a tedious job too.

If anyone has already created, or tracked-down, an accurate device definition, then will you please consider sharing your file with me (perhaps by means of a file attached to your reply).

So how do you create a device file manually? Do you just type in the name of every patch? Is there some other stuff you have to put in there too?

I have a PDF file of the Micron patches, and I think it has MIDI numbers too. If I have to input all of these to a text file, why then that's what I'll do. What format do I do this in?

I don't even really care about MIDi all that much. But I'm kind of compulsive when it comes to silly little problems I can't resolve. It is a personal challenge Wink

Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How are you connecting the Micron into Cubase?

If you're using MIDI cables into an audio interface, I doubt Cubase will be able to recognize "oh! that's a micron."

If you're using USB, I think Cubase will recognize it once Windows recognizes it. That's how its always worked for my USB MIDI controllers.
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Low Note wrote:
How are you connecting the Micron into Cubase?

If you're using MIDI cables into an audio interface, I doubt Cubase will be able to recognize "oh! that's a micron."

If you're using USB, I think Cubase will recognize it once Windows recognizes it. That's how its always worked for my USB MIDI controllers.

I'm using in & out MIDI cables to a Lexicon lambda interface--because the Micron doesn't have a USB port.

How would I get Windows to recognize it? Even if I do create a working script, I still get a "not connected" message. Most of the time nothing records. Last nite I got something to record, but it wasn't music.... just a series of vertical lines. Huh???

So you're saying that sometimes a computer won't recognize a MIDI device?

Maybe the only reason it recognized my Yamaha was because I downloaded a USB MIDI driver and it has a USB port?

If that's so, then how did people do MIDI before USB? I'm just confused.

Maybe it doesn't really matter. Why do I need 2 synths for MIDI, as long as it sees my Yamaha and I can just use VST's. Shouldn't waste so much time on this, I should be PLAYING MUSIC.... but I have this compulsive attitude about computers... if there is a problem, I just feel like I have to keep picking away at it. RRRR!!

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another thought... never mind about recording...there HAS to be a way for the computer/MIDI/sequencer to "see" the Micron.... or else how could Micron users be talking about "loading sysex bundles" and transferring information?

The mystery deepens.... Confused

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
there HAS to be a way for the computer/MIDI/sequencer to "see" the Micron

Usually not ... MIDI has no provision for recognizing connected devices. You have to make sure to connect the device to a certain MIDI port and then in the software you have to select that MIDI port. Furthermore you'll have to make sure that the computer and the synth are set to the same MIDI channel, otherwise they will not see all of each others messages.

From another message you posted I got the impression that you think that audio can be sent over a MIDI connection. This however is not the case, one can only send event data over MIDI; like "turn on a note" with a certain velocity (volume), or "turn it off", or set a controller (like a filter cutoff frequency for instance) to a certain value.

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

From another message you posted I got the impression that you think that audio can be sent over a MIDI connection. This however is not the case, one can only send event data over MIDI; like "turn on a note" with a certain velocity (volume), or "turn it off", or set a controller (like a filter cutoff frequency for instance) to a certain value.

No, I don't think audio can be sent, but generally when you record MIDI you get a series of horizontal lines that you can open up in the note editor and "play" as musical notes.

I didn't get these...just a series of vertical lines that you couldn't see in the note editor at all.

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Empty banks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I'm still trying to figure out a problem in Cubase. I have an Alesis Micron connected via a Lexicon lambda recording interface. But all Cubase MIDI device manager says for the Micron is "empty banks". I even have an Alesis XML file, but Cubase won't recognize that.

Empty banks... no money???? Rolling Eyes

I can record a line of MIDI, but it won't play back properly and there are no "programs" available... the word "OFF" is checked.

I have it all set on channel 1 and the MIDI in/out is set to 'lambda" (the recording interface.)

So I wonder what's going on. Question Question

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cubase
Jump to: