electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 208 Random PCB
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 5 [125 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Buchla 208 Random PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Based on this schematic by Scott Stites:

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/buchla208_randv_532.png

It's a cool little random voltage generator. It uses the CD4015 as its core, has only one pulse input and four pseudo random CV outputs. The board layout has been confirmed. I've built one of these units and think that it's lots of fun. It does a lot for the tiny amount of panel space that it takes up.

I appear to be out of file space on electro music, so I'm posting these external links until I find a better home for them:

First the PCB, then PCB with parts placement.

208_URV_PCB.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  208_URV_PCB.pdf
 Filesize:  25.05 KB
 Downloaded:  3143 Time(s)

208_URV_PCB_Parts.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  208_URV_PCB_Parts.pdf
 Filesize:  77.29 KB
 Downloaded:  2965 Time(s)

Last edited by vtl5c3 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Super Cool! Thanks VTL5C3!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Buchla 208 Random PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
I appear to be out of file space
Fixed!
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buchla 208 Random PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Woot! Very Happy

And now to give you an earful of what this module can do. Two samples of the RND 208 playing 4 VCOs, just a steady pulse clock driving it. First track without FM, the second with. I'm just fading channels in and out manually to experiment with different mixes of the 4 VCOs being randomly played. I can't get over how complex the random melodies get with no pots to set anything.

http://web.pdx.edu/~rfahl/Audio/208rnd_4vcos.mp3

http://web.pdx.edu/~rfahl/Audio/208rnd_4vcos_w_FM.mp3

Blue Hell wrote:
vtl5c3 wrote:
I appear to be out of file space
Fixed!
Luka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have a bit of space left on my dual wogglebug panel so i could of these might be the ticket. good stuff, thanks for sharing

can you link the real schematic instead of the thumbnail pls vtl
i cant seem to get anything out of it except pixels

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild

Last edited by Luka on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Full size:

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/buchla208_randv_532.png
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks VTL

i will make a euroversion with printmounted jacks.
It is mostly drawn allready based on VTLs artwork
/mr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Few components, no critical layout.
Almost easier to build on veroboard? Smile
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the MP3s
inspires me to build one of these.

seems a pity to waste three sections of the 4016, would it be worth/work connecting the spare 4016 switches to three of the CV outputs and getting 3 psuedo random gate sources?
Photon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny, I was just last week looking over the schematic for this and drawing up a parts list so I could breadboard it. awesome work, vtl5c3.

Maybe this could coexist behind a panel with the sample and hold from the Buchla 266 Source of Uncertainty. If I remember correctly that uses just 2 sections of a 4016.

p
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why would anyone want to clone the Buchla 266? Laughing

I'm cleaning up my board layouts (also press & peel) for the 266 and will post them as I finish. It's a great module... actually 5 modules behind one panel.
Photon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wave
ringer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please, elaborate some more, thanks.

R

andrewF wrote:
I like the MP3s
inspires me to build one of these.

seems a pity to waste three sections of the 4016, would it be worth/work connecting the spare 4016 switches to three of the CV outputs and getting 3 psuedo random gate sources?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think what Andrew is getting at is one could feed a switch input with +V (or whatever level you like your gates), then run the control switch from one of the shift register outputs to each of the switch controls. This would produce a gate every time each of the connected register outputs went high.

This is pretty cool, VTL5C3 - I love those samples. I always thought this would make a great addition to a home-built SOU. Jeff Pontius and I got into the SOU functions - Jeff actually built one in MOTM format. I, on the other hand, got distracted.... Laughing

The design we worked on replaced the MM noise chip, which is close to unobtanium, with a white noise to comparator circuit. It actually worked out pretty well. The MM noise chip was cyclical; this setup wouldn't be. Peter Grenader was of the opinion that the cyclical nature of the noise IC gave the 266 SOU it's own noise flavor. I'm not a fan of cyclical digital noise, but I've never played with a real 266, so, couldn't tell ya.

The fluctuating random voltage function of the 266 SOU is the schnitz.

Cheers,
Scott

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was looking at the Music Easel panel layout, and can't really tell, so i wanted to ask here, are all 4 Random ouputs sent to their own banana jacks on the Music Easel? I do see 4 grey banana jacks along the bottom row of jacks on the front panel, but they aren't labeled. Just curious.
cbm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
I was looking at the Music Easel panel layout, and can't really tell, so i wanted to ask here, are all 4 Random ouputs sent to their own banana jacks on the Music Easel? I do see 4 grey banana jacks along the bottom row of jacks on the front panel, but they aren't labeled. Just curious.

Yes, each jack gets a unique random voltage. The four uncorrelated random outputs are one of my favorite Easel design features.

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently tried an experiment with the 4 outputs, feeding them into separate inputs on a CGS matrix mixer. I set the mixer into bipolar mode and fed four of its outputs into a dedicated VCO. All of a sudden, I was able to sculpt the pseudorandom sequences going into each voice. In a weird kind of way, it reminded me of Klee. Cool
cbm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
The fluctuating random voltage function of the 266 SOU is the schnitz.

It really is.

Random yet vaguely periodic, a beautiful thing.

Luka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is the fluctuating random voltage the basis of the wogglebug?
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
cbm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:

Yes, I think so.

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think so. Either that, or the Buchla 265 SOU, which is very similar to the Fluctuating Random Voltage section in the 266.

Luka wrote:
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
I recently tried an experiment with the 4 outputs, feeding them into separate inputs on a CGS matrix mixer. I set the mixer into bipolar mode and fed four of its outputs into a dedicated VCO. All of a sudden, I was able to sculpt the pseudorandom sequences going into each voice. In a weird kind of way, it reminded me of Klee. Cool

Yeah, I often think it would be cool to build a Serge-style shop panel of a bunch of the CGS 'random' circuits-- Digital Noise, Gated Comparator, Infinite Melody, Modulo Magic, Weighted Random Switch...Many of these seem to be very closely related to the Source of Uncertainty and other Serge 'random' modules.
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Waouhhh ! Easel flavour !

Did I say "AMAZING !" yet ?

Very Happy
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=218&t=19064

Coupled with your 218 vc-portamento, you can emulate the clock rate/slew time correlation, as on the 266, if using the same signal (1V/oct, velocity...) for controlling both parameters (S&H pulse input and Portamento cv input), aren't you ?
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funkyfarm wrote:

Coupled with your 218 vc-portamento, you can emulate the clock rate/slew time correlation, as on the 266, if using the same signal (1V/oct, velocity...) for controlling both parameters (S&H pulse input and Portamento cv input), aren't you ?

Funkyfarm, would you elaborate on this some? You use the same CV to control Clock Rate and Slew Time? Then what signal do you send to the 218 VC Slew-- one of the Random outputs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 5 [125 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: