electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
4051 multipurpose sequencer ideas
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
widdly

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: 4051 multipurpose sequencer ideas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking that you could use a 4051 analog switch as general module to do a bunch of things.

The clocking of the 4051 could come from anywhere. The 4051 has 3 pins for clocking from a binary number. A binary counter is one idea. Of course feeding it different signals could result in pleasant weirdness.

You could hang one end of a pot of each of the outputs. The Wipers connected to a common output and the other ends of the pots could be wired together and put on a switch between ground or connected to the output.

With this setup you could create stepped amplitude modulations by feeding the input with a oscillator signal. The switch would set to ground. The output would step through different amplitudes. It could then work as a LFO, Envelope, Amplitude sequence or Waveform generator depending on the clocking.

If you set the switch so it's connected to the output instead of ground and connected the input and output to where the 1M pot is in the cmos oscillator idea then you would have a pitch sequenced oscillator.

Since the 4051 is bidirectional, if you didn't connect all the outputs together you could feed 8 signals to the output and have a kind of wavestation type oscialator that switches between signals present at each of the eight outputs.

Does that make sense? I should draw a diagram.
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds like a great idea

diagram please!!

stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey so i found this schematic the other day and it's been very inspireing (im sure you all have seen it)

http://milkcrate.com.au/_other/sea-moss/02_arp.gif

I was thinking of adapter this circuit into a sort of random sequencer by changing the resistors to pots. Is it safe to believe with 3 clock signals coming from the 40106 would cause fairly random pitched tones then? Well, not random pitch i guess, but more like random order?

I'd assume as soon as you settle on a position of the clock knob the unit would stick to its pattern, but as you turn the knobs the pattern would change pretty randomly right? Logically it wouldnt be random but theres no way that we'd be able to tell what highs or lows from the 40106 clocks would be hitting the 4051's inputs?

Would adapting that schematic in this matter give me that false sense of randomness i'm looking for?
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have part of that in my lunetta - sans the 40106 oscillators. I wouldn't be without it Smile

I run the ABC inputs and the output direct to jacks on the panel. It makes a voltage sequence from lfo's or hi/Low bits that I send to my 555 VCO or to power inputs on a 40106 oscillator.

Here's a raw clip of the 4051 being fed by 3 slow 40106 LFO's. I send the output into a simple 555 VCO.

Toward the end of the clip I vary the speed of the lfo's a bit.

This is pretty raw, but will give you an idea of what it does.

bruce

Lunetta4051.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Lunetta4051.mp3
 Filesize:  782.04 KB
 Downloaded:  1832 Time(s)

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
stolenfat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome clip!
thanks for the idea

do you use a set resistor chain on the out put of the 4051? Or do you have them rigged up to pots like what was suggested at the top?

One thing i thought might be a problem is if you wired the pots in series instead of parallel then if one pot's resistance is to high, then down the chain there would be no sound because of to much resistance in a previous step/output. You ever encounter that problem? But then again, that might make for some interesting pauses in the sound.

I'd go nuts with these logic chips but i'm going to have to wait till payday before i can sweep up a bunch from my local jameco.

Oh also, if things were rigged up in the manner i offered above then variable clock speeds with give you whacky kinda random out puts right? i think i here that in your clip, i feel like patterns are created because some out puts are beng duplicated and others missed, and then when you change a clock speed different out puts are chosen over others creating the kinda 'melodies' i heard.

Thanks!
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stolenfat wrote:
do you use a set resistor chain on the out put of the 4051?

I use a resistor chain - but check this out for using pots.
http://milkcrate.com.au/_other/sea-moss/08_custom.gif
(I used several ideas from that site in building my Lunetta)

I love the melodic patterns I can get from the 4051 - Just a small change on the inputs will really change the flavor of what you get out of it.

If you come up with any other great ideas while building please post them Wink I'm always more than happy to steal ideas for my own benefit!

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
jnuaury

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

back in the lunetta sound samples thread i had a clip of a sequencer i built using the 4051 that is pretty much exactly like that link RF just posted but i had a rotary switch that gave different divisions from the 4040 to the B and C inputs of the 4051

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/lunetta2_856.mp3

the sequencing capabilities of the 4051 is pretty awesome
you can wire the output voltage of those 8 pots to other 4051s simultaneously
then you can use something else to clock the A, B, and C inputs
like if you switch the A and C inputs on the second 4051 youll have one sequencer that cycles forward and another that cycles backwards
eventually ill make myself a 8 step sequencer with this that maybe has 4 or 5 outputs that are each stepped through in their own individual patterns

stolenfat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you could use a 'three pole dual throw' to take the incoming signals at A B and C and route them to C B and A and effectively make a forwrd/backward switch right

nice
jnuaury

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stolenfat wrote:
you could use a 'three pole dual throw' to take the incoming signals at A B and C and route them to C B and A and effectively make a forwrd/backward switch right

nice

well you only need a dual pole if you dont plan on changing the B input.

i used a 2P6T rotary switch for the first one i made. it only changes the B and C inputs so you get 6 different patterns available

EDIT: ohhhh yes you can use a switch instead of a separate chip if that is what you were hinting at but i was giving an example of how you can use multiple 4051s to generate different sequences from the 8 pots that would be available simultaneously and separately... a "polyphonic sequencer" (wow doesnt that sound fancy now)

stolenfat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jnuaury wrote:
well you only need a dual pole if you dont plan on changing the B input.

ah yes i see! Good call with the rotary idea too, lots of versatility there.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: