electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Need help with YU-Synth Arp 4072 VCF
Page 2 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
yusynth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great !

Yes it does sound amazing, have fun with it !

Cheers

Yves

Dego

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should I match the 2SA798? Does it sound better then? And what type of caps should I use for the matched 470 pf? I have polyester available at home.
yusynth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dego wrote:
Should I match the 2SA798? Does it sound better then? And what type of caps should I use for the matched 470 pf? I have polyester available at home.

2SA798 are matched pairs already therefore you don't have to bother about that Wink
If you match the 470 pF caps it's fine but it is not necessary.

Dego

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great. I was confused after fast reading of earlier page. I have matched the caps and will finish the filter today. But the panel has to wait Sad
Luka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm seriously cursed by this deisgn yves, i built another and it is not working. :/
this time my poles are working, my cv section is working however im not getting any output.

i have signal at pin 9 and 10 on the tl074
i am measuring about +13v at pin 8 of the tl074 and not sure where that is coming from. the resonance knob is only putting out about 6-7v or so

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Luka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fixed
woot
i love this filter

yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Luka

This was easy fixing this time Wink

Enjoy your filter !

Luka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeh just a flux connection between 2 pins on the tl074
easy fix

Thalassa

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yesterday I've finished my ARP filter and I have a dudes about the trimming procedure. I'm not so sure about where I have to measure the voltages for V/Octave tracking.

Someone can explain it? if someone could upload a pictures with the nodes where I have to make the measures will be great.

yusynth

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See picture below

ARP-NODE.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.65 KB
 Viewed:  20098 Time(s)

ARP-NODE.gif

Thalassa

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Yves, I will check it tomorrow Smile , but just tell you that even with no good trimming filter sounds great ,so I can't wait to hear it with good calibration Smile
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way the voltage values given on my page are indicative, that is they are close to the right setting but then one still has to improve the V/Oct tracking by ear.

I agree this filter sounds sweet and great !

Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My Panel for a second Yusynth ARP clone is ready, gonna solder now the Board.
I might have asked allready but could not found it:

The panel is prepaired to have Insertpoints for the Feedbackpath.
As far as i understand things R43 might be the point to make the insertionpoint.
I guess after R43. Is this a good guess ?
yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

Here is a diagram showing the insertion point. Unsolder the leg of R43 and solder a wire on the free pad and another wire on the resistor (R43) leg. The wires are to be connected to a SPDT.

insertion.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.59 KB
 Viewed:  20005 Time(s)

insertion.gif

Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much Yves !
Thalassa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Yves, I'm writing this just to let you know that I have the chance to make a side to side comparative between your 4072 clone and a Odyssey 4075 filter, that is supposed to be the same filter as the 4072 but this one was used on the 2600.

My conclusion is that you have make a very very very very good job . The overall sound is the same , the only difference that I've noticed is on the resonance but only when you are using an ADSR to modulate the filter frequency ( so probably is due the differences between ADSR responses ). On my 4072 clone I've kept the original resonance response of the ARP 4072 filter. ( R43 suppressed)

I've made this comparative using a Synthesizers.com VCO ( saw and square ) and a ARP Odyssey VCO ( saw and square ) and believe me, if you close your eyes you can not tell which filter you are listening. The filter cut-off has the same response , the sound is the same...

Congratulations for your great job Yves.

yusynth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Thalassa

Thank you very much for this blind test. It is very interesting because I designed this "clone" without having the original stuff to compare with and I always wondered if I succeeded or not to capture the essence of this filter. Now I know Cool

Enjoy your ARP filter !

Yves

Thalassa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I have time I will upload audio files or made a youtube video Smile

PS : you can listen the ARP Odyssey that I've used for the comparative on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9EtZxCcVXM

Thalassa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here it is the comparative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yeg59-1uDc&fmt=18

The audio is not the best as should be ( youtube sometimes make sutupid things) so you can hear the original audio file here

[url]
http://www.4shared.com/file/117820238/7a7254d1/ARP_Odyssey_4075_filter_vs_Yusynth_ARP_4072_filter_clone.html[/url]

As I've told you before, Yves you have made a very very very good job with this filter Smile wow! wow! wow! thanks thanks

yusynth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the praise Thalassa.

I have added your video on my site.

Cheers

Yves

Thalassa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that Yves Smile

As you can hear on the video your filter sounds almost the same as the original only slight differences on resonance but you can get the same sound changing a bit the resonance parameter , for example 60% of resonance on the original is not the same as on yours , but even could be due differences between calibrations.

Ps : Thsnk for the ling to my blog Smile

bonusplays

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished wiring up a Bridechamber kit for this filter, plugged it in and nothing! Well, not quite nothing, you see I get a very faint audio signal when the resonance is all the way up and self-oscillating. When I tried turning the trim pots the self-oscillating tone rose or fell depending on what I turned.

I'm pretty confident about my wiring and soldering job (isn't everybody until that's obviously the problem?), so I'm looking for ideas about where to start trouble shooting.

It seems like something is working. Do I maybe just need a new LM3900? Is the signal in not reaching the filter stage? I may just have to wait until I get back my scope and meter in a week or two.

Thanks for making this great filter clone! I'm very eager to have it working.
yusynth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bonusplays wrote:
Just finished wiring up a Bridechamber kit for this filter, plugged it in and nothing! Well, not quite nothing, you see I get a very faint audio signal when the resonance is all the way up and self-oscillating. When I tried turning the trim pots the self-oscillating tone rose or fell depending on what I turned.

Are all the ground connections soldered ?

bonusplays wrote:
I'm pretty confident about my wiring and soldering job (isn't everybody until that's obviously the problem?), so I'm looking for ideas about where to start trouble shooting.

Wink have it checked by someone else, we are all blind to our errors !

bonusplays wrote:
It seems like something is working. Do I maybe just need a new LM3900? Is the signal in not reaching the filter stage? I may just have to wait until I get back my scope and meter in a week or two.

Thanks for making this great filter clone! I'm very eager to have it working.

If you can have an oscilloscope you can check the signal at the various checkpoints listed on the previous page of this thread. It will help diagnosig the problem.
Having a second LM3900 at hand would be great !

Thalassa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello :

I was wondering if there's significant difference between use Wima FKP2 2,5% of tolerance capacitors and the 1% suggested.

I've made mine using the 2,5% but I was going to order a bunch components and I want to know if will be worthwhile to buy the 1% tolerance capacitors. I only found them at farnell and they are quite expensive 1,25€ each.

Pablo

yusynth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I say 1% this means that you may use a bunch 2% or even 5% but that you have to select among them those which are within a range of 1%.

Say you have a dozen of 470pF 5%, you measure the value of each of these and you pick the four capacitors which values are close from each other within 1%, this means that these may be for example 475pF, 473pF, 470pF, 474pF... or even 480pF,485pF,483pF,482pF

What is important is that the four values are close from each other, not that they stick to 470pF Wink

Page 2 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: