electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
pulse width modulation question
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
teddexter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: pulse width modulation question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
Am looking to turn an oscillator from a 40106 or 4093 into one where I can control the pulsewidth either with a pot or vactrol or some other method of voltage control.

It takes ages to search for specific stuff on these forums, but I expect its already covered somewhere. Looking for a simple schematic that covers just that aspect rather than a real bells and whistles oscillator, so I can adapt my current ideas to suit.

Just doing an oscillator with variable resistor between the in and out and a 0.1uf cap going to ground.

Cheers
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first schematic in this thread http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-23878.html has a pulse width control. If you removed the polarity switch and fed a control voltage into pin 1 of the pulse width pot in theory you could modulate the pulse width.
You could also replace the pot with a vactrol or put a vactrol in series with the pot and do modulation that way.

For another way to do it have a look at the thing I posted in this thread http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-35512.html, ignore the opamp and the rest of the stuff. The pot connected to the 2 diodes controls the pulse width. The only problem with this is that the pitch changes as well as the pulse width.
teddexter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Slacker,

Thanks once again. I'm drawn to the second option for some reason. So its a couple of diodes and a pot. Is there a preferred diode type. Thats the sort of thing I was hoping to find. I have some 1N914s and some germanium diodes knocking about. Would it work ok off 12v as thats the power supplies I have. Well I'll just try it rather than the twenty questions!Smile Report back soon.

Have we also tried the sample and hold from a CD4016 in the Don Lancaster. Thats what I want a pulse for as at the moment I feed it a square wave to open/close the switch. Effective, but its only every other note that is "sample and held" because the switch is held on for half the time, so I figure I need a shorter pulsed input to fix that. Does that make sense?

Cheers
Ted
teddexter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah just realised that you say the freq changes with the pulswidth on the second (must read properly) so thats a little off putting as not the intended result for me. I'll try both anyway.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

teddexter, try this thread:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-35512.html

It uses a pot with two diodes in the feedback loop to control duty cycle.

Les

slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

teddexter wrote:

Have we also tried the sample and hold from a CD4016 in the Don Lancaster.

As it happens the rest of that schematic snippet I posted is exactly that Smile
To get a thin pulse to drive the CD4016, actually CD4066s in my case, I'm basically using the first method I posted, but without the pulse width pot, just the resistor (R6) connected to the positive supply. That gives you a thin positive going pulse.

The idea, once I get all the bugs worked out, is that you'll have 3 triangle, square and possibly ramp LFOs, each one using 2 stages of a CD40106 that also drive 3 sample and holds.
teddexter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Inventor. Slacker already posted that link though. Grateful for the help anyway though!

I liked the bugs circuit because you can adjust the pitch separately so you would get a pulse I could use for my s&h as well as for audio. However the pulse looks a bit gnarly perhaps due to capacitor's influence

[img]http://www.crowphonics.com/images/pulsewave.bmp[/img]

This means it doesn't send the s&h switch into closed state for long enough so is not behaving right. Will try the method of reversing the polarity but I suspect same would occur. I could perhaps clean up with a comparator circuit, but would need to use op amp I guess (not so religious about lunetta rules if I do this). Or could try the diode method just for the s&h and the cap method for a VCO (I like the gnarly sound so thats not a problem there).

Updates to follow later.

Cheers and Thanks
Ted
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: