electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Usage reduction and portamento question
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Stomper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Usage reduction and portamento question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Im trying to make a supersaw pads patch.
i forgot to take the patch file with me, so ill just write it down for now.

1 keyboard1 input
1 1 output
1 master osc
7 slave saw oscs
1 filter d
2 adsr envelopes
1 lfo a
1 8 inputs mixer
i also have a waveshaper and lfo modules in the poly vioce area.

i want to use at least 5 voices with this patch but only get 4 (i dont have an expension card).
how can i reduce the usage in this patch to get one more voice?

my other question is about the portamento modules.
the manual doesnt explain how to use these modules in a patch, only how to set a global setting in the synth.
can anyone explain how and where do i connect to make the pitch glide?

Regards,
Stomper.

SuperSaw.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SuperSaw.pch
 Filesize:  2.06 KB
 Downloaded:  407 Time(s)

Last edited by Stomper on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi stomper, i'm not behind my machine, so i cant really experiment with your 1st question. on the g2demo, here you have an answer on your 2nd question. the portamento can be controlled with the 1st morph knob.
you can replace the mono keyboard with a polyphonic one. you van use an other morph knob too. velocity f.i.

Simple portamento.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Simple portamento.pch2
 Filesize:  1013 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1389 Time(s)

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With regard to your issue regarding the number of notes poly, you'll need to reduce your osc count to get that many notes, I tried and to get more than 4 note poly (e.g. 7-8 depending on fx area load) you need to use 6 or less slaved osc, no way round it. Sad

Patch attached:

Multi Saw.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Multi Saw.pch
 Filesize:  2.56 KB
 Downloaded:  348 Time(s)

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A couple of other ideas for getting a big fuzzy supersaw with reduced DSP:

1. Use more than one Master osc and connect a separate triangle LFO to each one and and set the LFOs to very fast vibrato like about 18 to 25 Hz, with each LFO at a different rate. Try maybe four masters oscs, eahc with their own LFO, and one saw slave osc controlled by each master ocs.

2. Try using some saw LFO modules running at audio rates as substitutes for some of the regular oscs. The LFOs use much less DSP. They may not sound as good but that can be OK if you use a combination of regular oscs and a few extra audio-rate LFOs to fill in the sound.

Stomper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
hi stomper, i'm not behind my machine, so i cant really experiment with your 1st question. on the g2demo, here you have an answer on your 2nd question. the portamento can be controlled with the 1st morph knob.
you can replace the mono keyboard with a polyphonic one. you van use an other morph knob too. velocity f.i.

i knew it was simple Smile
thnx!

Stomper.
Stomper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
1. Use more than one Master osc and connect a separate triangle LFO to each one and and set the LFOs to very fast vibrato like about 18 to 25 Hz, with each LFO at a different rate. Try maybe four masters oscs, eahc with their own LFO, and one saw slave osc controlled by each master ocs.

Do you mean one slave controlled by all the masters or 4 slaves each controlled by a different master?

as for using lfo as osc, i rather not. sound quality is important to me, so if i wont find a way around it, ill just use something else.

thnx everyone for trying.
im gonna upload my patch, maybe it will make it easier to find a way.

Regards,
Stomper.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Usage reduction and portamento question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stomper wrote:
Hi,

Im trying to make a supersaw pads patch.
i forgot to take the patch file with me, so ill just write it down for now.

Try searching the forum messages for supersaw or similar.
I remember one guy posted a patch that he did on the Micromodular that was extremely buzzy- and very good sounding.
I don't remember the DSP usage- but the sound was quite amazing.
I think the user was GeneralElectrik (sp??)

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stomper wrote:

Do you mean one slave controlled by all the masters or 4 slaves each controlled by a different master?

Four slaves each controlled by a separate master osc. This will let you have separate LFOs, all at different rates, controlling each saw osc.

Like in the attached patch. This one uses six slave oscs and six master oscs and six LFOs for fast vibrato at six different rates, and then basically doubles the entire signal chain for a stereo effect with double the filters etc., so you could simplify it a lot and still get a big sound and a lot of voices. It also uses an AD envelope to add a pitch glitch to the oscs during the attack, with some oscs modulated positive and some negative. (The bottom three modules in the second column).

Hoover Craft2.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Hoover Craft2.pch
 Filesize:  4.54 KB
 Downloaded:  370 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: