electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Pulse wave demodulator
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Pulse wave demodulator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On another topic, http://electro-music.com/forum/post-290079.html#290079 , the G2 guys are talking about using their synths to control external equipment. Believe it or not, there is no CV output from a G2. Some guys are modifying their machines to short out the decoupling caps on their output. This works, but one accident and poof, there goes your prized G2. Rolling Eyes

I was thinking that a simpler method would be to build a simple Pulse Width Demodulator for the output. This would be external. A Pulse Width Modulator would be very simple to patch up in the G2, of course.

I don't build any more, as many of you know, so I'm planting the seed for a discussion here with the hope that some of you will take this idea and build upon it so that we can come up with a useful circuit.

So, here's the ideal. A pulse width modulator is simply a square wave running at a constant frequency that is with a CV to adjust the pulse width. That's trivial to do in a G2. The demodulator is a circuit that converts the audio signal back to a CV, for controlling external gear like a Moog filter or whatever.

The basic circuit is just an OP amp integrator,

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Anyway, if one selects the cap value correctly, then the output will follow the pulse width. I'd suggest using about a 10 KHz square wave in the G2 so the demodulator will run fast enough.

A second op amp circuit with inversion, offset, and scaling would make this thing more useful for the G2 users.

I think this isn't a bad thing for modular builders to have in their bag of tricks.

Please, those that are interest, take a look at this and see if you can flesh this idea out into something that will work. I think a lot of people would appreciate it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

an integrator is a kind of lowpass, isn't it? anyways, i would think this is the common way to create CV from PWM. however the lowpass i.e. tom wiltshire uses is a little bit more complex...

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
http://www.electricdruid.net

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howards circuits has a lil problem, but I don't think it will be fixed by a circuit as posted by Matthias.

The problem is that that the circuit is coupled AC to the synth, so the average Vi will be zero, no matter what the pulse width is. So Vo will be zero as well.

I think an AM system should be used, i.e. an averaging rectifier instead of an integrator.

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Howards circuits has a lil problem, but I don't think it will be fixed by a circuit as posted by Matthias.

The problem is that that the circuit is coupled AC to the synth, so the average Vi will be zero, no matter what the pulse width is. So Vo will be zero as well.

I think an AM system should be used, i.e. an averaging rectifier instead of an integrator.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-290103.html#290103
varice wrote:
Sorry, but you cannot derive a DC signal from an integrator that is getting an AC signal input! For that integrator idea to work, the input signal must already have an average DC offset!

If you are really scared of modifying the G2 for DC output, then amplitude modulate a square wave output and use a fast response envelope follower. That would work... kinda...

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could use a standard FM transmission link? Like an FM tape recorder?

There was some discussion at Muffs about doing the same thing for an AC coupled sound card.

edit: it's here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-13486.html&highlight=sound+card+coupling

Very Happy

Ian
varice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
You could use a standard FM transmission link? Like an FM tape recorder?

What are you saying? Please explain...
frijitz wrote:
There was some discussion at Muffs about doing the same thing for an AC coupled sound card.
edit: it's here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-13486.html&highlight=sound+card+coupling

Ummmm... in that thread it was suggested (as I already have) that a fall back solution to a DC output mod is to use an amplitude modulated output with an external envelope follower...

frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by frijitz on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
parasat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why not use a LM1496N for the modem?

I assume the G2 can mimic a ring mod with one channel dc coupled.

Use the LM1496N to demodulate, then voila, your both right (kinda) Smile

-parasat
who now has visions of G2s running x-modem protocol and circular redundancy checks on the outboard DAC...
varice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deleted stupid post

Last edited by varice on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
frijitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by frijitz on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why not just blocking the negative excursions of the PWM signal on the input of the demodulator?
varice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deleted stupid post

Last edited by varice on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pulse wave demodulator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
On another topic, http://electro-music.com/forum/post-290079.html#290079 , the G2 guys are talking about using their synths to control external equipment. Believe it or not, there is no CV output from a G2. Some guys are modifying their machines to short out the decoupling caps on their output. This works, but one accident and poof, there goes your prized G2. Rolling Eyes

I was thinking that a simpler method would be to build a simple Pulse Width Demodulator for the output. This would be external. A Pulse Width Modulator would be very simple to patch up in the G2, of course...

Mosc's circuit would track frequency changes -- you wouldn't necessarily have to control it with the duty-cycle.

If you use FM instead of PWM, then you don't have to worry about DC coupling issues. Would that work?

frijitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
why not just blocking the negative excursions of the PWM signal on the input of the demodulator?

Yes, of course. Two ways to do this: (a) a half-wave rectifier using a diode to clip the negative excursion, (b) put the signal through a comparator referenced to ground. I think Howard's scheme is probably the simplest method to use for this problem. But I would probably use FM demodulated by a LM331 F/V converter.

Very Happy

Ian
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry if this is a stupid idea, but couldn't you just basically use an envelope follower type circuit?
Feed it an audio signal that changes in volume, and you'll get a DC CV out of it.
varice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slacker wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid idea, but couldn't you just basically use an envelope follower type circuit?
Feed it an audio signal that changes in volume, and you'll get a DC CV out of it.

No, an envelope follower is not a stupid idea Exclamation And it has already been suggested.
varice wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-290103.html#290103
varice wrote:
Sorry, but you cannot derive a DC signal from an integrator that is getting an AC signal input! For that integrator idea to work, the input signal must already have an average DC offset!

If you are really scared of modifying the G2 for DC output, then amplitude modulate a square wave output and use a fast response envelope follower. That would work... kinda...

Last edited by varice on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oops I missed that Embarassed
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what about the G2 side? would one prefer PWM or FM? does it matter at all?
kkissinger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

You could place a Schmitt trigger prior to the integrator. Then, the average Voltage will vary with the frequency and/or the pulse width.

Incidentally, this is the technique that the Paia Theremax uses to convert the Theremin's pitch to a control voltage output that tracks pitch.

http://paia.com/ProdArticles/theresch.htm

Check out purple-highlighted section at the lower left.

varice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to apologize to Howard, Ian, and parasat for my harsh tone and criticism about this topic. It was totally unnecessary. I will go back and clean up my posts.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

You could place a Schmitt trigger prior to the integrator. Then, the average Voltage will vary with the frequency and/or the pulse width.

Sure, any kind of comparator could convert the AC coupled output from the G2 into a nice solid rectangular wave. The effect of that AC coupling cap is neutralized by a zero crossing detector. Good suggestion.

FM demodulation as suggested would work, of course, but PWM is much simpler. IMHO. Most FM demodulators work over a relatively narrow frequency range. They usually detect a time varying signal, not necessarily a constant, but that's not to say it can't be done.

The AM modulation scheme that was suggested will work too, but it is hard to calibrate the G2 output. This is because there are so many ways the amplitude of the G2 can be changed both in the patch and in the G2 system. My experience in playing the G2 almost exclusively in live performance teaches me this. The PWM doesn't need calibration because the level of the output is not critical.

A quad op amp and a few passive components would do the trick. Input comparator - integrator - invert, scale and offset. One free op amp.

With a little more design you could superimpose a gate or AM on the PWM output to generate a gate or even a second CV output. This adds more complications on both ends.

There is more that can be done, but just getting a single CV with PWM shouldn't be that difficult.

Thanks for the comments. Good ones.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a diagram of a suggested implementation. If someone could try it out and report back, that would be nice. I haven't done building in a long time.

Remember to get this to work well, the higher the freq of the PWM signal in the G2 the better. I suggest 10 KHz as a good compromise for high frequency responsiveness and stability.

Ci is selected by experiment. One could trim Ri as well.

PWM-CV-decoder.png
 Description:
PCM to CV demodulator suggested for providing a G2 type synth with a CV output.
H. Moscovitz - Apr 1, 2010 - no foolin'
 Filesize:  45.69 KB
 Viewed:  215 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

PWM-CV-decoder.png

kkissinger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, time to get out the breadboard!

You may need to apply some negative bias at the junction of the 100K resistor and the - input to the comparator. This will prevent unwanted firing of the comparator at narrow or 0% duty cycles.

An alternative to negative bias would be to apply positive bias to the + input -- that is, you would reference the comparator to an above-zero value rather than to ground.

I've been working lately with op amp based Schmitt triggers and comparators -- they can get fussy when the input voltage is at or near zero.

varice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The AM modulation scheme that was suggested will work too, but it is hard to calibrate the G2 output. This is because there are so many ways the amplitude of the G2 can be changed both in the patch and in the G2 system. My experience in playing the G2 almost exclusively in live performance teaches me this. The PWM doesn't need calibration because the level of the output is not critical.

In cases like mine though, where I’m also sending raw audio from the G2 to the moogerfooger filter, the G2 Patch Level and Master Level undesirably affect that level as well. So, one would still need to keep these levels fixed. The relative input level immunity of the PWM/integrator would not be of any benefit. The AM/envelope follower scheme is a more simple solution (as an alternative to a DC output mod). I simply leave the G2 Patch Level and Master Level set to max (which is a good thing to do anyway in the digital domain) and control the final patch output level with a mixer module within the patch. The master level is set by outboard mixer/monitor volume controls.

In my opinion, the best idea is to get a DC CV signal output (just like other modular synth CV output signals) for external control. The various AC to DC convertor schemes are overly complicated and full of unnecessary compromises. None of them can derive a DC output that has the same speed and integrity as the original DC signal. If there are concerns about protecting the DC output circuit, then the effort should be directed to just adding some protection instead of trying to come up with an AC to DC convertor compromise. Some protection ideas are discussed in my thread, including adding a current limiting/short circuit protection resistor in series with the DC output (as I did), adding a couple of overvoltage clamping diodes (as suggested by Jan), and adding a DC buffer opamp that could also double as a level amplifier/scaler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: