electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
OSX Editor no longer opening
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
foss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject:  OSX Editor no longer opening Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help or has similar problems?

For some reason my nord editor [beta] for OSX has stopped working. It had been working fine but now when i open it i get a warning that reads- "Assertion Failed: MacGraphic.cpp, line 199"

I tried reinstalling my osx thinking it could have been an OS update to no avail and i tried reseting my clock to 2003 thinking it could be related to the new year with no avail. The editor refuses to open even without my Fastlane and Nord attached so it is definately a software not hardware failure.

If ANYONE! can help me with this i would be delighted. This is a real hinderance and my 7 year pc bit the dust so i am stuck ATM. I'll be raging if Clavia have built a lifespan into their software to try and force you to upgrade!

Help!

foss
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think we have a thread here somewhere discussing a similar situation where the OS X Editor app was not launching.
You shold try to find that one. .. It is here somewhere...

Uh..

I might want to kow which mac you are using, OS cersion .. and do you use the editor when logged in as admin or as a regular user with restricted access?

Reinstallation of the editor is probably just a matter of dragging the app from a mounted .dmg and into the /Applications folder

However, I would like you to try to drag a fresh app into your user home somewhere instead. YOu can drag it even onto your desktop. Then try to launch this app. It could be just a matter of privs.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It might also be a matter of which beta you are using, but then you should be getting a different message.. if the app is date capped. I recently grabbed a beta of the same app from a link posted here somewhere and that app worked at least last night.. Very Happy

You better be aware that Apple has been upgrading its display drivers bigtime recently and it might be a matter of incompatibility, bt personally I doubt that. What I think this is .. is simply that some of the package file s.. inside tyhe app.. have wrong priviledges. try moving a fresh app to your home folder and launch it from there. Trash the app you already have in your /Applications folder

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
foss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for your replies but i'm still having trouble=/

I am on OSX version 10.3.3...i was 10.3.7 when it stopped working. I am now running a completely clean install of OSX and i have repaired and fixed permissions several times at every point of the install. I am operating as Administrator and have tried running the editor from my documents, applications and desktop to no avail. I have also re downloaded the editor from the Clavia site, trashed my old one and tried but no=/ looking for that thread with the alternate version now.

to my knowledge my other editor came from bittersweet sound.

do you have any other ideas?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. not really right now..

Using the Disk utilities app for permissions repair does of course only handle the Aplle set standard for how default permissions for the system and Appe software are supposed to be set.

Do a "get info" on the dead app and tell us what the permissions are?

You might want to let "everyone" have read/write privs for the package.

I am not in the studio right now, so I cannot check out this in detail myself.

Perhaps you could post the Beta version number here ?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
foss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AHA!

i have fixed it. This is what the problem was for others that might have the same. I had followed out an article called "tracking the big cats" from electronic musician magazine so when i installed OSX i had done the minimum install to increase performance. This included using minimal Fonts.....this was the problem! I downloaded Aerial and Geneva from the Clavia site and now the editor boots as normal again and finds my nord=]

Thanks for your help elektro80. Much Appreciated=]

foss
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahhh.. right... fonts!!!!!

I didn´t think of that at all. However, this is a "big problem" quite often.

Our accounting system network client written in Java dies when it does not have Helvetica, Times and Courier available. It is possible to embed font resources inside apps but .. they always forget..

Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
foss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes..i've certainly learnt my lesson! glad that's sorted i'd been walking about with a fat bottom lip for 2 days=]
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

foss wrote:
AHA!

i have fixed it.

WOW Very Happy congratulations, I would have never thought about fonts Idea

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why would Keyboard Magazine think taking the fonts off of your machine would give you better performance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, removing the fonts will not speed up anything at all.

However, activating a gigabyte of postscripts fonts by putting them in the user/library/fonts is not something I would recommend either.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Why would Keyboard Magazine think taking the fonts off of your machine would give you better performance?

it was "Electronic Musician" not "Keyboard" Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
le_tigre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

perhaps this could be made a sticky. it solved my problem, as well =)
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Le-Tigre

le_tigre wrote:
perhaps this could be made a sticky. it solved my problem, as well =)

Thanks for the suggestion. Good idea. Done... welcome

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

foss wrote:
AHA!

i have fixed it. This is what the problem was for others that might have the same. I had followed out an article called "tracking the big cats" from electronic musician magazine so when i installed OSX i had done the minimum install to increase performance. This included using minimal Fonts.....this was the problem! I downloaded Aerial and Geneva from the Clavia site and now the editor boots as normal again and finds my nord=]

Thanks for your help elektro80. Much Appreciated=]

foss

All these os tweakings are really shit in the days of OS x... a clean install with all options is the safest and stablest... I heard to learn these lesson a few times allready... And still i do every update when it comes along... Sad
le_tigre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the neighbourly welcome, mosc. it looks like the G2 is where it's at these days - as usual, i'm behind the times, but i reckon that this recently acquired little marvel will be more than enough synth for me for a long, long time =)
seawolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: similar problems and my fix Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The beta is so buggy. I was having a problem where every time I right-clicked, a message referring to "MacGraphic.cpp" and "PortMenu.cpp" would pop up 4-6 times before and after the appearance of the right-click modules menu. I discovered that the problem went away once I went into the "synth" menu up-top, whilst editing a patch locally, and filling out the synth name field.

On a side note, I found this, but it looks like work has just started on the libraries it is based on, so an OS X port is probably out of question for the time being:
nordqt - Qt based open source editor for Clavia Nord Modular synthesizers

-elijah

ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone had any luck with the beta and Tiger?
seawolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeh, beta & tiger has been working great for me. Just don't control-click on any part of a module that isn't a controller...

Its a damn shame that clavia decided to cancel the project. They could have made the G2 editor backwards compatible or something, don't you think?

Well, I'm glad that we have the beta at least.

ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My beta doesn't open Rolling Eyes

I click it and nothing happens.
I'm using Tiger 10.4.2.
Any clues?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did it come .sit compressed? If so has Stuffit Deluxe set the execution bit to on? Using the wrong version of stuffit or wrong setting will render applications dead and sinking.
Stuffit calls this "execute permissions".
Can you send me the exact URL to the application you downloaded. I can test this myself. Perhaps it is the fonts issue or something else.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonts issues can do stuff like this on OSX???!!!

Isn't that a bit of a problem?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. not at all. This is an application issue. This has to do with application programming and some very faulty thinking while designing the application. Shit happens. I had the same problem with a java app we are using at work. If the expected fonts weren ´t there the app would keel over and hit the ground. Ouch. Musta hurt.. Shocked

OS X allows for embedded fonts in apps and this is the route to follow.. or the available fonts can even be checked at launch and if they are missing they can be copied form inside the app package and into the user fonts folder in user/Library.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, ok, that makes sense. So the Beta is like a guest that doesn't bring anything to the party yet starts demanding a rare whiskey, then leaves in anger when it isn't served?

It should be more like html which goes "I'd like to have this one but if that's not around anything monospaced will do, thanks" or better yet like my page which doesn't define a font at all, asuming the reader will set his favourite one as a default.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Ah, ok, that makes sense. So the Beta is like a guest that doesn't bring anything to the party yet starts demanding a rare whiskey, then leaves in anger when it isn't served?

Yup! Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: