electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Trapezoid VCA anybody?
Page 1 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next

Would you buy a Jh Trapezoid VCA PCB?
no - only interested in the original EMS circuit (this is not goint to happen - sorry)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
yes - if it emulates the behaviour of the EMS circuit, and doesn't need component selecting
97%
 97%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 41

jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Trapezoid VCA anybody? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder how many interest there would be in a Trapezoid VCA PCB.

It would - of course - be designed to emulate the behaviour of the famous EMS Synthi A and VCS3 Trapezoid, and it would be - of course - not be a direct copy of the EMS circuit.

Let me know.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlIKIr3Ef5c

http://www.jhaible.de/trapezoid/jh_trapezoid_vca_1.mp3

Quick and dirty demo.

Farfisa VIP 500 thru the Trapezoid VCA + Phaser + BBD Delay

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That rang a bell!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bU7fT9oZMI
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Making this one available would be just brilliant Jürgen.

Would the trapezoid signal be made externally available for use as a CV source for things other than the VCA?

Cheers,
Adam-V

jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam-V wrote:

Would the trapezoid signal be made externally available for use as a CV source for things other than the VCA?

Yes, absolutely.
Positive and negative, and you choose the peak output voltage.

JH.

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice Smile i would want at least 2 i think
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what is it exactly,a pcb with vca + AR generator?
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
Adam-V wrote:

Yes, absolutely.
Positive and negative, and you choose the peak output voltage.

JH.

Brilliant!!!!! I'd be up for a number of them then.

Cheers,
Adam-V

a100user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interested indeed Jurgen

David
jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, one please!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trapezoid VCA anybody? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

It would - of course - be designed to emulate the behaviour of the famous EMS Synthi A and VCS3 Trapezoid, and it would be - of course - not be a direct copy of the EMS circuit.

Of course when you put it like that, it's a YES-YES situation!

YES! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:

Do your homework! Rolling Eyes Wink

The EMS trapezoid ain't no simple AR generator!!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
TekniK wrote:

Do your homework! Rolling Eyes Wink

The EMS trapezoid ain't no simple AR generator!!

what is it then thats its so special?
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Count me in for 1
ejr27233

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be in for 2 PCB's
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
what is it then thats its so special?

Hard to explain.
When I build that Synthi Clone, I thought a single, restricted envelope like that would hardly be enough for a synthesizer. So I added a Hold-ADSR envelope.
More than 10 years later, a cannot remember a single occasion when I made use of that HADSR. I always used the Trapezoid.

(This applies to FX sounds and to modulating external signals only. Playing melodies asks for an ADSR.)

JH.

TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok,and does this vca design add some smoothness or something to the sound.

Your YT demo sounds nice,but its just because of the AR effect or?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

When I build that Synthi Clone, I thought a single, restricted envelope like that would hardly be enough for a synthesizer. So I added a Hold-ADSR envelope.
More than 10 years later, a cannot remember a single occasion when I made use of that HADSR. I always used the Trapezoid.

It's funny JH, because I actually DID always wonder why you did this. Now I know! Very Happy

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
jhaible wrote:

It's funny JH, because I actually DID always wonder why you did this. Now I know! Very Happy

Having an envelope that can sustain for as long as a key is held can be useful sometimes. How about a modification so that the hold time control could be switched to 'Gate' mode?
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
jhaible wrote:

Having an envelope that can sustain for as long as a key is held can be useful sometimes. How about a modification so that the hold time control could be switched to 'Gate' mode?

That's already in there. Standard Gate and / or Switch trigger input.
The On-Time parameter is important for the auto-cycle mode, not so much for the gated mode.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a standard for +/-12V connectors?
Or are they alle different?
Could anyone point me to dimensional drawings and pinout of the most common +/-12V connectors, please?

Thanks

JH.

a100user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jurgen

Doepfer have some good info here:

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100t_e.htm

With the exception of Analoge Systems this is what all Euro makers adopt

David
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a100user wrote:
Jurgen

Doepfer have some good info here:

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100t_e.htm

With the exception of Analoge Systems this is what all Euro makers adopt

David

Thank you - I'll go for the 10-pin version then.
How many space does it need around the actual footprint?
Best let me know the size of the whole rectangele to be left free on the board ...

First time I ever integrate a D connector on one of my boards. Smile Smile Smile

JH.

a100user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have a module here at the moment but the ribbon headers are quite low profile so you could probably get away with 5mm all round the pins.

I believe this is the correct spec for the 16 pin version

http://www.farnell.com/cad/308052.pdf

Some folks use this type as it's polorized and prevents them plugging the module the wrong way round
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you!

JH.

Page 1 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: