electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music » mix/remix
I'll remix YOU!!
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: I'll remix YOU!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all

Hmm. Get the ball rolling. Step up, and I'll remix you! I will require only a .mid version of your tune. Just set the instruments to approximate General MIDI equivalents and I will do the rest.

Any volunteers? Wink

Dovder

aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wink

hopefully on monday i might have something. i have to learn how GM is organise.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GM is fine, but relatively few people actually use it. Wouldn't the remixer assign the MIDI channels to sounds of their choice?

Last edited by mosc on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i was going to say that too...do people still output general midi files anymore ..i would think most people's music is the result of midi, and audio sources and softsynths etc all combined... ?
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys

Wow! Thanks for the interest! Very Happy

The reason I asked for the parts of the track to be assigned to General MIDI equivalents is then I would have some idea of what each part was intended to sound like, without actually hearing the original itself yet. (I prefer not to hear the original until I have done the remix, this is the basis on which I do my hip hop remixes.)

Also, I quite like the idea that the artist has to reinterpret their track in some way before giving it to me, it adds another interesting part to the remix process.

Obviously, the reason I want a MIDI file in the first place is so that I don't have to reverse-engineer the composition, which would be tedious.

Cheers

Dovder

aquanaut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here it is.if you're still interested i'm going to record audio parts individually

bleeding smoke (we must).mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  bleeding smoke (we must).mp3
 Filesize:  7.53 MB
 Downloaded:  1139 Time(s)

Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi mate

I'm definitely up for this but can you provide a MIDI file? Just get your sequencer to save the file as MIDI and upload it for me.

I prefer not to hear the original until I've done the remix!! Wink

Cheers dude

Dovder

play

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm...I don't really use MIDI except out of occasional neccessity to link generic data streams from one place to another.

If you use buzz or reaktor I could throw ya some bmx's and ensembles or maybe just an original sample bank.

GM is not something I've ever been into and part of the reason I don't use programs like sonar is that the programmers assume you are going to sequence GM synths.

Let's see, I could run a song through a custom audio to midi filter and save out a .mid file. That might be interesting.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

play wrote:

Let's see, I could run a song through a custom audio to midi filter and save out a .mid file. That might be interesting.

Yeah, that sounds good. The Dovster can assign instruments you your patterns. That kind of disconnection of the creation process from the result is facinating.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think perhaps I have assumed MIDI is much more a lingua franca of electronic music than it obviously is. I use MIDI for almost everything and for me to reassign MIDI channels to different instruments or patches is simple. I guess other people don't work this way... Shocked

The reason I suggested starting with a MIDI file is because it seemed an easy way to get the actual, you know, notes/composition whatever into my sequencer with minimal effort.

play wrote:
GM is not something I've ever been into and part of the reason I don't use programs like sonar is that the programmers assume you are going to sequence GM synths.

General MIDI has no uses for me whatsoever except that it means tunes will have similar instrumentation on any compatible gear, and I only ever use it when that is desirable.

In principle, would exchanging sheet music be easier for other people for the purpose of reworking other people's tracks?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
I think perhaps I have assumed MIDI is much more a lingua franca of electronic music than it obviously is. I use MIDI for almost everything and for me to reassign MIDI channels to different instruments or patches is simple. I guess other people don't work this way... Shocked

I think possibly the use of midi has come of age. We are capturing performances related to speciific synth patches/chains of efx and what have you. That is why I guess many don´t really feel at ease with distributing their stuff as midi because it does not on its own truly represent the music.

..but sure.. what is the alternative? Writing the notation on paper and let you start there?
Very Happy Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
..but sure.. what is the alternative? Writing the notation on paper and let you start there?
Very Happy Shocked

Well... yeah. If your sequencer can produce staff music printouts, why not?

paul e.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

' i'll remix your staff sheets'

not the same thing is it ?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

Don´t go there. This sounds like some catholic ritual thingie with a twist.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:
' i'll remix your staff sheets'

not the same thing is it ?

Oh, I thought it was quite a good starting point. Shocked

diskonext

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll send you the MIDI files for Outkast Elektro Break, if you want?

I won't change them to anything remotely resembling GM, though, is that a problem? Wink
I'll just set each channel to it's own channel (if that makes sense). I think you'll get rather dull files, though, with a lot of info missing (everything VST and Live related)

-diskonext

play

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

staffs are interesting. What if I send you sheet music of an original guitar composition? I think that's the only thing I have that primarily uses the twelve tone scale.
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diskonext wrote:
I'll send you the MIDI files for Outkast Elektro Break, if you want?

I won't change them to anything remotely resembling GM, though, is that a problem? Wink

Yeah, go for it! I'll replace the channel destinations with my own and fill in any gaps with my usual shite. Yay!

play wrote:
staffs are interesting. What if I send you sheet music of an original guitar composition? I think that's the only thing I have that primarily uses the twelve tone scale.

Thanks play I think so too. I would love to see/hear of one of your guitar compositions, and possibly have a monkey around with it. I assume by what you said about the twelve tone scale that you use alternative tunings. Care to expand?

Cheers

Dovder

LoKi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet!
I'll be following this discussion to see what fruits it bears...
Maybe disassemble one of my own tracks in some unusual way for some remix mayhem...

..did someone say mayhem? Twisted Evil

This especially tweaked me to this thread's potential:

mosc wrote:
play wrote:

Yeah, that sounds good. The Dovster can assign instruments you your patterns. That kind of disconnection of the creation process from the result is facinating.

So many ways to create a MIDI file from a composition! So MANY!
With software that creates MIDIs from audio, you could go ANYWHERE!!!
My mind is taking me here:
Load a track onto an MP3 player, let a complete stranger listen to the track a few times and then record them as they hum along - run that recording through an audio-to-midi prog and voila! ....remix THAT matey!

*grin

diskonext

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still planning to do this, have to find a way to record the output of the MIDI while the song is playing.

I didn't forget.

-diskonext

Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aquanaut

My Virus C, far from the amazing instrument it is often lauded as, is in fact a complete cunt. It has trashed the levels for all the input channels from my sampler. Being quite drunk, I've solved the problem by deleting the work done so far on your remix.

Hence, I'm starting from scratch.

Fucking Access fucking pirates.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Audacity could open a .mid file as raw wave data.....
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any wisdom fully appreciated. Once spelt out in the kind of language a dumb-ass can understand.
aquanaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovder

do you need those loops again..
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks mate, nah I got them.

It's just the work I'd done so far got rubbished. But it's all good. What was once abstract techno, is so far being reinvented as cheesy pop. It's certainly entertaining me...

More later.

Dovder

Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music » mix/remix
Jump to: