electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
some tracks I made
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
x_x

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: some tracks I made
Subject description: speech, algorithmic composition n other fun stuff
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been experimenting with Spoken Word style and Sprechstimme vocal technique and basically what I'm trying to practice is to take recordings of voices and compose the music behind it.

These are my first recordings, I found this CC-licensed vocal samples from the net and made the music xD Tell me what you think, it's in three parts the second part is an algorithmic composition(the harpsichord and other sounds)/ mixed with some functions and some processed voices of me singing and stuff like that xD

tell me what you think, I may make an EP and release it under CCL or free art license. Copyrighted xD

lady has something to say

The first part I tried to make it sound like some sort of nu-jazz/philip glass minimalism ;D

algorithmic canon

Algorithmic canon balbalbalabla ;O

man has something to say

I don't know what was I thinking when I made this xD

btw, if you don't see the player it's because IE7 cannot render google mp3 player(I wonder why?) ...

bafmsbc.vmcv.,mnxc.mc,cmcmcmcmc,cxnv,

gabriel sanchez - lady has something to say-01.mp3
 Description:
1st part

Download
 Filename:  gabriel sanchez - lady has something to say-01.mp3
 Filesize:  2.77 MB
 Downloaded:  2396 Time(s)

gabriel sanchez - algorithmic canon.mp3
 Description:
2nd part

Download
 Filename:  gabriel sanchez - algorithmic canon.mp3
 Filesize:  4.81 MB
 Downloaded:  2339 Time(s)

gabriel sanchez - man has something to say.mp3
 Description:
3rd part

Download
 Filename:  gabriel sanchez - man has something to say.mp3
 Filesize:  5.18 MB
 Downloaded:  2442 Time(s)

Last edited by x_x on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trippy!

/Stefan

x_x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Trippy!

Yeah I've been told that one before xD. It's intentional, for example in the first part I use 15/16 time signature in some parts to "trip it out".

BTW, Just if you were wondering... I've never used drugs in my life. Just alcohol Very Happy
Antimon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy I like them, especially the jazzy/vocal thingies (1st and third). They keep going, but there is variation enough to keep it interesting.

/Stefan

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Trippy!

even "trippier" is listening to the 3 of them at the same time Wink
Good job Gabriel Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
x_x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Very Happy I like them, especially the jazzy/vocal thingies (1st and third).

I agree, for the second one most of it was computer generated by some cheesy algorithm I made Laughing

Antimon wrote:

They keep going, but there is variation enough to keep it interesting.

Yeah, I tried to give them a minimalistic sense thumright

Thanks for your comments Very Happy
x_x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Antimon wrote:
Trippy!

even "trippier" is listening to the 3 of them at the same time Wink
Good job Gabriel Very Happy

it's 3 times trippier Laughing

thanks! Very Happy
destroyifyer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't get these to play do I need an update for quicktime or something?
x_x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

destroyifyer wrote:
I can't get these to play do I need an update for quicktime or something?

I was using google's mp3 player and IE7 has problems rendering it. But I embedded the files using another player should work now Wink.
dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The player is working extremely badly on my Mac. I've tried both Safari and Firefox, both with all the latest updates, no add-ons. It plays a few seconds, then stops.

The first couple of seconds are cool, would like to hear more. Do you have any other way to listen?

James

Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:
The player is working extremely badly on my Mac. I've tried both Safari and Firefox, both with all the latest updates, no add-ons. It plays a few seconds, then stops.

The first couple of seconds are cool, would like to hear more. Do you have any other way to listen?

James

Hmm, worked ok on my Mac/Safari. Just stuttered a bit in the beginning.

/Stefan

x_x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

James

Cool, I'd like to listen to your opinion. I just uploaded them to the electro-music server.
dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Gabriel,

I finally got a chance to listen to these. Nice work!

Particularly strong, I think, is the pacing of the (slower) harmonic motion against the busier surface texture in the "... has something to say" pieces. The chords fit right in the pocket, too. For my own curiosity -- are the changes preprogrammed (purely deterministic), totally random or controlled by some other algorithm?

The harmonic vocabulary reminds me a bit of Paul Lansky's Idle Chatter pieces -- I mean that as a compliment.

The method of "ornamenting" notes in the canon with the spooky synth sounds is also really successful, though I wished that the canon would come to the foreground (maybe even sounding by itself without the background sounds) once or twice for more textural variety.

One of the really hard things in algorithmic composition is control over form. I don't have good code structures yet to generate large-scale form algorithmically -- currently I leave that to control manually while performing. These 3 pieces avoid the question altogether by sticking to one texture throughout (except "man has...," which comes to a definitive conclusion). Of course not every piece needs a whole lot of formal variety -- just something to think about for the future.

Thanks for sharing these -- I really enjoyed them!
James

PS I'm curious, how do you do your sound rendering? What language do you use for the algorithms?

abreaktor

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i didnt get it. thats in a way normal, i guess. there were some phrases that made sense for my musical "taste", and i enjoyed them - but the majority of your work just went by me without even saying hello. is that a more mathematical kind of connoisseurdom? does it take time to really enjoy that? (i consider time to be of some importance since it took me years to enjoy hofstaedter and deleuze)

damn. i wanted to re-listen, but gopt errors galore.

dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abreaktor wrote:
i didnt get it. thats in a way normal, i guess. there were some phrases that made sense for my musical "taste", and i enjoyed them - but the majority of your work just went by me without even saying hello.

I think that's related to my comments about form. Form is what makes a piece say hello, and goodbye, and more stuff in between.

One of the most important things I learned from my composition professor in grad school is the importance of punctuating the music with arrival points that can turn the piece in a different direction quickly (or even not so quickly). He recognized that I had a tendency to write gradual transitions between one texture, or section, and the next. But sometimes, what you really need is a bold, dramatic turn.

Another issue (and this is a weakness in my music too) is sonic variety. It takes so much work to come up with a really finely tuned sound that I tend to run the sounds possibly longer than I should.

By the way, you can download the attachments to your hard drive by dragging the "download" links into the downloaded files window in Safari or Firefox.

James

kara

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting style
Vocals combined with free jazz
Interesting !

k

Music forum at www.kara-moon.com/forum
x_x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sorry for taking so long, I just finished final exams today.

dewdrop_world wrote:
Particularly strong, I think, is the pacing of the (slower) harmonic motion against the busier surface texture in the "... has something to say" pieces. The chords fit right in the pocket, too. For my own curiosity -- are the changes preprogrammed (purely deterministic), totally random or controlled by some other algorithm?

The “has something to say” pieces are more like computer-assisted compositions rather than computer generated so there is a lot more human intervention, that’s why it may sound that they just fit in.
dewdrop_world wrote:

The harmonic vocabulary reminds me a bit of Paul Lansky's Idle Chatter pieces -- I mean that as a compliment.

Cool, I’ll definitely check it out.

dewdrop_world wrote:
The method of "ornamenting" notes in the canon with the spooky synth sounds is also really successful, though I wished that the canon would come to the foreground (maybe even sounding by itself without the background sounds) once or twice for more textural variety.

Yeah, I completely agree. Hearing the canon alone I sensed it as drained so that’s why I added the other functions, sounds etc … but hey it’s experimental music, I’m just exploring some pathways.

dewdrop_world wrote:
One of the really hard things in algorithmic composition is control over form. I don't have good code structures yet to generate large-scale form algorithmically -- currently I leave that to control manually while performing. These 3 pieces avoid the question altogether by sticking to one texture throughout (except "man has...," which comes to a definitive conclusion). Of course not every piece needs a whole lot of formal variety -- just something to think about for the future.

Cool, thanks a lot for your comment I really found it helpful and appreciate it! Especially since I’m in a learning face right now, I really like to hear people’s opinions and more when they have a concrete point.

dewdrop_world wrote:
PS I'm curious, how do you do your sound rendering? What language do you use for the algorithms?

For my algorithmic music I use my own java pseudo/framework, I’m thinking on writing an algorithmic music framework. The sound rendering is done via VST.
x_x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abreaktor wrote:
i didnt get it. thats in a way normal, i guess. there were some phrases that made sense for my musical "taste", and i enjoyed them - but the majority of your work just went by me without even saying hello. is that a more mathematical kind of connoisseurdom? does it take time to really enjoy that? (i consider time to be of some importance since it took me years to enjoy hofstaedter and deleuze)

damn. i wanted to re-listen, but gopt errors galore.

Well first of all, these are not serious pieces they are more like me experimenting new tools, sounds, structures etc… (I’ve been doing electronic music for less than a year). You talk about taste. What is taste? Taste according to Levitin in his book “This is your brain on music”, comes from how our brain structures music, what we listened as newborns and influences from close people. Taste is your enemy. Music is not necessarily made to be enjoyed; people are enslaved on taste and ideas on how music should be… music should be free and subjective … taste is a barrier. Taste is bad, very very bad, taste is evil:P … ok I’m exaggerating a byte, but you get my point. Don’t worry if you do not “get” my music actually very few people actually “enjoy it”, I don’t expect my music to be an mtv hit or formulistic music, I’m just making music mainly because it’s something I really like to do (and it’s a way for me to glorify the ostrich that gives it to me) … if people like it cool, if people don’t like it also cool with me. Thanks for your comment Very Happy.
x_x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kara wrote:
Interesting style
Vocals combined with free jazz
Interesting !

k

Merci mille fois Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just heard 1st part on radio.electro-music.com stream. Nice... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
x_x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Just heard 1st part on [b][i][color=#255293]radio.electro-music.com[/color][/i][/b] stream. Nice... Smile

Thanks a lot Smile

woah, I posted this music in 2008, time flies!
MjrMjrMjr

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely trippy. Love the voice over in the first one, gave it something extra to listen to, more texture and cohesion throughout the song.

Very nice.

There is power in music and there is power in silence, play both accordingly.
Music is what people use when they got something to say but words just aren't going to be enough.

www.soundclick.com/mjrmjrmjr

x_x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Mjr
Smile
and welcome!
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: