electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Building The Appendage. Share your Experiences
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 6 [147 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
slo

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys, I will give Bill's suggestion a try, though they might not ship to Canada.

George
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Roger that. The Kobicons do have a ground lug that is connected to the panel / frame. My bad.

Quite alright Dan Wink We watch each other back Wink

Slo, OK, let us know if they do or don't ship to Canada. I like these panel jacks and might get some for stock purposes. In turn, I can just send you a couple in the post.

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Goerge,

Here is the replay from 3D about shipping to Canada:

Quote:
We don't currently ship to Canada. We'd have to charge an extra $25 on top of the order. If that is something you'd be ok with, we may be able to accomodate you. Please advise.

Sound like not an option for you but they have some neat stuff I like so maybe I can just order some stuff and add some of those nifty jacks also .... Let me know ...

Bill
slo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I can just order some stuff and add some of those nifty jacks also .... Let me know ...

If you can do it that way it would be great, very kind! I do like the look of these jacks and they are the only ones I've found.

George
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If you can do it that way it would be great, very kind! I do like the look of these jacks and they are the only ones I've found.

George

Slo

OK, I just ordered a few plus some other items Wink Just PM your adress and I will put two of these jacks in the post for you ... free of charge Very Happy I know you have bought stuff from me so it's cool Cool

Bill
slo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got everything I need for the panel now, thanks Bill, nice isolated jack. Going on vacation so it will be awhile before I can finish it. Will post pics when the Appendage is done. Spotted a typo on my Appendage panel, Slide Amount should be Glide Amount, doing a mock panel first so no biggie.

George
slo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which Appendage Build Procedure are we on now ?, I'm confused by the numbering. I'm using 1_188. I see there are others around. I have some typo's to report, just trying to work my way through the calibration procedure.

George
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Slo,

Can you post or send those corrections to me? I'll update the manual.

Cheerios,
Scott

slo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Scott, not sure if they are typos/errors, I've been working from version 1_188, they may have been corrected already, but here goes.

1. Fig 6-2 Inverted Initial output labled J102, should be J112

2. Use of LED cathode to check analog ground in dual ground setup p.44

3. Table 8-18, has 10k in header should be 330k

4. Fig 8-26 caption should read C42-C44

5. Calibration 1 TP8 shown in fig. 9-1, TP9 is used in text

The build went very well with little debugging to be done. Thanks for an amazing project and docs!
I will post some pics very soon

George
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The build went very well with little debugging to be done. Thanks for an amazing project and docs!
I will post some pics very soon

Would like to see more Appendage builds since I know lots of folks bought kits. looking forward to this Slo. I am curious to see some unique panel layouts for this project.

Thanks for the feedback on the documentation. Wink

Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, verily, thank you for the notes, Slo. I'll update the manual as soon as I can get to it.
startwav

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey there,
finally building this monster!
i have everything in place but i'm having trouble locating any poly .002UF 1% caps...or anything similar

anyone have any thoughts?
magman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could try some Polystyrene caps, though these are normally axial leaded, so you may have to stand it on end. Also look for 2nF or 2000pF as these are all equivalent values.

Not sure of the tolerance, but these look a good buy:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CS-202/2000-PF-POLYSTYRENE-CAPACITOR/1.html

An alternative UK based supplier can supply a good range of odd capacitor values, if you want to be more precise on the tolerance:

http://www.rush-on-line.co.uk/cap_forums.html

Shipping to the US is a minimum of £8.50, so you may want to explore other options first.

Good hunting.

Magman
slo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's some pics of my over the top controller, finally finished. Based on an IKC keyboard controller, it also has a Choices joystick controller from Flight of Harmony, and the Appendage Ribbon Controller. The ribbon is detachable from the keyboard. The IKC controls are spread over 3 panels, with the outputs and the Choices manual gate/trigger jacks on a rear panel. All three sections are fully operational, and the wheels also are working. The smallcenter panel is blank for the time being. The only thing that bugs me at the moment is the clunky ribbon connector housing, but that can wait 'cause I'm having fun with the Appendage.

Flight of Harmony
http://www.flightofharmony.com/

Pittch Bend circuit
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=pitch+bend+circuit&t=34895

IKC Keyboard Controller
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=ikc&t=29746

George

IMG_1170.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.52 KB
 Viewed:  1035 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.63 KB
 Viewed:  1014 Time(s)

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.04 KB
 Viewed:  959 Time(s)

IMG_1174.JPG

adambee7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats exactly the keyboard i had in my head for mine. with softpot slightly to the right. beautiful job man. Very Happy Very Happy
philpeery

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Slo!

AWESOME job on this! I have my IKC board about 80% loaded, and have been seriously vexed about how to package my keyboard up. you have given me some real inspiration! Your inclusion of the Appendage is a great idea! I have a 500mm and a 1000mm softpot, I will have to figure out which one to use. Nice to see that you put yours together with a 5 octave keybed. I have a korg poly61 that I got for 10 bucks because I wanted the 6 SSM2056 EG chips, now I know what to do with the keyboard too!

Thanks for posting these pics!

Regards,
Phil
slo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the kudo's. A nice side benefit with having the 500mm ribbon above the keys is that with a little Appendage knob twiddling you can get close to a chromatic scale using the keys as guides.

George
adambee7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh right, didn't know that. bonus. i was just going to have keyboard markings above soft pot:D Very Happy
rokuez

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

saw this from matrix synth great controller!!
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Took longer than expected but so far seems to be quite the 'tool' Smile

awesome manual guys, Well Done!!

The case is some recycled lab gear, voltmeter works but currently not hooked up to anything, guess it will be used for the 'mixed' output, tho offset may be more useful.

app1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.66 KB
 Viewed:  73099 Time(s)

app1.jpg

app2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.42 KB
 Viewed:  939 Time(s)

app2.jpg

app3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.92 KB
 Viewed:  1030 Time(s)

app3.jpg

Scot Solida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have, at long last, finally finished my Appendage build - though I haven't calibrated it yet.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

It was a pretty massive project, and one of the most complex I have attempted thus far. The build was easy. Scott and Bill did a terrific job putting this project together and Scott's manual was clear and easy to follow.

As you can see, I built mine in the Synthesizers.com format, and crammed the lot behind a four-space panel, which I screen-printed myself. It only barely fits and it took some juggling to get all of the panel hardware to fit. I almost opted for smaller knobs. I didn't have any of the Moog style knobs I usually use for my modules on hand, so I used some Rat Shack knobs we had lying around. I'll probably replace those. Though you can't see it in this pic, I mounted the PCB parallel to the front panel on some kludged standoffs. It is almost exactly the same length as the Dotcom panel is wide, so it was a close fit.

The ribbon itself is housed in a Walking Stick enclosure (those things are beautiful). I routed out the space for the jack and wiring with a dremel and then filled the two knob holes with wooden plugs, stained to match the rest. There is a textured covering over the Softpot itself, like the stuff used on a Micromoog ribbon. I got that from ribboncontrollers.com, too. I owe my thanks to them and to both Scott and Bill for making this project happen!

Next up: The Klee (assuming I survive the calibration of the Appendage!) Shocked
adambee7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats what i'm looking for is a protective covering for the softpot. lovely stick and build man. Very Happy Very Happy
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adambee7 wrote:
thats what i'm looking for is a protective covering for the softpot. lovely stick and build man. Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks... I take no credit for the stick itself. That came from http://www.psionicsoundworks.com/. I just took a Dremel to it to make it work with the Appendage...

The covering works very well. It seems not to hinder the Softpot's performance at all.

I'm on step 4 of the calibration process at this very moment. I've enlisted my 14-year-old son to help (he's smarter about electronics than I'll ever be).
Photon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work guys. Its great to finally see some Appendage builds. Three completely different approaches, too. Well done!

I finally made some headway on my Appendage. The board has been populated for months, but the panel was the hold up. I had to build a custom tank for the panel etching (the panel is 21" x 3.25"). The etch came out a little grungier than usual but overall I'm very pleased. I've also incorporated a joystick, using 2 CGS mixer boards. I'll post more photos soon. This will be the centerpiece of the new controller cabinet that I'm building.

appendage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  268.91 KB
 Viewed:  2700 Time(s)

appendage.jpg

softfin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished calibrating my Appendage, so I have now put the cover on the Appendage's case. Smile
I even managed to play something with it already, so it's safe to say it beats my doepfer ribbon controller 5-0.
It has got everything I need in a ribbon controller and then some extra. love

I have to thank Scott Stites once again for the absolutely awesome, excellent build instructions and for the whole project of course! salut

Additional thanks go to Bill from Sms electronics for the great pcb layout and the parts set!
All parts were there and having a kit made it almost too easy to put this thing together. thumleft

Appendage+ribbon.jpg
 Description:
The ribbon controller will probably be painted as soon as I decide the right color :)
 Filesize:  33.12 KB
 Viewed:  5777 Time(s)

Appendage+ribbon.jpg

Appendage.jpg
 Description:
Hardcore dymo taping here... These days I write my songs on Dymo as well ;) ;)
 Filesize:  36.88 KB
 Viewed:  5758 Time(s)

Appendage.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 6 [147 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: