electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Classic
Polymoog Keyboard
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Polymoog Keyboard
Subject description: the less expensive little brother
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Polymoog keyboard was a less expensive, limited version of the polymoog. It lacked the Moog 24dB VCF and 'resontator' sections on the right hand panel. Only a few of the other controls were available but it had more presets than the full polymoog. One of these additional presets was Gary Newman's fav 'vox humana'.

Looking at an actual sample of vox humana in a wave editor shows it uses a saw mixed with a narrowish pwm rectangle.

The polymoog used organ divider technology so to get richer sounds, Moog used a few tricks. There are two independent TOG (top octave generators), one is tuned a semitone low. The outputs are then shuffled (A -> A#) so that the small errors typical of TOG are different for each key in the octave. The two VCO's that drive the TOG can be detuned and modulated by up to three LFO triangles (fm A+B, fm A only and PWM B).

Here is a patch that includes the basic elements above including a detune table derived from moog patent 4145943 Table 2 Rolling Eyes

The FX section has a couple of parametric filters to simulate the resonators, a phasor (because I hear Gary used one), chorus and reverb. I can't find any mention of the actual frequency bands used in the resonator so it is just a guess.

polymoogkey.pch2
 Description:
the less expensive little brother of the polymoog

Download
 Filename:  polymoogkey.pch2
 Filesize:  2.81 KB
 Downloaded:  2544 Time(s)

Christophe Duquesne

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice sound, thanks !

Much closer from the original than mine (in fact I guess I was more "in the spirit of" than really imitating the original) ....
I listened to the sample from http://www.vstream.be/PolymoogKeyboard.html (I've unfortunately never played an original Polymoog...) and you are very very close to it (the sample probably sounds a bit more "shining")

I love this kind of patch... when close your eyes you really feel like you were playing an old wooden cabinet synth in a dark smoky room .... but that's still you G2...

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Classic
Jump to: