electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Just picked up Synth Edit....
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Just picked up Synth Edit.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was looking for some utility type modules and such and decided to just try and roll my own...so bought Synth Edit last night. Threw together a quick Minimoog type synth...didn't sound too bad. Neat thing is that now I can make stuff that has a GUI large enough that I can see parameters without squinting so much and risking a brain hemorrhage Shocked

My intention is not to create a bunch of mediocre synths - there are a lot of those out there already.

Anyone else here work with it? Seems like there are a lot of resources out there for it. I figure between this and Reaktor I'll have a lot of fun. I know that MAX is pretty powerful...but it costs a lot more then Synth Edit did...

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synth Edit is great! I have used it for quickly getting together ideas - it is mostly faster than going out looking for something on the net, which may or may not come close...

I also like the analogue approach, it makes more sense to me to work with voltages. It's been a while since i used it though.... I have other tools now that I'm getting used to.

DES

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the analogue approach too. Pretty easy to understand. I'm looking for some other modules - seem to be a lot out there. I haven't seen any envelope generators though that are more then the standard ADSR. Not that I NEED to have one like that...might be nice though.

I think I might start getting into the SDK for it as well. I need to find a C++ compiler. I see that there is a GNU one out - GCC - don't know how good it is. But hey - it's free.

The last compiler I worked with was a C compiler by Zortec...a LONG time ago. Laughing

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Didn't Mosc use SynthEdit for his ambiophonic thingie?
DES

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know....maybe Mosc can let us know?

BTW - I did some surfing and found a lot more modules for SynthEdit including an 8 stage EG...supposedly modeled on the early Casio ones. Haven't tried it yet. I really wish SE came with a PDF manual instead of just relying on the Help file. I like to take the manuals and read over them when I'm not able to have the PC in front of me. I went thru and printed out the Help file....what a PITA... and I know I missed a few sections but got the most important sections. I tried downloading the recommended book - but the checkout at Wizzobooks kept putting me in a loop..never was able to get to the actual payment page. I sent them an email - hopefully I'll get that resolved in the next day or so.

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AFAIK Mosc used SynthMaker for the ambiophonic plugin.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah ok sorry. Similar names... Embarassed
DES

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked at SynthMaker - pretty neat but costs considerably more.

I'm really getting hooked on this - spent a couple hours yesterday patching away. Of course most of it now is part of the learning curve but it's still fun. It's like building a modular but not having to wait for the new modules to show up in the mail. Very Happy

Got my download from Wizoo books. Looking forward to reading it.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Jump to: