electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Success at last
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
treehugger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject:  Success at last
Subject description: Moc OS X 10.6.5 and Nomad
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have finally, after severla years now of trying, been able to get a stab le connection between Nomad and my two Nord Modulars. It's AWESOME to have them back online again. Here's how I got it to work

1) update to OSX 10.6.5
2) remove Mandolane, or any other installed java midi "helper" files, using the appropirate Uninstaller.
3) Do NOT use a multiport interface to connect to the PC IN/Out ports on the NORD. Use a simple single port USB interface (with the latest drivers of course) Mine is an M-Audio MididMan. The multiport interfaces (or at least mine) generates a parse error exception, even though communication has been established. I believe that this is due to an extra port identifier packet in the MIDI stream of a multiport device.
4) make sure your interface is correctly intalled, and your NORD PC In/Out is connected to the in and out port of this interface using the Audio/MIDI Setup utility.
5) Restart your Mac.
6) Launch Nomad and make brand new synth connection to the single port interface.
7) Dance in delight as patches get effortlessly passed back and forth!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great you have it working!

Good to see a success story too Wink

treehugger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, I was just about to put htem up on ebay at a firesale price. I was pretty discouraged, but this made my day!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope you don't mind, but I've made this thread sticky, so that others having similar problems will find the solution to their Nomad on OSX problems quickly Smile

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Tom, good idea.
nomay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok- tried this with my generic single port interface and didn't work. Also with my midisport 2x2.

wondering if it really is the interface?

Anyone else have any luck with this?

Is the nomad editor worth the price of a new interface?

ANY help on this would be appreciated- I'd like to know how many snow leopard people are running nomad successfully!
Moody33

G2 patch files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've a midisport 2x2 and it works with nomad on my macosx snow leopard 10.6.4 . I don't really use nomad though, I've just test it some month ago and it seems to works fine.
nomay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moody! You are giving me hope.

Did you do anything special to get it to work?

What's your secret?
Moody33

G2 patch files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nothing special as far I remember. I will take a look later.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nomay, have you tried a different USB connecting cable?
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
nomay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes- I've tried different midi cables, but it's always worth another shot. I was under the impression that no one was using Nomad on Snow Leopard. It seems that people are getting this to work, so I will go back and try to get this going. This forum is giving me hope!
nomay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

more experimentation tonight. different midi cables. same thing.

Question: I'm running the clavia editor successfully. What needs to be changed to run Nomad?

When I click on the orange diamond (next to the wrench)- I get this error (maybe someone knows how to read this?):

net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.SynthException: net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.MidiException: timeout: 10000ms (net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.SynthSettingsMessage) [error=-1001]
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.connect(NordModular.java:411)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.setConnected(NordModular.java:881)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.nomad.forms.SynthObjectForm.trySetConnectedState(SynthObjectForm.java:958)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.nomad.forms.SynthObjectForm$1$1.run(SynthObjectForm.java:599)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:633)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
Caused by: net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.MidiException: timeout: 10000ms (net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.SynthSettingsMessage) [error=-1001]
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.NmMessageAcceptor.waitForReply(NmMessageAcceptor.java:111)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.connect(NordModular.java:400)
... 11 more
sYn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject:  No more NM1 editor on OSX Lion and future?!
Subject description: No more NM1 editor on OSX Lion and future?!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody,

i've been a nord modular G1/G2 user for long times and today after updating to Lion i realised that the Beta editor was not working anymore (PowerPC app not supported). I tried many times to run Nomad, but i always got this error message:

net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.SynthException: net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.MidiException: Communication timed out: 1339062837059 [error=-1001]
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.connect(NordModular.java:411)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.setConnected(NordModular.java:881)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.nomad.forms.SynthObjectForm.trySetConnectedState(SynthObjectForm.java:958)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.nomad.forms.SynthObjectForm$1$1.run(SynthObjectForm.java:599)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:682)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:85)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:643)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:641)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:652)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
Caused by: net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.MidiException: Communication timed out: 1339062837059 [error=-1001]
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.NmProtocol.heartbeatImpl(NmProtocol.java:5Cool
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular$SchedulingProtocol.heartbeatImpl(NordModular.java:252)
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.AbstractNmProtocol.heartbeat(AbstractNmProtocol.java:154)
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.NmMessageAcceptor.waitForReply(NmMessageAcceptor.java:114)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.connect(NordModular.java:358)
... 17 more

I followed all the advices about nomad on this forum but it is still not working.
I start to believe that my interface is the problem, M-Audio Midiman UNO USB, but apparently everybody runs it on Midiman 2x2 successfully (really similar to mine, same drivers...).
Does anybody managed to get Nomad working on OSX Lion?
What is the most compatible USB MIDI interface to use?!

I love my modular, really don't wanna sell it.... HELP please!!!
Thanks
Clandestine Monarchy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: No connection options visible Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi I'm running Mac OS X 10.8

When making a connection to my nm, I don't get to see any connection options at all. The screen where they should normally appear is just blank...

please help, I'd love to continue using my nm in mac
Kultist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Made it work on OS X 10.8.2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For what it's worth now, here's how I managed to make Nomad work here on Mac OS Mountain Lion (10.8.2) using a Edirol US-1MX, with only the 2 java lib files supplied on the Nomad .DMG.
The only thing I can say is that getting a single-port MIDI device with non-internal driver was the key. I had been trying to connect Nomad to my Modular for some time now with a cheap MIDI-to-USB adaptor with an internal driver
(such as this one http://www.amazon.com/USB-MIDI-Cable-Converter-Keyboard/dp/B003KXEDVQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358785541&sr=1-6&keywords=midi+to+usb+adapter)
The one I was using was creating a virtual MIDI out port for some reason, which seems to confuse Nomad. Make sure you are using a MIDI device that creates a single MIDI I/O pair.

Also, those who cannot see the MIDI I/O option in the Connection Settings pane of their Modular should make sure they DO NOT have mmj.jar in their /Library/Java/Extensions, as this is what makes the pane show up empty (from my experience).
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So yeah problems getting nomad to work on OSX 10.8.2 / OSX 10.6.8 and Bootcamp Win7. Same timeout error [-1001]

I just picked up a Roland UM1 Mk2 that has allowed me to use this with the Final Clavia Editors on Snow Leopard and in Win7 / Bootcamp without problems.

However none of the solutions working for other people have worked for me yet.
plaeground

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: fuck all Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

first clavia can suck it for making my hardware obsolete.

second hey KuLTIST WHY WOULD YOU PUT AN AMZON LINK UP TO A USB CABLE THAT DOESNT WORK? IN A FORUM THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE HOW TO MAKE IT WORK? dick. now i have another useless USB cable.

third, still getting this
net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.SynthException: net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.MidiException: Communication timed out: 1373401648340 [error=-1001]
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(EventQueue.java:82)
at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:676)
at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:674)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:86)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:685)
Caused by: net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.MidiException: Communication timed out: 1373401648340 [error=-1001]
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.NmProtocol.heartbeatImpl(NmProtocol.java:5Cool
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular$SchedulingProtocol.heartbeatImpl(NordModular.java:252)
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.AbstractNmProtocol.heartbeat(AbstractNmProtocol.java:154)
at net.sf.nmedit.jnmprotocol2.NmMessageAcceptor.waitForReply(NmMessageAcceptor.java:114)
at net.sf.nmedit.jsynth.clavia.nordmodular.NordModular.connect(NordModular.java:358)
... 17 more
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: fuck all Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

plaeground wrote:
second hey KuLTIST WHY WOULD YOU PUT AN AMZON LINK UP TO A USB CABLE THAT DOESNT WORK? IN A FORUM THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE HOW TO MAKE IT WORK? dick. now i have another useless USB cable.

Oh dear ... yeah, reading sucks Shocked (best to do it in bed only)

welcome anyway, and may you be able to solve the problem - nowadays most success seems to be had with the Clavia editor running in a virtual machine?

And good luck with your issues Wink

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: fuck all Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

plaeground wrote:
first clavia can suck it for making my hardware obsolete..

Maybe I'm a bit confused here, surely it's Apple that stopped the editor working by removing Rosetta, or am I confused?
monotremata

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: fuck all Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
plaeground wrote:
first clavia can suck it for making my hardware obsolete..

Maybe I'm a bit confused here, surely it's Apple that stopped the editor working by removing Rosetta, or am I confused?

Well, technically Clavia never even finished development on the beta.
It annoys the crap out of me when I forget the little things NOT to do in it and end up deleting a module the wrong way or something and having the thing crash on me.

I havent been able to get Nomad back up and running for a few years now. One day it worked beautifully on my G4 and then just stopped and here came the communication errors out of nowhere. Got my new G5, never could get it running again. Now I have my Mac Pro, same thing. No matter what Ive tried, or whether its my AMT8 or MidiSport UNO or the ports on my Oxygen 8, Nomad cant connect to the synth at all. I had to go back to Snow Leopard so I could still use the Clavia editor with Rosetta.. Installing the old Win2000 USB driver for my Emagic interface under a virtual XP box was a nightmare! Gotta try and get it running again though, Im kinda itching to upgrade to Logic X and while I cant run Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro 1,1, I know Logic X can be tricked into working on 10.7..
clementshawes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The ONLY way I can get the editor running successfully is via a dedicated machine (I've got both an ancient Powerbook G3, with SCSI for those ol' samplers) or an old XP laptop.

I'd recommend those over the voodoo required getting Nomad working on anything modern (with/out) VirtualMachines even.

Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Jump to: