electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
The Spacial Percussionizer
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: The Spacial Percussionizer
Subject description: 2 circuits by Inventor forced into a box
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally finished building this box, which I call the "Spacial Percussionizer". It's like percussion in space.

It's based on 2 CMOS circuits by (the great) Inventor, it generates percussive sounds and strange chirps and stuff and spatializes them across 2 channels. Many thanks to Inventor for his inspiring circuits!

One circuit is his Karplus-Strong NAND gate percussion thing [ http://reinventor.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/percussion-karplus-strong-inspired/ ], and the other is the 4052-based spatializer [ http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-48764.html ]. I made some modifications and tweaks... this may not sound like what was originally intended Smile.

A couple of 4093's, a 4011 NAND, a 4052 multiplexer and an LM324 op amp.

Here's a demo... [ http://youtu.be/tNgOO6jLHN4 ]

Spacial Percussionizer box flat 640x480.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  199.88 KB
 Viewed:  551 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Spacial Percussionizer box flat 640x480.JPG

Last edited by RingMad on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad, I'm really happy that you got this all working and boxed up so we can all enjoy the sounds you produce with it for years to come. Sorry, I cannot watch videos because my internet bandwidth is so limited on this poor hospital facility connection. Can you post an MP3? I would love to hear this thing in action.

I am honored by your use of my designs, but I must say a modest "nay-nay" to your reference to me as "the great" Inventor. I have been a major screw-up most of my life, losing a promising engineering career due to many factors not the least of which was substance abuse. I'm in a medical care facility now with open sores on my leg because of the complications of congestive heart failure which resulted from all those years of abusing my health. I'm clean and sober and happy now, healing nicely and under proper care I will live a long time, however this is not the situation that someone "great" endures.

As far as circuit wizardry, I owe my inspirational sparks of insight to God actually, for I believe that is their source. So even that is external to me. If anything, I'm a pretty good tool in the hands of the Lord for making circuits and programs that make cool sounds, but that's about it. So please don't lift me up on a pedestal, for then thou shalt smell my stinkin' feet, lol.

I'll wrap up this message by stating that anyone can become as skilled as I am in their own particular chosen skillset through hard work and dedication plus lots of fun imagineering too. In fact, my wandering mind makes me think of starting another radio show on the subject of teaching music electronics to folks who want those skills. Think I should do that?

Les

p.s. love the hand-drawn case graphics too!

RingMad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry Les, I didn't mean to stir anything up... I liked the circuits you shared with us, and I'm glad you are sharing your knowledge with us too.

Instead of isolating the audio from my video-demo, I recorded a new audio-only demo, attempting to show some of the various sounds it can make.

I don't touch the speed of the trigger oscillators until about 1m50s, mainly playing with the starve, range capacitors, "resonance" and "pitch" controls. At around 2m33s, I switch the oscillators off and it's just a radio signal triggering...

James/RingMad

RingMad_Spacial_Percussionizer_Demo4.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RingMad_Spacial_Percussionizer_Demo4.mp3
 Filesize:  4.73 MB
 Downloaded:  1304 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am very happy with how well that spatializer works! Wearing headphones, I very clearly perceived the sound bouncing around in the four positions inside my head. Excellent work!

As for the sounds, they range from percussion through weirdness and all in between. The sound has that classic Lunetta harshness that some love so much. I found that the sound became more musical, but less obviously spatialized around the middle of the recording, which was a nice trade-off.

Overall I feel you did an excellent job of using my circuit designs as part of your overall concept. I can see this thing as a source for ambient space music and the like, especially if the ambient effects preserve the spatialization - it's a real head trip!

Well done RingMad!

Les

RingMad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad you like it, Les. Last fall when I had it on the breadboards, I used it in a space-ambient vein jamming with friends. It went through a bit of reverb and delay and formed a nice bed for our other sounds, providing a pseudo-regular beat, but with some randomness and occasional weird noises.
RingMad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I've been very busy of late due to a certain electronic sound box project for a friend of mine... basically a customized version of this box... my friend wanted 4 channel spatialized output instead of 2, and the triggers & spatialize rate oscillators all CV-able. It was my biggest box project so far... 8 chips and a lot of panel hardware... a lot of work done under a sortof deadline.

The 4-channel adaptation of the spatializer circuit was easier than I thought... all I did was build a second 4052 circuit, and split the signal-to-be-spatialized so that it goes to both 4052's. An LM324 buffers the 2 pairs of outputs....

No demo video this time, because it sounds pretty similar to the original box, and I can't really demo the 4-channel output, but I did post a photo in this thread...
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51538-225.html .

James.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey RingMad, that's cool - building a box for your buddy is beyond the call of duty. I'll let the readers in on a little secret if you don't mind, my man, here goes.

RingMad emailed me asking for help with this project and I didn't have time to help him out but I did offer some advice which was to study the datasheets and really get into understanding how it all worked before attempting to go quadraphonic with it. Well don'tchaknowit he did just that and sort of mastered an understanding of this circuit before successfully making the mod himself.

When I gave him high praise for his engineering effort, RingMad downplayed it, stating that all he did was daisy-chain my work. I, however feel that our brother in chips here took a bold step, going from "what do I do I'm lost" to "I fully understand this now". For me, it's a bit like teaching engineers in college to think for themselves. Instead of giving him a fish I taught him to fish and in that sense RingMad has graduated from curious / enthusiastic hobbyist to capable engineer in at least the scope of one project.

I look forward to seeing what RingMad will do in the future because he is now armed with the knowledge of technique - studying the datasheets intently and fully wrapping his head around a project. That's a big step up from enthusiasm of the lost to engineering methodology. Who knows, will RingMod outdo Jingle Joe or PHOBoS or Inventor in his future endeavors? Is he capable of soldering large stacks of chips into works of art? If not a man of steel, is he a man of copper and silicon? Stay tuned to this channel for another RingMad episode, dear reader!

Les

p.s. now he's REALLY embarrassed! LOL!

RingMad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, not really beyond the call of duty... I was payed for it. I did work pretty hard, tho!

I did downplay, but part of it was due to feeling a bit silly because I hadn't grasped the thing about multiplexors/demultiplexors... and that is simply that they are 2-way. Ins can be outs.

The other part is because even though you explained very well how the spatializer worked, it didn't sink in at first.

Then the solution to making it 4-channel was actually quite simple, making my plea for help more trivial. On a technical note, it's actually two pairs of 2-channel outputs. Anyway, I set up my mixer with 2 sets of speakers and it's pretty fun, sounds flying all over the place!

Sheesh Les, you're putting the pressure on with what you wrote... people are gonna expect great things from me, now! Smile I don't think I can compete with those names....

Again, thanks for these circuits. I think this box (the first one) is my favourite of all, and surprisingly versatile. Recently I went out of town to jam with some friends and only had enough room in my backpack for one box... this was it... and the jam was really quite good... I think we're even going to release a little CD-R of it.

James.
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:
Sheesh Les, you're putting the pressure on with what you wrote... people are gonna expect great things from me, now! Smile I don't think I can compete with those names....

Bollocks!

Experiment, hard work and study. That is the key Smile

I feel like I know nothing, but fortunately many intellectuals and engineers such as Moog and Feynman (who may be familiar to you) and Jamie Mantzel (who may not be) have all expressed the same sentiments with regard to knowledge and understanding. Sometimes the best ideas just come out of the æther.

I'm going back to bed, it's become suddenly aparent that my brain isn't quite working yet. I only got up because I still have chilli on my hands and I rubbed my eye. Neutral

P.S. Nice device I look forwards to egtting my spacializer Smile

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: