electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
CMOS ADSR
Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Thomas_Henry

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: CMOS ADSR
Subject description: Includes a built-in light show
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone,

Here's the next project. This is a full-featured ADSR with indicator lights. It was really fun to come up with the logic for this---lots and lots of scribbling on scratch paper was required. The hard part, of course, was figuring out how to indicate the Sustain phase. That kept me going for a while.

Note that it can also be used in AR and AD mode with equal ease.

Thomas Henry

Sheet 1.jpg
 Description:
Schematic --- Sheet 1
 Filesize:  106.93 KB
 Viewed:  2763 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Sheet 1.jpg

Sheet 2.jpg
 Description:
Schematic --- Sheet 2
 Filesize:  60.17 KB
 Viewed:  1931 Time(s)

Sheet 2.jpg

Parts List.jpg
 Description:
Parts List
 Filesize:  62.48 KB
 Viewed:  1900 Time(s)

Parts List.jpg

andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

love the Leds for each stage Cool what a great feature

Thanks for sharing Thomas
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We like lightshows! Very Happy Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
thebot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love the idea of four separate LEDs for each stage. This would make a great first ADSR, would really help new synthesists to visualise the typical ADSR sounds. Lovely design Thomas, thanks for sharing.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thinking about it, if one made the front panel to this design out of white perspex, and used the LED's (each coloured differently- naturally) to illuminate the front panel.... wouldn't that look nice? Idea
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful! Cool
Boogdish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool, thanks for sharing Thomas! This would be a great project to use clear shaft pots with LEDs under them. I agree with "thebot" this would be a great module for showing people new to synthesis how it works.
AlasdairMoons

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is someone doing a PCB run on this project or has some PCB-Layouts - I'am very interrested

my DIY-blog: http://ardvinnamodular.blogspot.be
my DIY Youtube-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAR64-81C3FbK_Hejz2QHw
my Music-Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzTd_AEK6CVM4gn325wvjYQ
my Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AlasdairMoon
Appliancide*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great! With all of the logic for the leds worked out already, it shouldn't be too much work to derive "stage high" gates and end out triggers.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A relative noob asks: what are "Stage high" Gates? End triggers seem obvious enough....
Appliancide*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was picturing a gate out that would be held high while the corresponding led was lit, if that makes it easier to grok.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, that was what I was thinking it must be given context, but I hadn't heard of such things being used/useful before Smile

Danke!
AlasdairMoons

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

may I ask a noob question to this project regarding the shematics??..

on sheet 1 at the trigger and gate jack there are lines with arrows
near trigger one between the J1 and C1
and near gate between J2 and R16, here the arrow is pointing from +15V

is this a potentiometer, a direct connection or ... ???

Saw the arrows on potentiometers or trimmer, but never like that ...

please could someone explain??

my DIY-blog: http://ardvinnamodular.blogspot.be
my DIY Youtube-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAR64-81C3FbK_Hejz2QHw
my Music-Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzTd_AEK6CVM4gn325wvjYQ
my Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AlasdairMoon
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are switches in the connectors which are opened when a plug is put in.
schmidtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks TH! Further proof you are the master of functionality and simplicity in design. A few questions. . .

1.) Output is 0 to +5V log response?

2.) The switching jack on the trigger in allows gate only adsr?

3.) What's the range switch do?

4.) Any info on the times of the envelope stages?

If this is too many questions, "build it and see" is an acceptable response Wink
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

schmidtc wrote:
2.) The switching jack on the trigger in allows gate only adsr?

that's how i understand it, and the gate input is normalled to 15V to aloow trigger only operation.

Quote:
3.) What's the range switch do?

changes the timing cap value to allow for slower envelopes.

re stage gates and end trigger:
i thought of adding another TL074 to buffer these outputs.
the end trigger would occure as soon as the ADSR goes into the release stage, otherwise one would have to add an additional comparator.
is an end trigger useful when in ADSR mode?

marvkaye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As much as I'd prefer a nice double-sided through-hole plated PCB for this incredibly cool EG (thank you Thomas, you never fail to amaze...) I confess that I'm not up to the task and so decided to take the coward's way out and create a strip board layout instead. After a few false starts I finally managed to come up with a reasonable design, finished size is just under 1.5 X 4.5 inches (37 x 114mm for those of you who prefer metric) and thought I'd share it here for anyone who's itching to build one of these in a more permanent format than breadboard.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Tomorrow I'll see about getting another picture up with all of the panel connections (green squares) labelled... please note, I have not physically built this yet but did double-check it for accuracy using the test mode in LochMaster, which actually works pretty well. I'll give it another once over tomorrow with less tired eyes, just to be sure. Please let me know if you spot any glaring errors. I hope you find it useful.

<marv>

(edit... I almost forgot... the connection between IC1 pin 2 and IC4 pin 5 needs to be done with a jumper wire that's not shown on the stripboard. )

(edit 2... here's the panel wiring map...

<m>

Last edited by marvkaye on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For Lochmaster, on the rear view, the cuts are obvious enough, but what are all the circles? They don't seem to correspond to the pins coming through the board, but I confess I haven't counted out to triple check that.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the circles are solder. The board is flipped bottom to top rather than left to right. I didn't know the circuit layout could be tested before building. That's a good feature.

It's probably just me, but I would be trying to make the layout fit in just over half that space. I'd try not to run jumpers under the IC's (or over as I have seen before elsewhere). I never run components diagonally. I don't even like having them horizontally orientated, unless to do otherwise will increase the footprint substantially. Anyway, I hope it functions first time for you. That's always a nice feeling.
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, yes, top to bottom lines up. Thank you Smile
marvkaye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bump to point back to the edit above where I added the panel wiring map to the strip board layout post.

-minus- wrote:
I didn't know the circuit layout could be tested before building. That's a good feature.

Yeppers, it's very cool... the "tester" lights up all the components and strips connected to its "probe". Really aids in the greenlining process.
marvkaye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
For Lochmaster, on the rear view, the cuts are obvious enough, but what are all the circles? They don't seem to correspond to the pins coming through the board, but I confess I haven't counted out to triple check that.

Just FYI, all of the "cuts" that are centered on holes are actually done with an 1/8" drill bit. Stick it in a pin vise, put the tip in the proper hole and give it a couple twists... pretty quick and painless. The narrow cuts between holes I do with a thin saw blade in a Dremel... they can be done with a razor knife but I find the mini-saw approach to be much more controllable and yields superior results. JIC you're thinking about getting started w/ strip board yourself. Search around and take a look at some of Uncle Krunkus's examples... he's a real artist with it.

<m>
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right, I built minus' TR-808 drum voice stripboard, and figured that out pretty quickly (about the drill bit). Although my stripboard must be slightly wider or something because I still had to go back and clean up with an exacto (aka razor knife).

I've never had ANY luck using a dremel for anything of any precision, so I think I'll stick with the knife for the narrow cuts too Very Happy Cutting wheels in particular always seem to fly apart at the worst possible moment, and I don't have any kind of reciprocating dremel or attachment. Maybe a teensy diamond head, who knows, but I'd probably end up cutting 3 strips instead of just one.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, I think that was slacker I think who originally posted that stripboard of the 808 kick drum.

Yes, if it weren't for uncle krunkus and his wsg stripboard, I may never have ended up on the stripboard path.

A 3MM drill bit works for me, but I guess you could go up to 4MM if it wasn't wide enough to cut the width of the tracks.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind giving this circuit a go!
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have to say this is a beautiful design. Wow, so simple Smile
Thomas did it again!

Now I'm going to build one on stripboard Smile

Perhaps a nice add-on which would be very unique is to connect a buffer to the same place as the LEDs, that way you have gate outs depending on the stage. Smile
Edit, oh, I forgot to read all comments again, it was already mentioned. Cool

Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: