electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
ADSR Loop/retrigger modification?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
smokestacksproductions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: ADSR Loop/retrigger modification?
Subject description: possible to add this function?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I have built a YUSYNTH ADSR V2 and I really enjoy using this module to drive my YUSYNTH VCA. I need another envelope to control my filters, and I came across some designs that have a "Loop" switch, which retriggers the envelope, allowing it to be used kind of like an LFO. I was wondering if there is some modification I can do to the YUSYNTH ADSR to gain this functionality?
Benjamin AM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It"s possible. I've done it, although it requires etching another very small board.
marfoski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Benjamin AM wrote:
It"s possible. I've done it, although it requires etching another very small board.

Can you elaborate please?
Benjamin AM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Basically I added a retrigger circuit, which in my opinion is a more versatile then adding all of the circuitry involved in a looping ADSR. The retrigger circuit is just a copy of Mr. Usson's Schmidt trigger pulse circuit. I exclude the connection to the 555 reset pin, schematics are attached. The original purpose of the mod is to be able to reset the E.G. with a trigger pulse(positive excursion). So, two short overlapping notes can become two distinctive staccato sounds or another way to put it is an override to legato notes. With that said, I like to keep my options modular because I do not use the looping ADSR patch much. One could definitely install it all into a single module. With my mod installed the patch is as follows For looping ADSR: Constant 5 to 10V is applied to the Gate in. The out is split between modulation out and the other side is sent to a comparator(yes I use Yves' design). Positive triggers(pulses) from the comparator are sent back to the Retrigger input. Set the trip level, adjust the E.G.to desired shape and frequency, and that's it. Gated Looping ADSR: Same patch but plug in gate signal instead of V+.

ADSR-V2-sch.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.44 KB
 Viewed:  483 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ADSR-V2-sch.gif

Benjamin AM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did this mod quite a while ago, if I where to redo it I may just create an AND gate at the base of the original Q3. To do this, I would forgo the Second R10 and Q3 Leaving the new circuit so it terminates with the capacitor. Cut the trace between the original C4 and Q3(keeping R10 and Q3's base connected with a trace). Run some diodes from the original C4(cut trace) and the new C4 and have them meet at the junction of Q3 and R10. This should create the AND gate.
Well in the mean time, it still works great.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: