electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Yusynth VCO range selector
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rubdrisi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:  Yusynth VCO range selector
Subject description: Need to add range selector
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have designed PCBs for Yusynth VCA, noise generator, ADSR envelope, and Moog filter clone. While preparing to design my PCB from the oscillator schematic I realized there is not a range selector. Any info on how I can add a range selector mod to this VCO?

Also, if an oscillator does not have a gate for note-on/note-off, how can it produce a C note with value 0V?

The page at Yusynth with the schematics is at
http://yusynth.net/Modular/index_en.html

Direct link to the image file is http://yusynth.net/Modular/Commun/VCO/VCO-sch-thumb.gif

Ru Drisi
[/url]
magman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ru,

First, welcome to the forums.

There is actually a dedicated forum here for supporting YuSynth projects, here: http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-170.html. It might be worth asking one of the mods to move your question over to this forum as you will be more likely to get additional replies.

I will attempt to answer some of your question now though.

First, most VCO's are not gated at all, they continually produce a tone. It is the job of VCA's, normally controlled by an ADSR to control the amplitude (or volume) of the tone that is generated by the VCO.

Next, the tuning of the oscillator is accomplished by the coarse and fine tune controls. You set the initial note that the oscillator plays with these controls, say a C at 0V on CV input, then each 1V increase on the CV input will raise the note played by the oscillator by 1 octave.

These controls work by feeding a voltage into the oscillator CV control circuit, so If you wish, you can replace the coarse control with a switch with selected resistors to give you the range steps you are looking for. The pot used for the coarse control is a 25k, so a switch with 10 by 2K5 resistors would be a basic solution. A better solution would have trimmer resistors at each end of the divider resistors, so that you can get an octave change for each switch step. There have been a few designs for this kind of switch (Called an Octave Switch) posted on these forums in the past, try the search tool on the forums to hunt these down I f you still want to go the switched route.

Personally, I have used the YuSynth Standards module to do a similar function, for a few of my VCO's, but mainly to set a fixed offset when using multiple oscillators (one VCO tuned a precise note different from another VCO). For normal operation though, I just tune the VCO's using the normal coarse and fine controls then rely on the keyboard or sequencer to provide the CV control.

Hope this helps

Regards

Magman
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah .. had missed it, thanks for pointing that out magman - moved now.

And welcome Ru.

yusynth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ru

If you read thoroughly the VCO page down to the "The DIY builder's gallery" you will find a link to a PDF giving information to add an octave switch :
Quote:
In this PDF file Mariano gives some hints on how to add a range switch and moding the VCO in order to use regular NTC instead of the PTC tempco resistor.

rubdrisi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Yusynth VCO range selector Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know (yet) how to make a reply that is to a specific post. Here goes; we'll see what happens with this one.

Thank you Magman and Jan. I think this forum is very special. A very special thank you and props to Yves. I hate it when I miss something in the instructions. I still baffle myself on how I do that.

Ru Drisi
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Yusynth VCO range selector Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rubdrisi wrote:
I don't know (yet) how to make a reply that is to a specific post. Here goes; we'll see what happens with this one.

Thank you Magman and Jan. I think this forum is very special. A very special thank you and props to Yves. I hate it when I miss something in the instructions. I still baffle myself on how I do that.

Ru Drisi

Glad you like it Very Happy and please don't be afraid to make mistakes we'll find a way to fix it if you mess up .. it's the only proper way to learn after all Laughing

rubdrisi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Yusynth VCO range selector Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad you like it Very Happy and please don't be afraid to make mistakes we'll find a way to fix it if you mess up .. it's the only proper way to learn after all Laughing[/quote]

Thanks, Jan.
rubdrisi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Yusynth VCO range selector
Subject description: reply to Magman
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
These controls work by feeding a voltage into the oscillator CV control circuit, so If you wish, you can replace the coarse control with a switch with selected resistors to give you the range steps you are looking for. The pot used for the coarse control is a 25k, so a switch with 10 by 2K5 resistors would be a basic solution. A better solution would have trimmer resistors at each end of the divider resistors, so that you can get an octave change for each switch step.

Personally, I have used the YuSynth Standards module to do a similar function, for a few of my VCO's, but mainly to set a fixed offset when using multiple oscillators (one VCO tuned a precise note different from another VCO). For normal operation though, I just tune the VCO's using the normal coarse and fine controls then rely on the keyboard or sequencer to provide the CV control.

Thanks, Magman. I was trying to figure out the resistor values to make a mod to the design. The trim pots would be essential. I checked out the schematic for the Yusynth Standards and that is what I need.

I love this forum. I used to be an assistant sysop for Jeff Elkins at his Electronic Music Forum onMSN. when the World Wide Web began.

Cheers,
Ru Drisi
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: