electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
PowerArpV2 - Creating patterns as a function of N and AX+B
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bantri

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 32

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: PowerArpV2 - Creating patterns as a function of N and AX+B Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the final result for an experiment that started with Mathstep, i think it came to a level of optimization and simplicity that it deserves creating a new topic.

The heart of the strucure for dealing with integer patterns is to create 2 modules
0 to N-1 Counter (optimized using digital circuits)
and
AX+B

then its possible to define any integer sequence in terms of those 2
both operate with signed integer math allowing both to receive inputs from both.
I made a very simple and clear example showing inputs and outputs for illustration purposes but once the principle is understood its possible to omit those to start building circuits with 0=>N-1 and AX+B blocks.

as an example
1,-1,+1... can be done with counter=01010101 and AX+B=-2X+1

PowerArp2005V2-Bantri.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PowerArp2005V2-Bantri.pch2
 Filesize:  2.92 KB
 Downloaded:  1204 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why are some of the modules labeled obsolete?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bantri

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are modules that were used in PowerArp V1 and they were made using the same train of thought used to create MathStep, i have included them in version 2 just to show that you should avoid them because the new digital N-1 counter and the AX+B behave better. I was having a few cases on those where the N-1 result was equal to N-2 resulting in hearing the last note twice. The main catch for those obsolete modules is: both have clock inputs which is WRONG, when dealing with cyclical integer math there should be clock input only in the COUNTER module, never in the SUM/MULTIPLICATION module, because when you start using several counters and ax+b´s eliminating one extra clock input can save you from a big synchonizing error headache. I discovered this when i started trying to use pulse and pulse delay modules to compensate those errors... then when i changed the BPM those calibrated pulses and delays started failing again... use them as a last resource.
bantri

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: PowerArp example with a few extra tricks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heres an example using quadruple scale, div and mod 16 small function, 2 counters, 2 ax+b and one randomizer
bantri

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Previous post with missing attachment, posted here Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PowerArp example

PowerArp2005V2Example01-Bantri.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PowerArp2005V2Example01-Bantri.pch2
 Filesize:  3.6 KB
 Downloaded:  1190 Time(s)

cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great stuff, bantri. so much food for thought, here.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bantri, do you have some examples in mp3 or ogg of how you use this in tracks? I´d be very interested. I would also like to encourage you to perhaps share some ideas on how you see your arps relating to the overall track structure in the "composition" corner. If you´d like to and can spare the time, of cource.
bantri

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: mp3 samples Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven´t done any examples yet because i´ve just developed the method recently, if you want to hear some patterns the first ones that come to my mind are:

osho kundalini meditation
http://www.osho.nl/New-Osho-NL/Meditation/Kundalini.htm

twiddly bits demos from keyfax
http://www.keyfax.com/keyfax/New_Twid.html

tablatorium percussive patch for reaktor

and trance music from shakta, talamasca, infected mushroom, astrix, yahel, muses rapt, sun project, alien project and so many others that make this kind of music

also note that currently the generator creates only constant length and constantly spaced notes, but those can follow the same principles applied to note pitch
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: