electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Polyphonic Vocal Intonator/Harmoniser 2
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject:  Polyphonic Vocal Intonator/Harmoniser 2
Subject description: New version, with formant correction/manipulation (yes sir)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a further development of this patch:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-26222.html

The pitch-shifting core circuit has changed somewhat. I followed my weird idea about doing a wavecycle-based kind of formant-correction. Basically, instead of pitch-shifting, this circuit performs a sort of VOSIM-style processing on the voice signal. Individual tonal wavecycles of the incoming audio are recognized and then brutally (Laughing) hardsynced to a carrier wave (which defines the new pitch), and the resulting steep waveform flanks smoothed out afterwards. In this way, the formants of the original signal are preserved.

It's an admittedly crude technique, and so I was amazed at how good it actually works. It sounds way better than expected, more artificial than a resynthesis-based algorithm, but still more natural than a vocoder. Also, since it works with a totally different concept, the voiced-unvoiced processing (from the first version) isn't necessary anymore, so I threw it out.

Controls:

INPUT Source, Pad: select audio input channel etc.
INPUT GATE (parameters): noise gate for the input
INPUT COMP (parameters): compressor for the input

PITCH RECOGNISE Response: Response speed of the adaptive pitch-tracker.
PITCH RECOGNISE Deviate: erm... difficult to explain. Basically defines the "deviation allowance window" between cycles. If this doesn't make any sense at all Laughing never mind. Just tweak it and listen to the results.
WAVE Edge: Controls the smoothing of the sharp waveform flanks caused by the VOSIM processing.
FORMANT <shift>: Yes sir Cool. Shift formants upwards for a dwarf choir, or downwards for a ogre choir. Zero is original formant
PITCH (parameters): target pitch
VIBRATO (parameters): vibrato of the target pitch

...plus, again, some self-explanatory EQ and FX stuff.

VoiceIntonate2TK.pch2
 Description:
New version, with formant correction/manipulation (yes sir)

Download
 Filename:  VoiceIntonate2TK.pch2
 Filesize:  3.95 KB
 Downloaded:  2876 Time(s)

Last edited by Tim Kleinert on Wed May 14, 2008 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim. this one works! Laughing

#1 and #2 each have their charms.

Two thumbs up... thumright thumleft

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolutely awesome. I liked the first one but my rubbish mic wasn't loving it but this one is so smooth. Smile

Great work.

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
I liked the first one but my rubbish mic wasn't loving it but this one is so smooth. Smile

Yes, the voiced/unvoiced-processor was difficult to tame. Also, this design is incapable of pitch-warbling, as the wave cycles are brutally forced into line via hardsync.
I still get the occasional waveform warble though, especially when not singing/talking clearly. That is due to the "multiple-zero-crossings-periodicity"-detection (meaning: recognition of periodic oscillations with more than one zero crossing) not being 100% bulletproof, causing discrete "phase-jumps". I'm mulling over alternative approaches to that issue. I'll post an update if it works.

Anyhow, my current favourite performance shtick with this patch is to assign the formant control to the modwheel. A choir of "mes" morphing into dwarfs as I sing. Classic. Laughing
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quentin Crisp wrote:
"If music continues on its present course, the human race will sink back into an amoebic state where it will take a coagulation of hundreds of teenagers to from a single cogent thought."

did Quentin mean form Question unfortunately it does not seem to apply to teenagers only Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, a typo, sorry, thanks for pointing it out. fixed.
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great patch! I know Tim is not with us anymore, however: is there a way to turn this thing into an auto-tune patch? It seems to me the only difference would be that the pitch does not react to all the keys that are being depressed but only to the nearest pitch.
I tried to set the patch to Mono, but that would've been too easy, would it?

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
Great patch! I know Tim is not with us anymore, however: is there a way to turn this thing into an auto-tune patch? It seems to me the only difference would be that the pitch does not react to all the keys that are being depressed but only to the nearest pitch.
I tried to set the patch to Mono, but that would've been too easy, would it?

Don't worry, I still skim this place occasionally, see what you guys are up to. Smile

If you want straightforward auto-tune, this patch probably isn't the right thing to start with.

This patch circumvents the whole pitch-detection/correction problem by taking the played keys as given and doing the formant-preserving waveshaping thing as good as possible. Pitch detection still has to be done, but the errors don't produce nasty pitch warbles but only spectral warbles in the waveform, which are way less intrusive.

The whole thing, as described, only works because the played keys provide the static pitch reference.

If you want straightforward auto-tune snapped to a given scale, the pitch of the incoming signal itself is the reference, and thus has to be detected as accurately as possible. On the other hand, since snapping to the closest scale note doesn't result in pitch-shifting by more than 2 semitones, the whole formant-preserving issue can be discarded.

I've learned a bit since this patch and meanwhile come up with a better pitch detection method than is implemented here. It uses the stock G2 pitch-detection module plus extra circuitry to make it produce more reliable (and meaningful) results. It's published as a building block here:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-52784.html
Hooking the pitch-detection output to a key-quantizer module representing the desired diatonic scale, and using the inverse difference between actual pitch and quantized pitch to modulate a pitch-shifter fed with the input signal (the stock G2 pitch-shifter module should be sufficient for this) should give you what you want. (For the aperiodic scenario, simply bypass the thing via crossfading.)

Hope this helps.

cheers,
t
sebber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear Tim, thanks for the info and the building block. I have to say that your patching skills just kill me. Thanks for all you've done here!
Cheers
Seb

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
Dear Tim, thanks for the info and the building block.

Dear Seb, you're very welcome. Did it work BTW?

Quote:
I have to say that your patching skills just kill me.

Crying or Very sad That wasn't my intention... ...just kidding. Laughing Don't hesitate to PM me if you need to figure something out.

Quote:
Thanks for all you've done here!

Again, very welcome. When I was an absolute beginner, people like Rob and Chet were very generous with their knowledge, time and -of course- great patches. Glad I can give something back now.

Still have one G2X here, cleaned and packed up, ready to be sold. Sometimes I still peek over to it and think... hmm. Still have so many patching ideas. Oh well. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

cheers,
-t
sebber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would have to give it another try, but after trying out quite some software and losing quite some time I ended up with simply buying the software the composer uses, which I got cheap second hand (Auto-Tune live).

The idea of the piece that I'm playing ("Mono" by Simon Steen-Anderson) is to de-rail pitch correction algorithms by singing exactly between two notes and make the algorithm go crazy.

I do not like the idea of having to use a specific software and the idea of the composition should be doable with other software as well. However, Auto-Tune indeed does a nice job in fucking it up, much nicer than the built in pitch correction algorithm in, say, MainStage. So, in the end I ended up with Auto-Tune for aesthetic reasons Smile

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
So, in the end I ended up with Auto-Tune for aesthetic reasons Smile

Well, Antares Autotune IS the benchmark for that kind of sound -for better or for worse . Laughing Wink
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Jump to: