electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Randomize selected modules?
Page 2 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are still some issues with the randomizer - like it can crash for some patches (PitchShift module), hang for others (SeqRandom and possibly others with dynamic selectors containing dashes) and it displays some unwanted stuff occasionally (also an issue with dashes in selector lists) ... fixed most of that here already.

I'm working with the randomizer here on some large older patches, so some more stuff may show up.

When you run into anything please let me know, so I can look into that as well.

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the update on the possibility of crashes. Since I have a few other projects I am working on, I will wait a bit longer before attempting the wren randomizer sample template I mentioned.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The crashes seem gone now, but I've created some new opportunities for crashes as I've turned stuff inside out a bit. I implemented variations for a patch, and am now working on basing the randomizer / morpher code on that.

The idea is that variations will be stored with a patch, so that generated variations will not get lost.

So .. there will be some worms in the main toolbar too now ...

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

This needs a little work still, not everything is working OK Confused

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow Jan, I missed a couple years when a small child arrived here, and haven't seen this project since it was "Modular thingie"...this has become quite a decent synth! I love the fact that many modules complement the external gear I have..like CSV sequencer? awesome!

I'll slowly fill my nights with this new joy Smile Oh, and I'd throw in another request for VST/plugin...it just allows multiple things to run on one system, and standard ASIO drivers don't allow for that without workarounds.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I'll slowly fill my nights with this new joy Smile Oh, and I'd throw in another request for VST/plugin...it just allows multiple things to run on one system, and standard ASIO drivers don't allow for that without workarounds.

This is interesting--for a while I have had issues of very poor audio quality from wren, and I was thinking it was my low CPU power not meeting up with the demand of wren's processing needs. However, now I am wondering if it is the way wren uses ASIO drivers in combination of the rest of my system--or perhaps tries to use.

I have been following the development of wren, esp. since the new randomization features/capability and am anxiously awaiting it to stabilize before attempting to re-learn wren. So, perhaps a plug-in might work better for me, too--esp. if I could use my E-Mu ASIO channels with wren.

In any case, I agree--Jan's steady development of the wren modules over the years has been amazing.

Steve
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to know more about the 'very poor audio quality' issue you mentioned.

When ASIO is selected to be used Wren will try to use that - I have no idea what happens if such is not possible. I myself I get better performance when using Windows DirectSound drivers.

It may be the RME ASIO drivers that suck, it may be that Port Audio does not play nice with ASIO, or with RME, or with Windows, but ASIO just does not work for me very well - I get worse latency than with native Windows drivers - BUT - I do - NOT - get worse audio quality from ASIO.

Poor audio can be related to the processor not being able to keep up, which can be caused by buffer sizes being either too small or too large, or of course by patch complexity. The FAQ has some information on this.

Poor audio quality can be related to the sample rate too - 88k2 should be considered the minimum.

Also .. it may just all sound bad of course.

Anyway, I would like to know more about the issue.

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the detailed reply about the audio quality issue. I have my hands full with too many tasks, but will try to schedule some time to re-try wren looking at the FAQ for info about buffer sizes. A week or so ago I downloaded some of the ChucK-for-ASIO tweaks (just ran --probe to see what it showed), but maybe I can carve out some time to play with ASIO and both that and wren.

My interest in wren is for real-time performance with a midi controller, so DirectSound's midi-to-audio latency is insufferable to me--it comes nowhere close to what I get with the E-Mu or ASIO4all drivers. I prefer a closer correlation between fingers and ears.

Steve
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, yeah well .. YMMV .. I was mentioning my experience here.

I'd like to remark tho that DirectSound is not involved for MIDI on Wren, and the same holds for ASIO or any other audio driver ... but I do have to agree that the Wren latency for me is not quite what I'd like to see - like when I try to use it as an audio effect.

I was just remarking here .. there .. above ... that for me DirectSound gives lowest audio latency - there is not much that I could change there though - Wren outputs its audio when the driver asks for it, and it adds very little delay of itself, just a buffer length worth of delay.

So we have two issues now I guess, bad sound quality and bad latency, what a mess. Confused

Now the two could very well be inter-related of course, as in that small buffers would give better latency, but they may cause st st st utter ings - which would count as bad audio I guess.

Anyways .. please tell me more Smile

Page 2 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Jump to: