electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
3D Printed Ocarina
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: 3D Printed Ocarina
Subject description: Blow Test Successful!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a thank-you to Bill "djfoxyfox" Fox for all that he does, I offered to print an instrument for him on my 3D printer. He chose an Ocarina from the limited supply of choices - best choice IMHO.

I got the design (which by the way is non-commercially licensed) from Thingivese as a remix of another design in which the two halves have been modeled together and support added so that it prints as shown in the photo. Next I need to get out the Dremel tool and remove the support. That is, if Bill wants the support removed as it's kind of cool to set it down on the support like it is shown in the photo.

Anyway, six hours from nothing to instrument playing in hands is pretty amazing when you think about it!

Les

p.s. here is the link to the Thingiverse thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:602999

OCARINA.JPG
 Description:
The Ocarina on the print bed (alongside three Alamo combs)
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  699 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

OCARINA.JPG

Ocarina Blow Test 20170128 0927.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Ocarina Blow Test 20170128 0927.mp3
 Filesize:  4.77 MB
 Downloaded:  1193 Time(s)

Last edited by Inventor on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course, this means that I have blown into the instrument so i will have to make a new one for Bill so as to not share any theoretical cooties (I have no know cooties, but a nurse once told me "everyone has cooties" so to be safe...).

Les

Also it's printed in PLA which is porous so no amount of washing will truly sterilize it. So it's mine now lol. Next one is for Bill...

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I decided to remove the support which was interfering with my grip of the ocarina. I used the large sanding wheel.

Due to the low temperature of the plastic, it got a little melty in spots where i let the sanding disk rest even for just a brief moment. To compensate for this I used the disc extra-lightly and moved it around a lot. This worked very well.

There are more details to discuss, but suffice to say the job is done and needs further sanding with finer grits. Looks pretty good though I guess...

Les

Ocarena Dremelled.JPG
 Description:
Ocarena's big end after Dremelling to remove support and print errors.
 Filesize:  1.49 MB
 Viewed:  697 Time(s)

Ocarena Dremelled.JPG

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

errr... correction, the design is commercial (I traced the IP choices back to the original, all of them have Creative Commons, Attribution, and Commercial is allowed). Nice!

Les

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Ocarina

Inventor wrote:
Anyway, six hours from nothing to instrument playing in hands is pretty amazing when you think about it!

The only turn-around I can think of off-hand for that, normally, is either a diddly-bo or a drilled-up PVC pipe flute!

Very slick bit of work.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Ocarina

AlanP wrote:
Inventor wrote:

The only turn-around I can think of off-hand for that, normally, is either a diddly-bo or a drilled-up PVC pipe flute!

Very slick bit of work.

TY Alan! As 3D printing becomes more widespread, the print times will quicken. Also this object can be printed faster on a printer built for speed such as the Taz 6 with the Moar printhead.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The purple ocarena!

Les

ocarena purple.jpg
 Description:
Bill's ocarina
 Filesize:  1.62 MB
 Viewed:  691 Time(s)

ocarena purple.jpg

Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They turned out really cool Les
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perfect for the solo in "Wild Thing"!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know, it's funny how stupid i can be sometimes, racing in thought and really spinning my wheels. I took out the coarse grinder and shaped the end of the first ocarina the pearly white one. Well don't you know then I just switched to manual 400 grid sanding! I sat there for hours spinning my wheels.

The next day with a clear head I looked in the Dremel kit. They had provided me with media, fine, and extra file sanding wheels, then polishing bits of three varieties including wax abrasive loaded felt. I has everything needed to shine that ocarena''s butt to super gloss! Argh, the humanity!11 lol.

Les

Last edited by Inventor on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dan Lavin wrote:
Perfect for the solo in "Wild Thing"!

I was thinking the same thing--and then wondering what key the Ocarina was, if the design was such that makers could "print" them in different keys, and if music made on 3-D printed instruments from non-commercial designs could be used commercially without potentially running afoul of the license.

Note, the 1st two wonderings are serious questions; the third is just me being philosophical in what to me is a humorous/ironic comment about licensing in the 21st century. For the record (pun semi-intended), I don't think "Wild Thing" (a 1960s classic!) is in the public domain yet.

TRIVIA: Without looking it up, can you name two other 1960s hits from The Troggs? [No, they are not/never were a one-hit wonder group!] BTW, does anyone else remember the "Senator Bobby" version? http://greatbutforgotten.blogspot.com/2015/02/wild-thing.html

Anyhow, congrats, Les! And I would be interested to know about the key and tunability.

Plus another set of interrelated questions: I have an old RB pickup from the 1960s which included a metal mount (and cap) and a sort-of earpiece looking mic that snapped into the mount (with a rubber grommet to hold the mic in). So, I am wondering could the 3-D Ocarina be modified to (a) have a built-in plastic mount (with a detachable cover to seal it) so I could use the RB pickup and/or (b) have a new-fangled [maybe digital, preferably wireless] high quality audio output circuit?

Very interesting Ocarina!!!! I can easily imagine using it to make electronic music--preferably with a new-fangled wireless digital audio output, but if not with an old-fashioned mic pickup.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steve, i really enjoys your interest in the thread, I am beginning to become interested in the ocarina as well. I did some web surfing a while back.

Ocarinas have folk and historic (ancient) origins, mostly as clay items. In modern times the ocarina was featured prominently in the legend of zelda game series which exploded the market for ocarina makers.

The frequency of the ocarinas note is the sum of the areas of the open notes divided by the area of the device, wth the length also factored in there somehow(sorry for incomplete reference).

The Ocarina generates tones by forcing air over through a flat channel onto the pointy end off a chisel-shaped reed-like object.

more later

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh also as I get into the making of ocarinas on my 3d printer, I would possibly be interested in a service where I make ocarinas to your design specs and art drawings / 3d models / ideas.

please advise with ideas, especially noting how i tend to lose focus (but am getting better at completing things).

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MusicMan11712 wrote:
Plus another set of interrelated questions: I have an old RB pickup from the 1960s which included a metal mount (and cap) and a sort-of earpiece looking mic that snapped into the mount (with a rubber grommet to hold the mic in). So, I am wondering could the 3-D Ocarina be modified to (a) have a built-in plastic mount (with a detachable cover to seal it) so I could use the RB pickup and/or (b) have a new-fangled [maybe digital, preferably wireless] high quality audio output circuit?

send drawings, measurements, links to web pages, and I will help you design in your custom mic.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The ocarina, unlike other vessel flutes, has the unusual quality of not relying on the pipe length to produce a particular tone. Instead the tone is dependent on the ratio of the total surface area of opened holes to the total cubic volume enclosed by the instrument.[7] This means that, unlike a flute or recorder, sound is created by resonance of the entire cavity and the placement of the holes on an ocarina is largely irrelevant – their size is the most important factor. Instruments that have toneholes close to the voicing/embouchure should be avoided, however; as an ocarina is a Helmholtz resonator, this weakens tonal production.
- from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocarina

so it's the sum of the area of the open holes divided by the volume that sets the frequency.

note: that leaves units of distance^-1 from the ratio, so there are constants that take up that dimension.

Les

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the replies, Les. Interesting info about the Ocarina. As for the dimensions, I will have to find my pickup. I know I saw it sometime over the past 3 years, so I should still have it--somewhere.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually Steve, i thought about it and i wonder if you would be served better with a contact mic. Planning my first model of my first design series to include one. Note these are not for sale, they will be gifts.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

speaking of which, that first model of the first design has gotten some effort in on it today. I'm not the happiest with the results,, I'm sorry to say. As is often the case with creative endeavors, progress can be random.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the latest version of "Ocarina One", first in my first series. It's a 3D snake-like scaly metallic form to be printed in Carbon Fiber strengthened PETG plastic.

Les

OcarenaOne6.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.14 KB
 Viewed:  431 Time(s)

OcarenaOne6.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: