electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Circuit Bent, or synth?.. Yamaha PSS-130
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
darklife

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Circuit Bent, or synth?.. Yamaha PSS-130
Subject description: Built this demon
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Been viewing this site for some time and interested in synth design and got started circuit bending. Well I wanted to prove everyone wrong that the PSS-130 wasn't bendable but basically ended up in the same position as everyone else with these unbendable Yamahas, it's the most stubborn keyboard around and it gave me a run for my sanity.

I started with the most basic idea, pitch bend. This sounds easy right? NO.
It's crystal locked so I had to take an oscillator circuit and figure out how to feed the yamaha chip.
Well after I figured out how to do that with a CD40106 I thought .. "cool", but then the spark got lit.
I wasn't done, and it wasn't a complete project until I got far enough where I ripped out bits of plastic from inside to free the battery compartment area for more circuitry! It has room inside for bending, but it didn't for a 8 step sequencer lol.

I will type more later but I am new here and this is my first build/bend, also had a few drinks and need to get up early, but here is what I accomplished with the IMPOSSIBLE PSS-130 (equally the same as the PSS-30)...

Video of me performing a demo, skip ahead to see the sequencer, first few minutes is showing keyboard playing as is before I switch on circuits I added one at a time..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6SYIzO3dLk

Pics of the build...
https://imgur.com/a/UXI61hZ

Sorry schematics are terrible in the imgur link, I will draw them better later, but as of right now this is my first project. I am quite acquainted with RF electronics and analog stuff, but this is my first head-first into music electronics.

I'm not sure if I posted in the right area because this really bends the lines between circuit bending and synth building given that I circuit bent this keyboard but added in a lot of synth circuitry to take care of the rest.

I want to thank this form and the people here because I lurked a while and learned a lot. I hope to contribute more soon when time permits.

Hope you like Smile

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/img]
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Circuit Bent, or synth?.. Yamaha PSS-130
Subject description: Built this demon
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

darklife wrote:
Hope you like Smile

Cool pretty nice!

and welcome

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks great! Very Happy I like how you integrated everything, it can be quite a puzzle to fit things in. Sounds good too.
Did you prepare the keys in any way before painting ? I had very mixed results with painting them myself.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Saw this on Reddit last week. Glad you joined the forum darklife! Looking forward to what you do next!
darklife

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Did you prepare the keys in any way before painting ? I had very mixed results with painting them myself.

I used 91% rubbing alcohol on the keys to rub off some lettering the previous owner marked to know which key was which note. I think that alone helped prep them. Around 4 coats of spray paint and a few gloss clear coat. Seems to be nice and solid.

My only regret is the color choice, thinking gray keys would have been neater but I used colors I had on hand and it grew on me, plus it matches an instrument amplifier I made. Body is a kind of bronze that has a neat texture under the light that the photo doesn't capture properly.

Thanks for the compliments folks! Very Happy
darklife

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fun little tune I made earlier on it, only added some background guitar and a few reverb effects, otherwise it's all the Yamaha keyboard multitracked...
https://soundcloud.com/kagemichaels/defective-machine-yami
I was going for that psychedelic toying around sound and I think the keyboard nails it.
smmpcomposer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yo!
Very nice stuff!You can tell tou're an expert... Would be nice to see more of the schematics though Razz
PiercedFaceMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Pitch bend Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anybody have a schematic for this or is anyone able to draw a quick schematic of the pitch bend part.
Around the jfet and transistor I just can't figure out what's going on.

Thanks muchlee.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: