electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Wow. It's been quiet here for quite some time now.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Richarius

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Wow. It's been quiet here for quite some time now. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seeing how quiet that it is here electro-music especially over the last year as well as over at a Lunetta Group in Facebook - I've been wondering if it could be that the area of experimenting with Lunetta styled circuitry, has lost interest for people? Just in case that could be - to try and re-liven other's interest in it. I myself have been doing it slightly differently since my ‘Day 2’ playing with it. Maybe this could help spawn / re-spawn interest from others?

I've essentially been a self-taught musician for the last 47 years. Rarely practicing any interest instead, picking up and "getting 'er done". I've learned how to play and do things in some different ways.

Melodically and rhythmically, a fairly wide range of tastes / interests / methods of creation have evolved in my creation of stuff.

This has also been applied since my Day 2, to my Lunetta works.

The Lunetta methods for hooking things up has been able to provide us with a wonderful range of generating sounds, that we don't normally have within the strict and structured world of sample; synthesis and found sounds. Even with modular synthesizers that allow you to further explore the 'unknown', there are some fairly strict limitations.

The Lunetta 'world' helps to remove a lot of this.

This is where I'm coming to: speaking of limitations - there have been some followings under the Lunetta 'umbrella' that have been fairly strict as well. That, is where I have used my term 'Day 2'. I learned of those 'restrictions' in my 'Day 1'. Having already been familiar with the areas that they're keeping me away from, I thereby ignored them from Day 2 on and have dived much deeper into bringing my interpretation of 'Lunetta' farther into the regular 'modular' world.

This, is the point that I've set out to bring up:

Using the 'Lunetta' mindset, to make music. Smile

The main thing that many have to 'throw away' is the restrictions of tuning scales and specified 'notes' A through G. Heck with that.
Same thing rhythmically. All rhythms don't have to be centred around 1 main clock. There can be collectives, centered around their own main clocks - working together.

I've played in this area enough now to really be able to appreciate some of the wonderful moods, environments, melodies and rhythmic collections that can be generated, by a Lunetta inspired patch!

Even a single oscillator (with at least 2 distinctly different waveforms), playing a melody, can be satisfying - as were, my very 1st piece made earlier this week, returning to Lunetta experimenting.

To close, How, you may ask?

- It had been taught to hook chip's pins up directly
-- Yes - sometimes that works wonderful. But at other times, we do have occurrences that prevent things from working properly or in an expected or hoped towards way, without a resistor, diode, transistor or buffer

- It had been suggested to stick within the CMOS and / or TTL area of chips specifically
-- I went against that on my 'Day 2', as I were missing so many other things that I were already very comfortable with, within the modular world of synthesis. I wanted to combine the 2, much more

- As often has been the case since the late 60's, sequences have been a repeating 8 step theme. Over and over and over and ...
-- Day 2 again. I much prefer playing a variety of repetitions and non-repetitions especially based on 3, 4 and 5 separately; together in parallel; one after the other in serial
--- Especially within this mindset: change and variety. Never the same thing over and over and ... even if it is a 4/4 bass drum ... every now and then, if only ever 8 or 16 bars, give it an extra occurrence - something, to break the monotony

--- afore I forget ---

The non-musical / non-melodic side of things in sound generation. Yes, I do enjoy creating that as well, within, including as well as outside of, the Lunetta 'umbrella'.

My difference from most there? It's 'mood based' - where I am the 'orchestrator' to a degree, of the portions of 'sound' that are created at any one time - live jamming of them. As opposed to setting up a patch and letting the machine go. No. That's too random; too pointless; no real purpose for me. There has to be a range of moods or at least a single mood, created; driven and performed to it's point and then conclusion.
That is actually - how I started out in September 1989 with my quad x CD4011 oscillator setup and 3 x multi-fx units, filling a 30 minute tape with a 'live jam'.
To this day still - one of my best noise creations ever - "Wandering Minds / Wondering Doubts".

Hope everyone out there, is having a good time. Smile
Richarius, Rykhaard, Molindarius, Deathlehem, Dolphinicus and I forget what other names over the years. Lol.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow. It's been quiet here for quite some time now. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Richarius wrote:
That is actually - how I started out in September 1989 with my quad x CD4011 oscillator setup and 3 x multi-fx units, filling a 30 minute tape with a 'live jam'.
To this day still - one of my best noise creations ever - "Wandering Minds / Wondering Doubts".

Yep thats a great one and it ended up in "It's just a Ride" Very Happy

Somehow your post reminded me that I still want to try a single oscillator patch. So 1 (high frequency) oscillator and everything else drived from
it with some lunetta logic. Could be a VCO which can be controlled by the patch but I think that should be that last part to add.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wow. It's been quiet here for quite some time now. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Richarius wrote:

Yep thats a great one and it ended up in "It's just a Ride" Very Happy

Wait! It's been posted 2 different waysl in the past with 1 of them being only 1/2 of the full piece.
Were the included one the 15 minute long only, 1st half? Or was it both halves for a total of 30 minutes?
You have to hear both of them together as the 1st half is so nice and mellow and wandering where the 2nd 1/2 picks up on that; maintains it for a little bit and then the 'horror movie' begins, increasing in intensity, to the end. Very Happy

GREAT that it were included on a list! By chance - is that list still available anywhere for listening, 5 years later? Surprised

Damn. I missed the line-up to sign autographs, as well! Gosh darn it. So many disappointed fans. Wink

Quote:

Somehow your post reminded me that I still want to try a single oscillator patch. So 1 (high frequency) oscillator and everything else drived from
it with some lunetta logic. Could be a VCO which can be controlled by the patch but I think that should be that last part to add.

1 of the reasons that I now have, 6 x VCable CD40106 oscillators. Very Happy
It can work, quite well.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The mp3 is also posted in that thread Wink
I loked it up and it's the first 10 minutes of a 30 minute version.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richarius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
The mp3 is also posted in that thread Wink
I loked it up and it's the first 10 minutes of a 30 minute version.

Sorry sir! I kept forgetting to reply to this. Surprised

I made sure that I have, the full 30 minute version. Kinda late but it's wayyyyy too bad the compo. didn't have it. The first 1/4 or 1/2 of the entire piece by itself ... misses the entire 'story'. Surprised
If want me to send it anywhere, that's no trouble. Smile I stopped attempting to make money years and years ago. Hahahhaa.

dk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It took me a while between reading this post and responding, but here we are...

Two thumbs up for the OP. I come from a background that includes programming synths in the studio for other people, but ironically I've never owned a proper synth or "electronic instrument" (save for a few guitar synths) until about a year ago when I started building my own. When I was deciding which path to go down, I wanted to find something that was a bit outside the realm of classic VCO-filter-VCA subtractive synthesis, that would both serve as a confrontation with things outside my realm of experience as well as help me gain a deeper understanding of how the things I do know how to use work. Lunettas seemed to fit the bill perfectly, as they're (relatively) cheap, the components are broken down into their most basic form, and lets face it... I've never laid hands on a Moog, ARP, etc., with a shift register in it Very Happy

I don't have the experience of many of you, but some observations from where I'm at at this point in time:

- Sometimes it's all too easy to run into performance limitations due to the way they're built. As you wrote, Richarius, sometimes tacking on a few extra parts makes things just a bit more functional, even if it falls outside the original concept of what a Lunetta is seemingly supposed to be.

- Versatility comes with either having LOTS of stuff in an instrument, or you need lots of small separate instruments. I get the mentality of limitations fueling creativity, but I don't have the means to build unique instruments for each performance, so sometimes it makes more sense to make the instrument more comprehensive and impose such limitations on myself.

- As sacrilegious as it sounds, throwing in a few non-Lunetta modules can bring your Lunetta modules to life, especially if you've not wired everything right up to the chip and don't fear sending non-square wave data into CMOS chips that expect to see square waves. Shocked

- Perhaps most importantly: I won't claim to "know" exactly what the tao of Lunetta is, since I wasn't there and I've only read about it on here (an internet forum), but like Richarius, I feel like embracing things that fall outside the normal boundaries of music is just as important as the actual instruments themselves. After all, even with a number of weird/cool/inspiring modules at hand, you can easily turn it all into a shitty 4/4 beat machine. No offense to shitty 4/4 beat machines intended. Hooking things up without a plan and dropping common musical cliches (ie using a single master clock) can yield interesting results that you'd never find any other way.

Thanks for a great post, Richarius. It's always nice to find someone else tuned in to the same sort of thoughts you're having... sort of confirmation that you've not totally lost the plot Smile
Richarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dk wrote:
It took me a while between reading this post and responding, but here we are...

>Ryk>snipped a great collection of common sense logic, as I sees these thingies Smile <Ryk<

Thanks for a great post, Richarius. It's always nice to find someone else tuned in to the same sort of thoughts you're having... sort of confirmation that you've not totally lost the plot Smile

Thank you dk! I had already a fair understanding of synthesizers in 1986 when I picked up a few wonderful mini-notebooks from Forrest M. Mimms III at Radio Shack here in Canada. (Was still existing under that name in the United States at that time as well. Home DIY parts supply as well as stereos; phones; all the house hold electronic knickknacks.)
I wanted something that was easy to put together, but that could give me some 'cool sounds' as well, just like synthesizers.

My overall attitude that was has developed over time, with a huge amount of credit to many people that I've typed with here at EM, since 2007.

I ain't no genius er nuffin' and for the life of me, can't stand practicing. Surprised I just like to "git 'er done!" asap a lot of the time. So - the Lunetta / DIY portion of building originally inspired by Stanley Lunetta, fit me perfectly. Smile

The more that I learned with help from others since 1992, the more that I was able to slap together for 'normal' modular synthesizers as well.

Of course - for me - marrying the two, was a requirement. As it has become again especially, since August of this year. I'm hugely shrinking down my mainly Euro machine; back to Lunetta'ish DIY / Serge, as a main machine.

For making fun sounds in a simpler way. (Serge fits in here, so wonderfully as well. The original early to mid 70's stuff.)

dk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
For making fun sounds in a simpler way. (Serge fits in here, so wonderfully as well. The original early to mid 70's stuff.)

Oh yes, Serge. Quite possibly the main reason why I have trouble not just hooking stuff straight to the chip, when there are at least a few cool things you can tack on to make everything multi-functional. I've spent hours drooling at stuff on Ken Stone's site, and keep trying to take inspiration from it when tacking "lunetta-esque" modules together.

On a broader note, Eurorack seems excellent for all the cool stuff people seem to be coming up with that fall outside the boundaries of traditional synthesis. I want to see if I can push those boundaries, though, without relying on a specially made tool that someone else came up with. Hence why I'm here (maybe why we're all here Smile )
Richarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dk wrote:
Quote:

Oh yes, Serge. Quite possibly the main reason why I have trouble not just hooking stuff straight to the chip, when there are at least a few cool things you can tack on to make everything multi-functional. I've spent hours drooling at stuff on Ken Stone's site, and keep trying to take inspiration from it when tacking "lunetta-esque" modules together.

On a broader note, Eurorack seems excellent for all the cool stuff people seem to be coming up with that fall outside the boundaries of traditional synthesis. I want to see if I can push those boundaries, though, without relying on a specially made tool that someone else came up with. Hence why I'm here (maybe why we're all here Smile )

Why we're here I believe, fits quite well. Out of all of the sites that I've been to since late 1991, EM is by far, the best for this purpose. (I miss the old rec.music.synths newsgroup from '91 / '92 'ish before the change to rec.music.makers.synths or something like that. Wonderful period. Also tho', I were a much much noobier noob then too, so ... lol. Very Happy )

A big part of my reason for coming back to Serge from Euro ... the early Serge. Simple, building blocks, to build new functions from. That, is the big fun that I missed. 3'ish years menu-diving in all of the super functionality in Euro but ... it's prolly old age but, when I was 12 years old and playing with these things in the music gear store called a ... 'mini ... moog' and a '2600' that I could plug things together ... pitch wandering gradually but ... the sounds!
All combined together ... Euro never brought me that, oddly.

I'm just about finished doing a quick and dirty PCB layout for a strongly stripped down Serge SSG, to a VCLFO format. I love the control range of the Smooth generator. So using that for VCLFOs as well as audio and S&H (having an extra LM3900 opamp still.)

Back to it. Smile

TekRa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been looking at lunettas for more than a year now. The creation process starts 2020.

Hope for all the help i can get Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: