electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2019/2020 BUILD PHOTOS
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice, and the housing ,seems totaly appropriate to me πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ»
Grumble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The secundary board for the drum sequencer (isn't 3D printing great πŸ˜‡πŸ‘πŸ»)
Top input resets the sequencer to first step, second connector Is the output of the clock, one pulse for every step.
Then a button for tap-tempo and a trigget input.
Below that a midi output connector with activity Led.
Next.... Software πŸ™ˆ

DSC_0191.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.84 MB
 Viewed:  294 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSC_0191.JPG

Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nintendo Wii Nunchuck Module
https://youtu.be/s3ADI7035gY

_20200420_091817.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.45 MB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)

_20200420_091817.JPG

Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reverb/Echo module inspired by the Favorite Reverb/Echo module as designed by Juanito Moore (on this forum known as Hashtag Octothorpe.
https://youtu.be/7xiZvJM4k3c

revd.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  405.17 KB
 Viewed:  312 Time(s)

revd.PNG

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

This one's been on the backburner for awhile. VCF from the MS-10, using the Korg35 circuit. The input has far too much gain on it at the moment -- it's very easy to swamp the filter entirely, so nothing gets filtered at all. But it does work nicely once the input level is set correctly!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

808 Snare circuit. Again, backburner... this one had a really embarassing mistake that caused it to be benched for a few years (a few, he says.) But now it works nicely.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice builds Smile
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi-hat module, both open and closed hat. The sound... is not amazing, but it is vaguely hi-hat-like.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great you caught that tricky resistor Alan , glad it works fine now , nice build Smile
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice builds grumble and alan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MapacheRaper

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic builds, guys!

Grumble, how itΒ΄s going the sequencer? Do you have a thread for it anywhere?
Grumble

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, not yet
Grumble

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

6 channel mono in/stereo out eurorack audio mixer with individual volume and pan control and mixed volume control.

_20200508_111152.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  124 Time(s)

_20200508_111152.JPG

Grumble

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Today I finished my drumkit. The sequencer needs some more programming.

http://youtu.be/hKxWkB8Dxms

05EE0582-1A3A-4568-8759-8454C90978DA.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.32 MB
 Viewed:  126 Time(s)

05EE0582-1A3A-4568-8759-8454C90978DA.jpeg

Grumble

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eeprom programmer for 28c512 eeprom (64k x 8bit)

kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a little drone synth I made. It is just a prototype now, but works quite well (but there are one or two little issues). There is a VCF included which is inspired by the Oberheim SEM VCF and it sounds pretty good. I added a little demo clip (sorry for the poor quality)...

droneA1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.61 MB
 Viewed:  121 Time(s)

droneA1.jpg

dronea2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  111 Time(s)

dronea2.jpg

dronea.mp4
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dronea.mp4
 Filesize:  40.64 MB
 Downloaded:  181 Time(s)

raccooneatingcacti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: My terrible DIY modules so far
Subject description: Please send perfboard design help
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have lots to learn... Elders of perfboard circuit design, bless me with your knowledge!(or a link to it)

I know these images will disturb most if not all of you... but sadly, this is my current definition of "success."

ar front.jpg
 Description:
two thomas henry 555 attack decay envelope generators, with a modification that allows the envelope to retrigger. then I got Ray Wilson's MAKE: synth diy book and it had a much more elegant solution.
 Filesize:  589.39 KB
 Viewed:  85 Time(s)

ar front.jpg

ar back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  727.47 KB
 Viewed:  104 Time(s)

ar back.jpg

bsco0.jpg
 Description:
Drum voices using the T network design. between the noise circuit for the hihat and the cd40106 cymbal circuit, the output is very noisy.
 Filesize:  745.04 KB
 Viewed:  104 Time(s)

bsco0.jpg

16TRIGseq.jpg
 Description:
4 channel 16 step trigger sequencer, made to trigger drums. Arduino, wrote the code myself, so I'm sure it's not very optimal. The potentiometer feeds an analog input on the arduino, which determines the step position. step position is displayed in binary
 Filesize:  703.33 KB
 Viewed:  98 Time(s)

16TRIGseq.jpg

16CVseq front.jpg
 Description:
First successful attempt at a CV step sequencer. two CD4051s with a binary counter, basically. the two knobs on the right scale the CV and apply an offset, respectively.
 Filesize:  811.16 KB
 Viewed:  97 Time(s)

16CVseq front.jpg

raccooneatingcacti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everyone's projects are looking great! So many ideas here, it really makes me want to step it up!
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: My terrible DIY modules so far

raccooneatingcacti wrote:
I have lots to learn... Elders of perfboard circuit design, bless me with your knowledge!(or a link to it)

I know these images will disturb most if not all of you... but sadly, this is my current definition of "success."

not disturbing at all and like the way you use those PCBs as frontpanel Very Happy
The wiring could use bit of tidying up but for the rest it's not bad at all.
Can't see the underside of the PCBs though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had/have some time of from work so did some soldering and build 5 new modules.
1x 4x4 Matrix mixer, my first SMD PCB design (can be expanded)
2x ICL8038 Dual function generator using a design by Thomas Henry
2x Bucket Rogers Delay with an MN3007 BBD chip (thanks for those Cfish!!)

Played around with them yesterday which turned out quite different than I was expecting.
You can find the video on twitch (for the next 14 days): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/733559035
and I will probably post the audio (starting from around 1:40:00) here on EM later.

4x4 MM, ICL8038 DFG, BRD.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  321.91 KB
 Viewed:  88 Time(s)

4x4 MM, ICL8038 DFG, BRD.jpg

4x4 Matrix Mixer - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.29 KB
 Viewed:  92 Time(s)

4x4 Matrix Mixer - 01.jpg

4x4 Matrix Mixer - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.83 KB
 Viewed:  95 Time(s)

4x4 Matrix Mixer - 02.jpg

ICL8038 DFG - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.13 KB
 Viewed:  90 Time(s)

ICL8038 DFG - 01.jpg

ICL8038 DFG - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.96 KB
 Viewed:  102 Time(s)

ICL8038 DFG - 02.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:45 am; edited 4 times in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: BBDBBDBBDBBDBBDBBDBBDBBD Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And the Bucket Roger Delay.
I didn't notice the opamps being upside down in the schematic, so I had to fix that afterwards by soldering directly to the opamp pins. Rolling Eyes .

Bucket Rogers Delay - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.64 KB
 Viewed:  92 Time(s)

Bucket Rogers Delay - 01.jpg

Bucket Rogers Delay - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.56 KB
 Viewed:  89 Time(s)

Bucket Rogers Delay - 02.jpg

Bucket Rogers Delay - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  210.15 KB
 Viewed:  79 Time(s)

Bucket Rogers Delay - 03.jpg

raccooneatingcacti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: My terrible DIY modules so far

Thanks, Phobos! I used an old printer PCB for the sequencer panel. I hadn't settled on using the Eurorack 3U standard at that point. I don't really recommend it, There was some pretty nasty dust in the cutting process.

The underside of the boards? but that's where all the shame hides! I can get some pictures later today, haha. And yes the wiring is very bad at this point... I always intend on shortening the wires after getting confirmation that the modules work, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I think using some standoff posts would be a huge improvement too.

I just finished a Thomas Henry VCF-1 perfboard yesterday. The first board I did all the components were crammed in super tight and every resistor was standing straight up. impossible to troubleshoot. Tried to save space and ruined a whole board! I've decided to lay things out and go really slow from this point on.
raccooneatingcacti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Phobos. Nice boards and panels! Is the solder mask opacity an aesthetic choice or does it serve a purpose? I've been wanting to get into PCB design but that seems like a whole new layer of troubleshooting. I've only done some very small boards by cutting traces out on a copper clad board with an exacto blade.

are there pictures of your complete system somewhere? I get the impression that it's massive.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Phobos. Nice boards and panels! Is the solder mask opacity an aesthetic choice or does it serve a purpose?

Not sure if you are referring to the effect the copper pour between the traces has which will make it a bit harder to see the traces on the photos,
or the actual solder mask. Solder mask is standard when ordering PCBs (I think it's more expensive without) it's useful when soldering especially
with SMD since it reduces the change of shorts between pads. If you look at the top right of the Matix Mixer PCB there's an opamp which has 2 pins
bridged with some solder. For some reason the 2 opamps on the right side both didn't work so I had to replace them. In doing so I lost some of the
soldermask between those pins, and since they are connected with a trace the solder happily stuck to it. I could have tried to remove it a bit but that
would have probably done more harm than good.

The color choice on the other hand is for aesthetic reasons:
The Matrix Mixer had to be green of course.
I choose blue for the function generator because of all the blue components, especially all the blue pots.
For the Bucket Rogers Delay I looked up some images of Buck Rogers and his ship and saw a lot of white/grey so I went with that.
Usually I don't use the white solder mask as the black silkscreen always seems of lesser quality, it also obscures the traces a lot
(maybe that's what you were referring too) and it looks a bit messy with the solder flux. But for this one I made an exception.

I still like using perfboard but that doesn't really work well with SMD and if you need a couple of boards (I have 4 BBD chips and
10 function generator chips) it's not only less tedious than using perf but actually cheaper.

Quote:
I've been wanting to get into PCB design but that seems like a whole new layer of troubleshooting. I've only done some very small boards by cutting traces out on a copper clad board with an exacto blade.

I've always been designing PCBs. initially I used to etch them myself but later switched to perf but for those I make a design too using an old free
version of SprintLayout. For these PCB designs I use the free version of Eagle and after watching 1 or 2 videos it wasn't too difficult to do but if you
start out I would recommend KiCAD or something else. The limitations of the free eagle version can be annoying and it now comes bundled with fusion
360 for which you need a subscription. A nice thing with eagle and I am pretty sure most PCB software, is that you can link the schematic and the PCB
so it will show you what to connect to another. You could even use an auto router but I've never made use of that myself, I enjoy the puzzle.

Quote:
are there pictures of your complete system somewhere? I get the impression that it's massive.

not a very recent one although it hasn't changed much but there is a nice one here.
A lot of things end up in boxes because I just don't have the space for it. But once in a while I pick something out to play with.
You could also check my youtube and twitch channels for some recent videos but they aren't very clear.

raccooneatingcacti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:

if you start out I would recommend KiCAD or something else.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give that a try. Any suggestions on where to have boards made?

Quote:
here

Looks awesome, looks like you could get lost for weeks in there. I'm hoping to fill two rows of 60 hp 3U tall, for starters.

I added pictures of the front and back of the Thomas Henry VCF that I finished the other day. I really took the extra time to lay the components and jumper wires out as clearly as I could. The wires going to the panel are still a little messy but it works.

ThomasHenry VCF front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  697.93 KB
 Viewed:  86 Time(s)

ThomasHenry VCF front.jpg

ThomasHenry VCF back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  900.05 KB
 Viewed:  94 Time(s)

ThomasHenry VCF back.jpg

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:

if you start out I would recommend KiCAD or something else.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give that a try. Any suggestions on where to have boards made?

I've been using AllPCB, a lot of folks I know recommend JLC PCB, there's a site called "pcbshopper.com" that lets you compare the commonly used fabs with the details you want for your designs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: