electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
bugs
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
airlock

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you do one that shows how to wire an Osc for note and gate from LFO, Seq, RNDSIGS, etc? It looks like any patch I try to access as a reference from the old 32bit version gives me a handful of access violation errors.

Access Violation.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.29 KB
 Viewed:  6285 Time(s)

Access Violation.png

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wiring does not matter, that just should not ever happen .. can I have a patch please causing such issues? I think I would not need the audio sources that go with it.
airlock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, color me clueless, I really am not sure how to wire these things! Razz

So, what I did as a check just now was open Wren, chose New, and open a random patch. It looks like any patch from the 32bit version will give me these errors, tho it seems not the error codes are not the same. (I'll double check that.)

Patch 2016-06-14-01 and 2017-01-01-01 return the following

2016-06-14-01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.47 KB
 Viewed:  6250 Time(s)

2016-06-14-01.png

airlock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then when I closed Wren, the following was sitting the in the middle of the desktop:

Closed.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.38 KB
 Viewed:  6249 Time(s)

Closed.png

airlock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Patch 2015-09-08-01 opened, but trying to start a new patch and then opening another crashed the program in a polite manner with no error dialog appearing.

Starting Wren again after THAT, it loaded 2015-09-08-01 again, so I started a new patch and then loaded my own patch created Saturday (on 64bit Wren) and it too came back with the same Access Violation as originally described.

The next restart loaded the last patch, I unloaded that patch (New) and then trying to quit Wren with no patch loaded returned another Access Violation with a different number.

Next restart revealed that my own patch name was in the title bar but there were no modules (blank edit area.) Loading my patch revealed that it was now a blank page. Ouch. My fault, I was a little careless on the last exit.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked into it, not seeing those issues here .. but, suspecting where the issue could be ... I've found a handful of small bugs that might cause this .. more info already on https://bluehell.nl/wren/#changes

I'll post a new version soon .. food first though

airlock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Recreated my lost patch, fiddled with it a bit and saved it. Started a New patch, Loaded and ran 2016-03-07-01, stopped it, hit New and got another Access Violation, tho the patch did clear to an empty edit screen. I just now noticed that hitting New does not clear the last patch name from the title bar. THAT might be a clue?

EDIT to add: loaded my patch Now What Laughing , hit New, title bar now shows a patch name that was last loaded on previous start.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you try https://bluehell.nl/wren/wren.exe please?

You can just copy this exe over your existing one .. I mean the existing one is no fun to use anyway ...

airlock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Wow, that updated exe made a difference. Every random old 32bit patch I tried works (!), and no access errors. This is huge, thank you Jan!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, thank you for pointing out the bug & testing the new one Cool

I'll make it an official release then.

[There is, and has ever been, a very weak point in Wren. In order to let data travel from outputs to inputs as fast as possible there are no checks being made to see if valid memory is being used in the process - I'll just have to make the lists specifying the locations correctly (and that is about 6000 items I think), or it may crash on accessing memory that 'is not there'.

And I should have done this long ago .. it is possible to run checks to see if such issues exist .. I finally made those checks .. checks that can run without actually making a patch, but are just creating module by module automatically .. and then see if there are inconsitencies in the way input/outputs are named and numbered.]

Anyway, sorry for the mess up Embarassed

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New release made, see: http://electro-music.com/forum/post-445766.html#445766
airlock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Anyway, sorry for the mess up Embarassed

No apology necessary Jan, thank you so much for making Wren available! As I mentioned before, I am not all that comfortable making bug reports, but you asked for it so there you go. Smile

This latest version is allowing my old i7 to run a lot more of the old patches, it looks like if the patch size is under 75kb or so it will work on this machine, and the CPU usage is down a bit across the board. Nice!

Your reference to the memory checks is a blast from the past for me: the old Amiga did not have memory protection so I would find myself in the wee hours running OctaMed (tracker program) right into the kind of spectacular looking crashes only ever seen on those old machines. Thanks for the trip down "memory' lane!
boaone

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Parameter typing from keyboard. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ran into a little problem with parameter changing with type from keyboard. Sometimes it didn't work randomly.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not all parameter editing works .. the params that have knobs mostly work not ...

Then for text that has to be entered .. when you move the mouse outside the text field the edits get cancelled .. not really handy that ...

Is it like that?

boaone

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With empty wren im loading first osc module then ctrl click to type 220.0 hz while hovering mouse pointer at number after that there is still 440.0 Hz and parameter become locked.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah that is a known bug, and not very easy to fix unfortunately ... you just have to use the knobs.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Discovered an issue with the recorder module, it, at times, may crash Wren - it is a bit random.

Ran into it while working on the poly version and seem to have fixed it there, but it may crash the current release version too.

Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Jump to: