electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Trillium waveshaper
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 673

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Trillium waveshaper
Subject description: window comparator based shaping
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After watching this video on how to make a window comparator with a single opamp
I messed around with the circuit a bit and turned it into a simple waveshaper.

I've only tested it with a triangle wave but you could use it with some other waveshapes (squarewave doesn't work of course).
note that the output signal is more rounded than drawn caused by the soft clipping of the zener diodes.

Trillium waveshaper.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.93 KB
 Viewed:  121 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Trillium waveshaper.gif

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and a demo

manual CV sweeping 0V..-5V..0V..+5V..0V
adding (triangle) modulation
increasing modulation frequency
changing oscillator frequency
(decreasing modulation to change to audio rate)
adding audio rate modulation
morphing modulation waveshape from triangle to square

PHOBoS - Trillium waveshaper demo.mp3
 Description:
PHOBoS - Trillium waveshaper demo

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Trillium waveshaper demo.mp3
 Filesize:  4.08 MB
 Downloaded:  134 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 262
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. boslelie .. bier ook .. cooledit was syntrillium ... it definitely has something with three as well .. nice idea, there was something with odd harmonics and up/downgoing pulses IIRC?

Edit: sounds nice too :-)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
... it definitely has something with three as well ..

yeah, I wanted something with tri in the name because of the 3 voltage levels so I looked up a list of words.
Almost chose triton but that was already taken by korg, so I settled for trillium which gave me some nice plant photos. flower

AlanP

Audio files: 40

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder... you mention soft clipping, would putting germanium diodes in series with the zeners have any effect?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
I wonder... you mention soft clipping, would putting germanium diodes in series with the zeners have any effect?

well if anything it would change the voltage at which it clips (assuming you are thinking of guitar pedals)
at least if you use it as a zener diode. In the other direction it functions pretty much like a standard silicon diode.
Actually now that I think about it, a single zener dode can be used for assymetrical clipping. I don't know in
what way it would change the characteristics though which I think is one of the reasons to use different kinds of
diodes like germanium (they can also look really nice). Are zener diodes actually used for clipping audio signals ?
I mean they could but the voltage is probably pretty high for standard audio levels.

note that I am not entirely sure if soft clipping is the correct term in this case. I just went with how the signal looks
on my scope which has very rounded edges compared to for example an opamp slamming against the supply.

gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

The Trillium Circuit reminded me of something i had in the simulation-storage.

And with phoBos permission Smile i post it here.

I have used the moment also to test the idea on my breadboard and it do work as simulated.

the basic circuit:

Fenster Komparator.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.24 KB
 Viewed:  88 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Fenster Komparator.png

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's very similar indeed Laughing

Looks like you used a somewhat more conventional approach which is closer to what I would have done too
if I wanted to design a circuit to create that waveshape without having seen the single opamp window comparator.
Note that I started with my design with the idea that you could make the waveshaper with only a single opamp, a bridge rectifier
and 3 resistors. That worked but then of course came the idea to add some CV control to it to make it more interesting.

I wanted to do some calculations to see how it works but decided to breadboard it and do some measurements instead
which confirmed a small 'problem' with it. I think it's mostly because my supply isn't completely symmertrical but I believe
that the output of a TL074 (which I tested with) isn't exactly symmetrical either. As a result the output also isn't symmetrical
but this can easily be fixed by adjusting the resistor values of the final summing amp.

Apart from that I can confirm that it works and does exactly the same thing as the Trillian circuit, nice! Very Happy

dk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Way cool! I have a waveshaper panel on hold, since I didn't know what to fill it up with yet... definitely going to try this!
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:

Maybe Geranium diodes Mr. Green

(Sorry, Dutch Joke)

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Jump to: