electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
questions on a 4040/4051 sequencer (inspired by muxlicer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
philomates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: questions on a 4040/4051 sequencer (inspired by muxlicer) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks, I'm new to circuit design and wanted to try to design a simplified version of the befaco muxlicer sequencer/multiplexer eurorack module based on a 4040 binary counter and some 4051 mulitplexers.

Background:
The idea would be to have a two 4051s sequenced by the 4040 such that one sends 1 of 8 (CV) ins to 1 out (all normal-ed to 5V and sent through attenuators so that when no CV ins are present it would be a normal 8 step sequencer), and the other 4051 takes one (gate) in, sending it to 1 of 8 outs. The reason for the 4051 taking one gate in to many is to allow for sending either a solid voltage to act as a normal gate signal or an LFO that could sort of mimic the muxlicer burst feature.

Additionally there would be a reset and clock inputs.

Questions:
1) I breadboarded a simple 4040 -> 4051 with the in channel taking a steady voltage that drives various LEDs in the out channels (sort of following http://milkcrate.com.au/_other/sea-moss/#seq). I then wanted to test resetting the sequence by connecting one of the outputs of the 4051 to the reset pin of the 4040. Strangely instead of resetting the 4040, it turns off the LED for that step. Does this have something to do with the reset needing to be high when the clock signal comes in? If so, does someone know of an example of a circuit of a sequencer where you can self patch one of the gate outs to the reset to make a shorter sequence?

2) I'm wondering if there is a way to skip a step in the sequence? Like wire up a switch on "step 4" such that when enabled the sequence would go from "step 3" -> "step 5"? I thought maybe patching the output of "step 4" to the clock of the 4040 so that it would quickly advance to the next step could potentially work, but I think that is a bit naive.

Anyways, wanted to say I'm really appreciating all the information in this forum as it is helping me dive into this new foreign land
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

resetting the 4040 with the output of the 4051 should work but what did you connect pin 3 of the 4051 to ?
Also does it reset correctly when you remove the LED for that output ?

yes, 'skipping' would be possible by sending an extra clk pulse. However you have to be sure that the actual clk signal
is low at that point and that's where things can get a bit complicated.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
philomates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the welcome Smile

PHOBoS wrote:
what did you connect pin 3 of the 4051 to ?

9V+, same as what is powering the chips. Would it be better to clean up the signal somehow or turn it into a trigger with some additional transistor circuitry?

PHOBoS wrote:
Also does it reset correctly when you remove the LED for that output ?

no Sad

PHOBoS wrote:

yes, 'skipping' would be possible by sending an extra clk pulse. However you have to be sure that the actual clk signal is low at that point and that's where things can get a bit complicated.

Is this related to something I've seen mention where skip switches are wired up to skip the next step due to some flaky double triggering (https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/post-3080721.html#p3080721). Do you know of an example of this? I can't figure out in my head how it would be wired up
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
9V+, same as what is powering the chips.

Ok that should work but I think the problem could be that the reset input is floating when the step at which you want to reset
the counter isn't selected. So try it with an extra resistor between the reset input and GND (10K..100K).

Quote:
Is this related to something I've seen mention where skip switches are wired up to skip the next step due to some flaky double triggering (https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/post-3080721.html#p3080721). Do you know of an example of this? I can't figure out in my head how it would be wired up

Not really but that's an interesting point though. I'll have to think about it if there is a way to make skipping work.
I did manage to do it with a baby 10 sequencer.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: