electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Redrawn Buchla 158A VCO schematic
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Redrawn Buchla 158A VCO schematic Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all! hope you are all fine

I made a redrawn of the Buchla 158A schematic, the original is hard to read.
It includes the extra transistor and resistor Mike Peake (ebolatone) indentified in actual 158 boards and some notes.

I don't have a web site, so I'm posting it here for the moment, so it's accesible to anyone.

I'm finishing a pcb for it too, with a couple additions, but that's a different affaire.

Greetings and hugs for all!

Buchla_158A_redrawn.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Buchla_158A_redrawn.pdf
 Filesize:  137.15 KB
 Downloaded:  213 Time(s)

Last edited by Fernando on Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:39 am; edited 7 times in total
Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A couple of key links with previous work:

http://ebolatone.blogspot.com/2012/12/buchla-158a-pcb-build.html

https://modularsynthesis.com/buchla/158d/glm_158d.htm

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One remark:
R4 with the label Fmax, if that is a potentiometer, it is good practice to connect the wiper to the pin that is not connected right now (pin 1 in your drawing).
The reason for this is that when your pots get a little older and starts to wear you always have at least the max impedance of the potentiometer (1k in this case) between the connections and not infinit impedance.

Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you! they are all trimmers (pots are in wiring page)
The one with one pin unconnected is as in original schematic

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting. How dependant is this circuit on specific transistors? (I've built the 258 VCO before, and it is really, really dependant on selection of the sine waveshaping FET.)
Fernando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
Interesting. How dependant is this circuit on specific transistors? (I've built the 258 VCO before, and it is really, really dependant on selection of the sine waveshaping FET.)

Just read the two links I posted and notes on the schematic. It's not Raiders of the Lost Ark kinda mission :D

For Q15 (N channel JFET) it is important to select one with Idss 0.5mA, as schematic specifies (258 need it in the range 0.8-1.1mA).
It's goal is to saturate the incoming triangle wave to form the sine wave (same as in Buchla 258, EN76 VCO and many others)
I found many usable candidates (.5) among 80s 90s J201, but I find that more recent J201 start at higher Idss, .9 or so (good for 258)
I also found many at .5mA within 2SK118, which is easy to find. Look for range "R" (= Idss 0.3-0.75).
I don't have any J204 or 2N4338, but they should provide specimens at 0.5, since specs say 0.2mA minimum (note that if you get a FET with specified min Idss 0.5, it will be pretty difficult to find some at 0.5! You better try with those spec. at min. Idss 0.2-0.3)
Mike Peake found some 2N4339 within range, but there should be more chances with 4338.
That's why I suggest J201, 2SK118, J204, 2N4338 on the notes, but there are many other candidates.
The $12 chinese transistor testers are great (key maybe) for this, a must-have tool!

For Q7 (P channel JFET) I'm not sure what spec and range are key, but both 2N5020 and 2N5460 work well (2607, 2608 and 5033 should work too).
Mike Peake had success with 5020 ($12-14), Pre55ure had success with 5460 ($0.50)

For the rest of transistors (pairs and singles) 2N3904/06, BC550/560, etc. are fine I you don't have 2N4916 and 2N3565.
You can use Ian Fritz transistor matcher circuit for pairs.
Or you can just use transistors of the same batch and they will, very probably, be much better matched than the original, since MD708B (Q1-Q2) is a dual NPN with pretty poor matching specs anyway (10mV IIRC)
With Ian's circuit one can match them down to 50uV without effort. By using same batch pairs I guess they'll be within 1mV or so.
Again, see Peake's blog.

Last edited by Fernando on Wed May 11, 2022 10:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2N5460, definitely.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sharing this ,i've built over 10 x 258 VCO's from a layout that is available here on forum and the last 2 times i couldn't get it to work ,and gave up ,and now it's me without a proper Buchla VCO ,this should do very nice ,i will share a PCB layout for this if it's ok ,thanks a lot
cheers

Fernando

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this layout is already done
I posted it in case people want some pcbs (I posted my pcb design on another thread. It is the original circuit intact plus a CV mixer and an output amp)
But of course, do what you wish
In any case it's nice to have a clear schematic now : )

Fernando

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not the last version I have, but it's illustrative (10x10cm pcb) :

PM if interested

158A_top.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  359.79 KB
 Viewed:  70 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

158A_top.png

158A_bott.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  299.26 KB
 Viewed:  74 Time(s)

158A_bott.png

vladosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great ,i was gonna try single sided but then i couldn't resist ,here's mine .. still need to recheck it few more times before printing ,thanks again for sharing this redrawn version ,i assume all is correct in the schematic ,buchla stuff is so hard to find ,i was just looking at that 257 processor and someone has told me that the schematic is correct but it's still not all that clear ..synth is a never ending

BUCHLA 158.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  797.11 KB
 Viewed:  71 Time(s)

BUCHLA 158.JPG

Fernando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent!

Just to clarify: my pcb lets you choose between the original power scheme of +15V direct to 3 transistors and the rest of the circuit thru R53 and C9 (as I understand you did) and a modern power scheme (power in to ferrite beads and 10uF)

Additionally, my pcb let you choose between original freq control INT/EXT and a modern CV mixer that lets you have both the freq pot and as many inputs you want, all with bipolar attenuators.

Also my pcb have an output amp to adapt the original 1V RMS (2.83Vpp) to 5Vpp, 10Vpp or what you like.

I did all film caps with multi-size footprints and FETs (Q7, Q15) with a footprint that let you use many different devices.

I did a 100x100mm pcb so it can be used in small systems (Eurorack) or larger systems (Serge, Buchla, MOTM, etc). Thru plated holes, etc., very good quality

vladosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i was just excited to see a well documented buchla module ,to be honest i am not so certain that i will build it ,tho i want to ,i hope i will ,about those add ons and mods ..you are right it's prolly better way to fit into modular ,i should maybe make some high gain amps to boost the signal if it's quiet ..in the end i will be so happy if it works ,maybe to add that 156 processor ,anyway ,i believe there might be some negative voltage here and there in my modular ,i wonder how this VCO behaves on negative voltage ,it's descrete i guess it won't do any harm ..even so ..it is still worth building ,thanks
Fernando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

of course it worths! it is a lovely discrete VCO!!! :D

vladosh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i fixed it up a bit and shared on my blog ,i hope it's ok ,also did a layout for Buchla 106 https://synthacks.blogspot.com/2022/11/buchla-158.html , i wonder if i ever get to building this stuff .. more then 10yrs of building synths so often it is hard to sit down and do some soldering ,i wish i could get some window size Modcan and clean up my room

BUCHLA106-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  383.11 KB
 Viewed:  73 Time(s)

BUCHLA106-2.JPG

BUCHLA 158-1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  817.53 KB
 Viewed:  73 Time(s)

BUCHLA 158-1.JPG

Fernando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice!

vladosh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i so want to make some other buchla layout but not knowing what schematic is correct ..is hard .
vladosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

made a new version layout for this oscillator as the first one was bit all over the place

BUCHLA 158 CORRECT V2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  667.37 KB
 Viewed:  74 Time(s)

BUCHLA 158 CORRECT V2.JPG

Fernando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool

vladosh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is how i plan to fit 2 x 158 on a panel ,there is also 194 ,106 and LPG ,wonder if i want to make 265 or souce from unce instead of that bezier digital thing

STONE CORNER - n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.05 MB
 Viewed:  84 Time(s)

STONE CORNER - n.jpg

Fernando

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice! Sauce of Uncle is a good option IMHO

vladosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What transitor testers are you using folks ? J-Fets have been an issue since i got some fakes yrs ago and i can't always order from trusted sellers . I just received a tester from Ali , but when i plug in a P Channel Fet it says it's an NPN ,now there are some other measurements there but it does not identify it's pins ,the J112 or 201 is measured like resistor ,some 50 ohms or so ,not sure what it means ,anyone ?
Thanks

Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the usual China-made clone of the originally open source ATMEGA project. It costs around $12 and it's fantastic.

I also have a Meterman 37XR, which can measure capacitance and inductance in addition to the usual readings.

There is always a problem with JFETs with high Idss (let's say >20mA). Transistor tester says it is an UJT or whatever. For those few you need to test them in a real circuit. I think I have a couple of test circuits diagrams, I'll post them if I find them.

I have some 2N4339 in TO-18, Idss specs are 0.5-1.5mA, readings are 10 to 30mA. In this case I suspect they may be fakes, for instance. But you can't never be sure with FETs! So it's better to test them on a real circuit.
But 2N4856 Idss specs are 50mA minimum. I accept the tester gets confused with this one.
Maybe this happens because this testers supply only 6mA for most readings.

----> Anyway this topic deserves it's own thread. Open a new thread?

Last edited by Fernando on Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

right now I only find this one (see attachment)

But this simpler one may be more practical:
http://www.hawestv.com/amp_projects/design_page/idss_tester_and_tutorial.htm

I also found this:
https://stompville.co.uk/?p=665
https://stompville.co.uk/?p=112
https://stompville.co.uk/?p=601

JFET_Jig1.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  JFET_Jig1.pdf
 Filesize:  10.62 KB
 Downloaded:  77 Time(s)

Last edited by Fernando on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
vladosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't know maybe there is obvious way to understand , maybe when i plug in a J112 and it says pin1 and pin2 are resistor of 50ohms ,maybe pin1 and pin2 are source and gate ,and there is some formula to calculate everything from say 56.71 ohms but i never really cared about math to be honest,i was expecting to plug in a jfet (and i tried good transistors) and it shows me what is source ,gate and drain ,and something to understand what rating is the transistor ..guess it's not that simple for 12$ ..it's not about the money ,it's just that it's sort of useless to me now ,i'll just be careful where i buy the transistors and maybe i dunno build my own tester
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: