electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Trade a G2 for a Poly Evolver?
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Acidfever

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Trade a G2 for a Poly Evolver?
Subject description: Would this be a wise choise?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

As some of you might know i own 2 Clavia G2 engines.

I recently found out someone wanted to trade his DSI Poly Evolver Rack for a G2 Engine with a small amount of extra cash.

Would any of you consider this a wise decision? I must say i do love the 1.4 OS/Editor thing....it really adds value to the G2 platform. I do however hardly use 2 G2's at once to be honest. I own a decent collection of other synths so i just never get to use the second G2 much.

I do like the Evolver though.....the sounds are amazing and in a totally different spectrum the G2 mostly offers. I just don't wn to make the mistake of making a trade i get to regret........
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trade a G2 for a Poly Evolver?
Subject description: Would this be a wise choise?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:
Hi,
I do however hardly use 2 G2's at once to be honest. I own a decent collection of other synths so i just never get to use the second G2 much.

If you hardly use them at once I would go for the PER.
I think the smooth G2 sound and the raw evolver sound complement eachother very well.
You'll get some nice goodies aswell that are missing in the G2, wavetables for example, analog oscillators & filters, and you also have a patch mutator for the evolver, not as good as the clavia one though...)
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think in the same position I would go for the evolver.. I've been thinking recently how I'd like a second G2.. but eventually came to the conclusion that i'd rather just have a different synth with lots of midi control which I could use the G2 to mutilate Smile The Evolver is definitely one of the good options I think.
Acidfever

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea i think i might just check the Evolver out.

I will definately keep 1 G2 because i absolutely love it. I have never had any problems with the DSP power so far and think i might just be able to handle things without a 2nd G2.

The only real scenario i can think of right now is 1 G2 running a heavy synth patch while the other one does some sort of audio processing with it's inputs.

But that's really all i can think of at the moment.
TheRain

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey man, I actually sold a PEK and bought a G2 with the cash. I actually find the G2 to be much more flexible and enjoyable to use... but there are many amazing sounds the Poly Evolver can do quite easily that I have not heard emulated on the G2. Especially those sounds using the digital waves on the Evo have not been reached on the G2. I really hope to see someone find a way to make a good digital wave table emulation, with whatever method they can... even if it is like a huge bank of additive oscilators that is switched through or something Wink
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try running the control sequencer at audio rates...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheRain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yah, I have played with this some... but it's still not matching the types of sound I'm looking for.
TheRain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually... i know i'm sort of stealing the thread here... but can someone give me tip on how to chain two sequencers to make a 32 step sequencer? Maybe that would give me more variety in wave shapes and so it would sound better.
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

32 steps: Turn the loop mode off on the sequencers.. then use the link output of the first one to reset the second one.. and then the link output of the second one to reset the first one.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

run the control sequencer at audio rates and put a glide module after it with just a little glide, like 2.4 ms.
TheRain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys... I knew there had to be a trick to doin it...

about that glide module... never used it before... looks really interesting and useful for this type of thing.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is how to chain two controlseq modules. They only respond to 0-64 value range so the level add module allows the two to operate alternately.
A triangle wave gives a symmetric wave or you could use a saw.

Variation 1 shows the leds motion, variation 2 makes a sound.

If you are really keen, you could multiplex 8 sets driven by the same oscillator, then also switch 8 variations with cc70 to give 64 wave sweeps.
Take a while to setup all the waves though. Anyone seen pictures of ppg or VS wave samples?

chainctrlseq.pch2
 Description:
chain 2 ctrlseq

Download
 Filename:  chainctrlseq.pch2
 Filesize:  1.65 KB
 Downloaded:  1417 Time(s)

cebec

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aha, the level add was what i was looking for. i was trying a level converter set to output unipolar positive between the osc and the ctrl. seq.

also, using xfade instead of a glide module can have a similar effect to LP filtering the waveform and reduces the crunchiness.

heh, and tweaking the level add knob sounds quite cool!
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is the 8 copies multiplexed, sounding a bit wavetable-ish. Not sure how much value you would get by also sequencing the variations. Setting the waves to something other than random would be a good improvement.

The shpexp in the top row allows another dimension of modulation by making the table reading non linear.

chainctrlseq2.pch2
 Description:
8*last patch, sequenced and filtered

Download
 Filename:  chainctrlseq2.pch2
 Filesize:  6.48 KB
 Downloaded:  1405 Time(s)

Acidfever

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well i wanted to report i did trade a G2 for a poly evolver.

I am keeping 1 G2 though.....no questions there. I just figured that i could just as easily trade the Evolver for something else if i didn't like it.

I do like it however. It goes places where a G2 has a hard time....and layered they sound great.

Think this might just be a very nice combo.
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:

Think this might just be a very nice combo.

It certainly is!
You have an SPS1 aswell, right? That's even a better combo Smile

misty.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Is the Poly Evolver basically 4 evolvers, so you get 4 note poly?

Cheers

Andy
cebec

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

quick answer from someone who doesn't own one: yes, it's basically four mono evolvers in one.
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: