electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Creating a powerfull "banging" bass drum
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
onyx888

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:  Creating a powerfull "banging" bass drum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I am a newbie in the marvelous world of electronic music composition. I’m currently gently discovering the basic joy of playing with compressor and eq to obtain several kinds of effects.

Now I really would like to design a very powerfull “banging” bass drum like used in the track called “Empty State (feat. Mic Burns)” by Armin Van Buuren. You know, this sounds like a very boosted and compressed 808 bass drum mixed with a regular bass drum resulting in a sort “woooooooosh” effect.

Please, follow this link to download a mp3 sample of what I mean : http://onyx.t35.com/mp3/sample.mp3 (22 kb)

So I tried to experiment equalization and compression but didn’t succeed in obtaining a really powerful bass drum.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Are there refills which offer this kind of bass drums?
2) How to design this kind of bass drums beginning with a basic drum kit?

In advance I thank you for your kind help.

sample.mp3
 Description:
Mp3 sample of what I mean.

Download
 Filename:  sample.mp3
 Filesize:  22.65 KB
 Downloaded:  854 Time(s)

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for that kick sound...start with a sample of a 909 kik drum, as i would bet that is what that is

then experiment with dynamic processors and eq's...a hard attack and short decay...and eq in the not-too-low end of things like 90-100hz..

hard comp/limiting [i.e. high ratio's] to bring up the 'snap/thud' part of the 909 kik attack

but start with a 909 kick sample to get a good start and the use Redrum's envelopes to sort out the other bits

btw..not sure about Reason 3, but the EQ's in that tend to be....not great..maybe try another plug in situation

Gregg Hermetech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

metalbox 8008 kick drum module:

http://darkflame.hermetech.net/Musick/8008Kicks.wav

analogue replica of the original 808 kick with enhanced controls, modern components, and modular output level Very Happy
richie_dionysus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its all in the layering and resampling.
Vitaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try this. I did it ages ago in some freeware. It is pretty aggressive, be careful
Laughing

VitaKick30.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  VitaKick30.wav
 Filesize:  21.58 KB
 Downloaded:  1047 Time(s)

FLechdrop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You want a lot of bass? Indeed, layering is the key.

nieuwe kick heel veel meer bas filtered 1.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  nieuwe kick heel veel meer bas filtered 1.wav
 Filesize:  185.64 KB
 Downloaded:  1393 Time(s)

bigtex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try using Stomper:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap/

...oh darn. The site is down. If I can find a copy of the .zip file on my drive, I'll upload it. Stomper is a great little one-off drum synth program. You can stack oscillators and make some wicked bass drum sounds (as well as any other kind of percussive sound you can imagine).
bigtex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a link that seems to be up:
ftp://ftp.ware.ru/win/stomper5.exe

Stomper is much fun.
atriplex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that link to Stomper - I think it was about the first program I ever used on the PC to make music, except maybe for FastTrakker. I'd forgotten all about it!
Slumbertone:http://slumbertone.awardspace.com/ - Music for Sleeping
phasercs101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One trick I use if you have hardware or soft synths is setup your drum machine with a kick drum sample. Next to really get some BOOOOM going...like good house music or hip hop loop you will need another synth. Set the synths oscillators to a low frequency 60 Hz to 80 Hz. Make the attack really quick and the decay real long, the sustain real short and the release medium. Next make the sure the key board track for the synth is off (so that no matter wait midi note it will receive it will play the same frequency) All these settings will mimic a bass drums behavior. Next have the drum machine attached to the synth, where when the bass drum is triggered the synth will also trigger. (use CV or midi). This reinforces the bass drum for a larger than life bass drum. I have attached a sample reason file to look over. Sorry you can only view it using reason 3.0. Enjoy

drum example.rns.zip
 Description:
Drum example

Download
 Filename:  drum example.rns.zip
 Filesize:  100.37 KB
 Downloaded:  479 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing