electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Compressor with hardknee DIY
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Compressor with hardknee DIY
Subject description: with testcircuit & simple graphic readout in editor
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Compressors are simple things, but it took me quite a while to patch one up that had the correct gain adjustment algo to make a simple hardknee compressor. I think I have it now Cool

It has the same functionality (in mono) as the stock compressor module, but in this case the envelope follower can be adjusted as well to the musical material that is being compressed, to optimise for quick response or stability on low frequency signals.

I'll be trying to patch in some other knees than just hardknee, and report back if it works. Any contributions or suggestions are welcome of course. The patch uses the divide circuit from Michael Estlick that Jan translated to the G2.

CompressorDIYhardknee.pch2
 Description:
DIY hardknee compressor with monitoring circuitry patched in. Coloured modules are the actual building block. Bright red modules contain usual compressor adjustment controls.

Download
 Filename:  CompressorDIYhardknee.pch2
 Filesize:  2.38 KB
 Downloaded:  1373 Time(s)

Fozzie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First attempt at soft (in the) knees: turn the soft -> hard knob counterclockwise to get instant softness. Not a perfect solution, but it appears to work. The knee setting also affects the rest of the compression a bit, but I can't come up with something better now.

CompressorDIYsoftkneeII.pch2
 Description:
DIY compressor with soft knee attempt

Download
 Filename:  CompressorDIYsoftkneeII.pch2
 Filesize:  3.03 KB
 Downloaded:  1346 Time(s)

Fozzie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In this new patch, I have included 4 different choices of envelope followers for experimental purposes. The 4-switch operates the choice of envelope follower that operates the hardknee compressor.

The ConstantFallRise env follower compares the env value to the current value. If the current signal is higher, the env value is increased with a fixed value (turn attack knob to change value; decrease in value = increase in attacktime!). The same idea if the current value is lower than the envelope value, with a separate decay knob.

The Peak detecting env follower gets updated to the current value of the input signal if the signal is higher than the env. Afterwards, it decays with a fixed value, the same as the previous one.

Then there is the standard env follow module with familiar attack and decay knobs. Nothing to add.

The 4th one is a combination of the peak-catching env follower and the standard module; the env signal that has the highest value is chosen. There is an optional peak-signal-gain control to attenuate the peak signal with a fixed factor.

The purpose of this patch is not to make the best envelope follower, but to try and make compressors with their different character.

There are a number of env follow options that I have not patched up (yet; I might include them later): the use of a simple 6db lowpass filter (cutoff range 10-100 Herz-ish), the use of the glide module as an integrator (needs proper scaling to work) and the use of a Hilbert transform filter (see also Hilbert FIR filter topic).

Edit: included a LP envfollower and a glide-based one (turned out the scaling is done in the module, which is very logical of course). Replaced the original patch for the more elaborate one.

CompressorEnvChoice2.pch2
 Description:
Compressorpatch with 6 different envelope following flavors for compressor character

Download
 Filename:  CompressorEnvChoice2.pch2
 Filesize:  2.83 KB
 Downloaded:  1245 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: