electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
a question about "one window chucK"
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: a question about "one window chucK" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going through the manual and learning chucK.

The two-window chuck with all the sporking is great (although i don't think my mom would like me using words like "spork" in public Laughing ). When i hit page 16, and am trying to shred in one window chuck, i'm supposed to type >chuck --loop & which should start chuck running and get my command line back, i don't get a command line back in windows xp. it just sits there without giving me my command line back like the second window in two-window chucK. Is this a bug? Or does something else work besides the & in windows xp terminal? any ideas? not that it matters, since i find two window chucK to be more logical and easier to keep track of. Any ideas appreciated. -- brian

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You may be right; I didn't ever get my comand line back either. This might be a WinXP syntax issue? This should probably in the manual, perhaps there is some XP wizzard here that knows the corect syntax?

Personally I wouldn't recomend using just one window for ChucKing unless you are just going to run one finished program. I tend to use two windows; I have links in my start menu to two copies of the prompt each with a different colour setting to avoid confusion. They get opened covering the whole schreen width but are only a few lines high; The third window covering the rest of the schreen is my text editor and I alt-tab between them. For me that works very well.

Mies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, it's normal. The '&' indicates to the Unix shell that the command is to be executed in the background. OSX is based upon Unix but XP is not; unless you use 3rd-party software such as Cygwin this behavious cannot be replicated w/in an XP prompt window.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: a question about "one window chucK" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

majutsu wrote:
I'm going through the manual and learning chucK.

The two-window chuck with all the sporking is great (although i don't think my mom would like me using words like "spork" in public Laughing ).

Well, you can tell your mum you are only sporking because it gets you child-processes!

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mies wrote:
No, it's normal. The '&' indicates to the Unix shell that the command is to be executed in the background. OSX is based upon Unix but XP is not; unless you use 3rd-party software such as Cygwin this behavious cannot be replicated w/in an XP prompt window.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I think the manual could use a not on that to avoid further confusion and disapointment. i already send a mail about this.

majutsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool mies. thanks for clearing that up!

thanks too kassen as always.

two questions kassen. how do you make shortcuts to command line? i don't know this? it's probably a noob question, but let me know.

also kassen, what is your text editor. I'm using notepad for now, which works, but i'm sure it sucks. what are you using?

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Under Windows the comand line is a program like any other so shortcuts to it can be stored in the start menu using the "edit start menu" thingy. I can look up the exact buttons to push in what order if need be (my XP laptop isn't on at the moment)

For editing I use a old version of textpad;
http://textpad.com/

Any editor for plain text files should do but line numbers are almost essential to have at the very least. For simple quick editing I sometimes simply type "edit" at the prompt and use the build in dos one but for more complex stuff that one is often a bit out of it's league.

majutsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Any editor for plain text files should do but line numbers are almost essential to have at the very least.

+1

majutsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great article on command line shortcuts for beginners, step by step

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/ballew_commandline.mspx

it's very easy to make a shortcut in xp. start-programs-accessories-command line, right-click - pin to start menu

Smile

look ma, no words.

also, you can change the start path, if you right-click and properties, so you don't always have to change directories to get to chuck. you can also change color, font, and command prompt for the aesthetically minded.

majutsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i decided to use the following code editor (PSPad) because it's free unlike textpad, but otherwise has lots of functions. Here's the link for those lacking an adequate code editor, like me.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spad.html

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Type "edit" at a command prompt, a not too bad no frills editor thingy will show up. No line numbers, but it will show the cursor pos.
jesusgollonet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: a good editor for chuck Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi all. first message here.

Concerning code editors, i'm using jedit and totally love it (it's free, multi-platform and extremely configurable via plugins, macros...). I totally recommend it.

Among some other nice things, you have a console plugin which gives you access to the command-line from within jedit, so you can chuck files without leaving the interface

I've made an edit mode (a syntax coloring scheme) for chuck. You can grab it (with instructions) from

http://www.jesusgollonet.com/blog/?p=135

also i am working (ok, by now just trying to figure out) on some more features for chuck in jedit.

any questions, thoughts... are welcome.

btw, great forum.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome jesusgollone and thanks for that jedit link. Currently I'm using a very old version of a commercial product (visual slick edit), but found upgrading too expensice. At first sight jedit seems to be a nice upgrade for me, going to check it out.
kruhft

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: emacs
Subject description: a great editor for chuck
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll just pipe in with my 2 cents and say that the best editor for programming *anything* would be emacs, since it's designed from the ground up to be a programmers text editor (and operating system, but you won't learn that for the first couple years of using it). It's totally free (written initially by Richard Stallman, the initiator of the GNU project), has ports to every OS imaginable (including Windows, as it looks like many of you are using), and you can get chuck-mode.el, which makes for handy syntax-highlighted code editing along with other nifty features.

It's got a bit of a learning curve, but once you get over it, you'll find that if you're seriously going to get into programming, it's worth the time.

Of course, there's always vi as well, but I won't get into that argument...I use emacs.

--
kruhft
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use Vim - free, multi-platform, etc.

It's the standard included text editor in Unix/Linux. I wonder, has anyone made a vim syntax file for ChucK?

EDIT: Found this myself... Works great. https://lists.cs.princeton.edu/pipermail/chuck-users/2005-October/000047.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like nano, nano has no things I dislike or don't understand. Very Happy
kruhft

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course, I forgot to mention, that ed is the standard text editor for real programmers ;-D

Torturous to use, but actually good experience to teach you about tools like regular expressions and sed. I wrote a few programs in it just for kicks some time back...

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This will date me, but my when I first started using Unix, ed was the only editor. Rolling Eyes bigsmurf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc, I still hope you'll write more about the early days.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I want to finish that Electric Symphony Orchestra thread.
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: