electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
What's Robert been up to....
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: What's Robert been up to....
Subject description: certainly a disturbing novella of obsession, pain, grief
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pardon the self important title,but since i wanted to band together a few items it seemed appropriate.

I very much empathise with Mr.Stites sadness over parts wastage from his SuperKlee thread,but his project production rate is miraclous.Being an improvising musician,i've found electronics difficult.The research,design,mechanical setup and soldering is easy enough for me,but when it doesn't work as expected,it reminds me of sight-reading.Patience is not a talent i have shedloads of!

So my venture in a cmos pulse programmer soon floundered.Spikes galore,i wish you luck with the SuperKlee!
But as a consulation i posted the pink led demostration into Matrixsynth.Tom Bug these are at Rapid now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMrlp9J4kDQ
The leds are running off a 4520 with a 4067,but that's kinda immaterial now! Smile

But things move on,and i found that really i been led through the pulse programmer garden path to see that a fixed physical programmer was probably not what i was looking for.I've graduated onto using Synthedit,a sort of sub-reaktor,to set up timing and tuning programming.Liking comparators and random CV but not keen on keyboards or graphic midi editing,i'm looking at this combination of tear it down software midi programming firing through a midi-cv converter to play my modular.

More successful than the programmer was my recent adaption of the Klee to use 4015s instead of 4006.I didn't use any gate outputs but built two Klees for CV control using the one chip.Schematic wise it is identical to the Klee but with 3904 transistors in emitter follower mode after the 4015 (100k to earth resistors to reference the base)which buffer the clay pots.See photo.(Yes that is minty,not camera hue!)

Actually nearing completion on this modular,but i'm not going to release too many details until i have the music from it up.Suffice to say being english,it is of course in a suitcase Smile

Robert
[/img]

pict1325.jpg
 Description:
i'll be rebrushing those aluminium knobs soon...
 Filesize:  274.07 KB
 Viewed:  479 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

pict1325.jpg

piedwagtail

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those noizy folk,who are primarily using gates.........

Robert
(camera hue untrue)

pict1326.jpg
 Description:
A different tint to the harmonics and extremely repeatable.
 Filesize:  267.85 KB
 Viewed:  511 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

pict1326.jpg

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see you back, Robert - I'd noticed your conspicuous absence. Looking pretty good there.

Cheers,
Scott
piedwagtail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's any early sample from last year,'InstantAgon' after the Stravinsky ballet.
The tuning is roughly19-tones per octave,not 12.(the cv was accurate but the later scrapped oscillators were not so aligned)
Thirds and sixths are very pure,but the fifths are non-resolving,hence the chromatic floating quality.
But,hell,when a young parisenne-armenian girl told me it was 'very electroacoustic' i was most pleased seeing as it was entirely synthetic.
Please excuse my poor keyboard skills in the middle there,just improvised one take,all singlenote monophonic.

perhaps you can understand why i had problems with the pulse programmer.....
Robert

instanta.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  instanta.mp3
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Downloaded:  1131 Time(s)

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Robert,

I find the sample to be quite compelling. I'm also interested in the aborted pulse programmer project you speak of - any more details? If it was spiky, you might just be on the cusp of a good way of cancelling out the spikes you don't want.

Take care,
Scott
piedwagtail

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I find the sample to be quite compelling

Scott,that's very er......english literature review Very Happy

Quote:
Now your virus is an obligate cellular parasite, and my contention is that what we call evil is quite literally a virus parasite occupying a certain area which we may term the RIGHT centre. The mark of a basic shit is that he has to be right. And right here we must make a diagnostic distinction between a hard-core virus-occupied shit and a plain ordinary no-good son of a Bitch.

Phew,felt we needed some W.Burroughs...Place of the Dead Roads to ,ahem,counterbalance that...

The pulse programmer was a patch bay of a clock,with 8 division on the Catgirl pulse divider 4017 schematic and a Seku based 4520 counter running gates out of a 4067.

The problem centred around the 4520,which seemed to be especially pinickety.Mostly it ran reasonably then suddenly just went into random patterns.I experimented with small nF poly caps into the clock input to filter,

Have to say i'm fine with synthedit now,it's very efficient for constructing machines of lfos,comparators and so forth,which it effectively translates into midi.I wouldn't have been able to easily implement that with cmos.The sound of Synthedit is comparable with the Nord modular,which is to say despicable Wink

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: