electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Max/Msp: What is the best way to prepare to learn this
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
eagertoknow

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Max/Msp: What is the best way to prepare to learn this
Subject description: Computer programming, math, extensive engineering courses
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm befuddled trying to crack into the know how of MAX/MSP. Does anyone have suggestions as to what is best needed before trying to crack into it.
With Tassman I didn't have too much of a problem understanding it, but with MAX I am intimidated and know I am missing some basic training in something. Algorithms maybe? which I don't understand either.

Any advice is greatly appreciated by those who have cracked into the MAX/MSP mystery.
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would pick a list of simple projects--like a basic subtractive synth. Start with an oscillator, then add the envelope, filter, lfo, maybe midi control. Just start simple and keep adding. Maybe you try to copy an existing architecture, so you're not focused on the algorythmn, but learning the "language" of MAX?

That is my approach with Pd. I can't take credit though, it's pretty much how I've learned every language I know (English, C, Verilog, Scheme, etc, etc). Ok, I didn't learn English by building a subtractive synth, but I may have sounded like one during the process Very Happy Shocked
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the fundamental questions to answer are:
arrow why I want to learn Max/MSP?
arrow what I expect to accomplish with it?
arrow is it the right tool for me?
this application is a tough nut to crack if you don't know where to start.
moving this topic to the Max/MSP forum - Seraph

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
eagertoknow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: seems to be best with computer programming Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This MAX/MSP forum has been helpful to read others posts. I liked Seraphs reply to an earlier post that it took a few computer programming classes to crack into MAX.

I am enrolled in Advanced Electronic Music course and feel it is way over my head. I haven't taken the required Computer class prior to this class yet and I had an inkling that is what I need. My computer knowledge is not that great. The teacher is a great one but it may still be too overwhelming for me to tackle without better background. We've gone through so much material in the last 2 quarters I've hardly been able to experiment with all the Logic sequencers, samplers, Pro Tools, etc. These classes moved way too fast for me on the 10 week quarter system.

It'd be so nice if I could just find a producer to work with now and give this overwhelming endeavor to produce myself a rest.

I'm getting in way over my head for a re-entry student in her 40's who's been isolated ill for 15 years prior, ie.no computer access. Whew.
Alexander

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After you memorized all the tutorials/topics and reference manuals, get witth the mailing list for even deeper exploration. That way you should get there.. some java knowledge or a c course won't hurt.
danpiedone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think you need to know algorithms (if you know good for you, otherwise no problem..)
Like they told you, I suggest you to start with a project, especially for live music (something very basic, like with the key "p" of the keyboard I want a soundfile playing and with some midicontroller I control one parameter of a filter and the volume of the soundfile).
Try to understand if you're interested in synthesis, or in audio treatment, or in using max as a "score" to control events... or whatever, and make a copy of some tutorials you like and then try to modify them for your interest..
it take sometimes but it's really great
good luck
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my take on it. Don't worry about mastering MAX or any other system. It is a very complex system. One can only master so much. Use your course to give you an introduction to all this stuff. Taking a formal program like you are doing is good to get a general overview of music technology very quickly. Get comfortable with stuff being over your head. Don't worry about it.

BTW, MAX uses a "visual" programming methodology. Some people really relate to is and other, including some very good programmers don't care for it at all. There are other computer music languages - Kyma, ChucK, Super Collider, CMusic, Keykit, MusicMulch, etc. Each are different. If you feel you need to get into computer music at this level, you will find one more attactive for some reason. MAX/MSP may not be for you.

When your academic program is finished, you'll be able to focus on the things that you naturally warmed up to when your were first exposed to them. These things you choose will be relatively easy to master. You can be an outstanding electro-musician and never program anything. Programming may not be your bag.

So, don't let yourself get too frustrated.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eagertoknow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Great advice
Subject description: Thanks to all
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I appreciate all the replies. And Mosc or Howard your advice really hits home. Cause I am curious about it all. I will work on not getting frustrated.
Actually it's the second half of the class I would regret not completing:scoring film.

Gotta go with the flow.
hyperstationjr

G2 patch files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't exactly want to hi-jack the thread or anything, but I didn't think a new thread was necessary...

I'm in the same boat... I'm coming from using Nord Modulars for the last 4 years and wanted to explore even greater terrain (particularly with MIDI sequencing, but also some sample manipulation...).

I'm just going through the tutorials and building what I see there, then adding parts, and as I go along, mixing and matching things t do what I want... (such as Random Metro's and things like that).

Usually I can just dive RIGHT into a program without much of a learning curve, took me a week to make my own patches with the Nord Modulars but after that I was on my way, same goes for all the video, graphics and audio apps that I know. But Max is WAAAYY to complicated for me to do that, I just don't understand the language at all... but I' learning...

I'm wondering, do you guys think I'll be OK just learning by my self? I'd love to take a course, I tried when i was in school, but that was only for Masters Degree students and I was still in my Bachelors, and now that I graduated, I don't really have money to go back or anything...

Any tips on learning by yourself???

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Jump to: