electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
abondon - song
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kruhft

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: abondon - song
Subject description: a song I wrote using chuck
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I put this up on the wiki under the samples selection, but since I found this forum, I thought I would post it here just for kicks. It's my first actual song rendered totally with chuck; you can hear it of on my myspace page (see my sig), or just run it from chuck (obviously Wink . It's just kinda of ambient and relaxing, nothing too crazy. Here's the source:

begin: kruhft__abandon.ck
Code:

fun void percussion() {
   Shakers perc => JCRev r1 => Pan2 p1 => dac;
   perc => dac;
   0.7 + Std.randf() => perc.gain;
   while(done > 0) {
      -1 + Std.randf()*2 => p1.pan;
      if(Std.rand()%8)  {
         Std.rand()%22 => perc.preset;
         30 + Std.rand()%100 => perc.freq;
      }
      Std.randf()+0.5 => perc.noteOn;
      128::ms => now;
   }
}

JCRev r;
Echo e;
96::ms => e.delay;

[ 110.0, 146.83, 220.0, 130.81, 164.81 ] @=> float notes[];
5 => int numnotes;

fun float getnote(float octave) {
   return octave * notes[Std.rand2(0,numnotes-1)] + Std.randf();
}

fun void voice1 (float octave, float pan) {
   24 => int count;
   BandedWG bb => Pan2 p => r => dac;
   5 => bb.gain;
   while(--count) {
      pan + Std.randf()*0.1 => p.pan;
      getnote(2.0) => bb.freq;
      0.6 + Std.randf()*0.4  => bb.noteOn;
      (Std.rand()%3*1024 + 1024)::ms => now;
      1.0 => bb.noteOff;
   }
}

function void voice2 (float octave, float pan) {
   24 => int count;
   TubeBell tb => Pan2 p => dac;
   while(--count) {
      Std.randf()*0.3 => p.pan;
      getnote(2.0) => tb.freq;
      0.6 + Std.randf()*0.2  => tb.noteOn;
      (Std.rand()%4*1024 + 1024)::ms => now;
      1.0 => tb.noteOff;
   }
}

1 => int done;
spork ~ percussion();
4::ms => now;
spork ~ percussion();

(4096*4)::ms => now;
for(0 => int i; i < 8; i++) {
   spork ~ voice1(1+Std.rand()%2, -1+Std.rand()*2);
   (4096*2)::ms => now;
   spork ~ voice2(1+Std.rand()%2, -1+Std.rand()*2);
   (4096*3+512)::ms => now;
}

(4096*16)::ms => now;

0 => done;

end: kruhft__abaondon.ck

Hope you like it.

Last edited by kruhft on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like this. This inspires me to download ChucK and give it a try.

You can post tracks here, BTW.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm....

I loaded miniAudicle, pasted in your code and then hit Add Shred. I got this:
Code:
[unnamed1]:line(59).char(52): syntax error

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spencer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, i can't get it to run either.

kruhft, could you try reposting your song with HTML disabled (click "Disable HTML in this post")? I think some constructions in ChucK get mangled when phpBB tries to interpret them as HTML. Specifically, I think there's a problem with the following part:

Code:

(4096*4)::ms => now;
for(0 => int i; i <8> now; // this part seems to be mangled
   spork ~ voice2(1+Std.rand()%2, -1+Std.rand()*2);
   (4096*3+512)::ms => now;
}

(4096*16)::ms => now;

0 => done;

This would explain why mosc and myself were not able to get your code to run.
kruhft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a bit new to the whole BB forum thing so I forgot about the disabling of HTML. I edited the original post, so the code should be fine now.

Sorry about that; I'll remember in the future.

kruhft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I really like this. This inspires me to download ChucK and give it a try.

You can post tracks here, BTW.

Cool, glad you like it. It'll be good to share tips and such using real songs and code, and remixes based on just code could be kinda fun (not having to worry about downloading samples and other annoyances).

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, thanks for reloading it. It works now and sounds outstanding. MUCH better than the mp3. Of course, I knew it would, but it always amazes me. Laughing
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just added the ck extension for uploading ChucK files. Here is your file, kruhft__abandon.ck for testing...

kruhft__abandon.ck
 Description:
kruhft__abandon.ck

Download
 Filename:  kruhft__abandon.ck
 Filesize:  1.57 KB
 Downloaded:  380 Time(s)

ge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really beautiful track... Bravo.

Looking through the code reminded me of several potential chuck disaster areas that could use some patching. I made some minor adjustments in the code to better get around the chuck shortcomings, which we plan to definitely address. Hope you don't mind us mucking with your excellent program.

changes
---
1. made global verb for left and right (though I love the zipping of the tails between L and R before).

2. moved declaraction of int done to above - chuck bug sometimes causes incorrect behavior from percussion() if done declared below.

3. added disconnect before end of function to alleviate unfinished garbage collector. this will at least prevent the old ugen's from taking up cpu cycles still connected to the dac.

4. added few seconds of tail to the end.

I hope I didn't make anything worse. Sorry for all the chuck bugs (we'll get them!). Great work, kruhft.

kruhft__abondon__mod__ge.ck
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  kruhft__abondon__mod__ge.ck
 Filesize:  2.07 KB
 Downloaded:  355 Time(s)

kruhft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ge wrote:
Really beautiful track... Bravo.

Looking through the code reminded me of several potential chuck disaster areas that could use some patching. I made some minor adjustments in the code to better get around the chuck shortcomings, which we plan to definitely address. Hope you don't mind us mucking with your excellent program.

No worries at all and muck as you wish. I just started with ChucK and I'm sure there's some subtleties and such that I'll be learning as time goes on...maybe then we'll hit "excellent", but for now they're just hacks ;-D

ge wrote:

changes
---
1. made global verb for left and right (though I love the zipping of the tails between L and R before).

Ah, that might be interesting. i just found out about the dac.left/right members and was wondering about stereo reverb when I was writing it.

ge wrote:

2. moved declaraction of int done to above - chuck bug sometimes causes incorrect behavior from percussion() if done declared below.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I noticed no problems with it below so I wasn't sure if it was due to chuck doing a full source scan prior to compilation or...well...lack of warnings Wink I did notice some crashes when I chucked together some ugens prior to their declerations so I should have known about this bug.

ge wrote:

3. added disconnect before end of function to alleviate unfinished garbage collector. this will at least prevent the old ugen's from taking up cpu cycles still connected to the dac.

Another good thing to know; disconnect when not in use. I'm used to doing manual de/allocation so this shouldn't be a problem to get used to.

ge wrote:

4. added few seconds of tail to the end.

I hope I didn't make anything worse. Sorry for all the chuck bugs (we'll get them!). Great work, kruhft.

I just gave the new one a listen, and it sounds different to my ear, probably due to the stereo reverb and the sweeping that you mentioned. The percussion seems a bit too busy now; an easy fix would be to cut the number of notes in half just to open it up a bit. I obviously wouldn't say it was worse in any way, but it does sound different than what I would have finished.

Funny how some tiny changes can do that Wink

I'll take these trick and move on to my next and see how it works out. After writing some noisy slow-breakcore in yesterday with ChucK, maybe I'll move back to some pretty and ambient (nothing like switching it up sometimes).

Even with the bugs, ChucK is awesome; I almost like them...perfection (in audio software at least) is a bit overratted (as long as it doesn't crash). The bugs give character to the sound...

Anyways, back to making noise.

ge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I just gave the new one a listen, and it sounds different to my ear, probably due to the stereo reverb and the sweeping that you mentioned. The percussion seems a bit too busy now; an easy fix would be to cut the number of notes in half just to open it up a bit. I obviously wouldn't say it was worse in any way, but it does sound different than what I would have finished.

Funny how some tiny changes can do that Wink

Yeah, it really is very different. This is probably just abusing the newly configured .ck uploading (thanks Howard!), but here is kind of a hybrid between the original and the (not-so) slightly modified version. I dig the tail panning, I reverted the reverb situation back in percussion() and try left/right for the voices. For now, I cease my mucking.

Quote:
Even with the bugs, ChucK is awesome; I almost like them...

Haha, thanks (we love this attitude Very Happy). We'll do our best to keep bugs to a minimum, but there won't be a shortage anytime soon!

Quote:
perfection (in audio software at least) is a bit overratted (as long as it doesn't crash). The bugs give character to the sound...

Yeah, there is something cool about serrendipitous bugs. Like many other systems, we may have to keep some bugs around for backwards compatibility, huh huh.

kruhft__abondon__mod__ge2.ck
 Description:
back to original cool percussion verb

Download
 Filename:  kruhft__abondon__mod__ge2.ck
 Filesize:  2.01 KB
 Downloaded:  355 Time(s)

majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

really nice job!
i love this kind of post. i have no ability to make anything with these programs. i really appreciate seeing people use these programs musically. i think it's very cool. nice piece. relaxing and interesting, and all from a short little snippet of code. bravo!

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: