electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Chorus module DIY equivalent?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Chorus module DIY equivalent? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I've been working on some external effects processor patches and I have run into a puzzle. When using the G2 (or any other outboard effects processor) with the effects sends on a mixing console, you want to be able to create the effect in the outboard device and bring the effect back into the console with the effect 100% "wet", meaning with none of the dry signal mixed in with the signal coming back from the effects device. This is important for two reasons -
1. So you can bring up the effect without increasing the volume of the dry track (which would happen if the dry signal is also coming back into the console mixed with the effects), and
2. To avoid unpredictable phasey mess caused by outboard gear that has A/D-D/A conversion, which will bring the dry signal back into the console with some slight delay and affect the sonics of the dry signal when the two signals mix.

So this is all easy to do when creating various reverb and delay and pitch shifting effects, because the modules involved in these effects allow you to build a signal chain that does not pass the dry signal to the output (the pitchshifter is 100% wet unless you add a mixer to change that, and the reverb has a mix control that can be set to 100% wet, etc.).

BUT - Then there is the Chorus module. I really like the sound of this module and it would be great to have this effect available for external signal processing, but the Chorus module passes the dry signal to it's output in a 50/50 wet/dry mix when the Amount control is set to max. Bah! This results in the two problems described above when you use it on a console effect send.

So does anyone know how to replicate the sound of the Chorus module using DIY patching so you can omit the dry signal from the output? I have tried various tricks with short swept delays but I can't get it to sound the same. Thanks!

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought I stumbled upon it when experimenting with 3 phase modulation, going to 4 phase sounded too much like the built in chorus so I discarded it.

1 lfo generates 0,90,180,270 triangles and modulates a quad delay in the 25ms range. Summed output is added/subtracted to left/right for stereo.

Maybe the stock chorus uses sine instead of triangle? And a little filtering?

DIYchorus.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DIYchorus.pch2
 Filesize:  2.11 KB
 Downloaded:  1442 Time(s)

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dave,

Try adding a phase inverted version of the dry signal in.

I did a quick patch to make sure this works. Load into slot A, and the button on the right when off passes through just the chorus module, and when pressed passes the chorus, plus phase inverted dry, plus normal dry. There is no difference between the two, so adding a phase inverted dry signal will give you a 100% wet signal Smile

wet chorus.pch2
 Description:
Patch to subtract dry signal from chorus module, and prove this does provide 100% wet

Download
 Filename:  wet chorus.pch2
 Filesize:  1.23 KB
 Downloaded:  1171 Time(s)

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, thanks you guys. Ian, that sounds nice! And afro88 - DOH! Of course! I had tried inverting the ENTIRE signal to try to cancel the dry signal coming from the G2 with the original dry signal at the console once the two signals got re-combined at the console, but that didn't work because of the slight A/D-D/A latency coming from the G2. But when you do it this way, cancelling the dry signal with itself entirely inside the patch, it works! The dry signal never gets out of the G2. Cool.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: