electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Who are you favourite composers?
Page 7 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry... forgot to ask the question. who is Moon Dog? ok, i've looked him up on wikipedia, but if anyone's got any better resources or can recommend a "quintessential" or entry level album/song it'd be much appreciated Smile
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

he sounds like an absurd novelty act, yet the wiki man describes him as a "genius".
i mean, really?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.moondogscorner.de

Soundclips
http://www.juno.co.uk/artists/Moondog/

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like Moondog's music. That said, its hard to really hear in his music anything that was truly original or mindblowingly unique.

Some of Harry Partch's music sounds like it influenced moondog. Is he less well known in some circles because he didn't live on the streets?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
http://www.moondogscorner.de

Soundclips
http://www.juno.co.uk/artists/Moondog/

on one website he's called the viking of sixth avenue, on other one the viking of fifth avenue.
that's a tough choice Exclamation but either way he does not sound like a genius to me Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never said he was a genius. Shocked I know too little about his music and ideas in order to have any opinion.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Low Note wrote:
Some of Harry Partch's music sounds like it influenced moondog. Is he less well known in some circles because he didn't live on the streets?

No it's because Partch's music is much deeper, has greater compositional richness and investigates important places in both aesthetics and the human psyche. Thus it never got a large following. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
Thus it never got a large following.

Yup!

But... Did Pärtchie ever consider the Britney Spears approach? Like no underwear and such..?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's like a poor man's Bonzo dog doodah band without the sense of humour, talent or originality. or john cage without the... well... john cage.

a bit of tape playing location recordings, and hippy bongos with a classical violinist impersonating chinese instruments badly.

i guess in this day and age the japanese stuff doesn't sound as exotic as it used to.

dunno... i reckon it was probably a cult success in 6th forms circa 197x. wow... it's almost like the frogs are in the room with you. i'm sure some of you are old enough to remember having your minds blown by your first stereo system...

Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oops, i take it back. the preview for "down is up" sounds quite promising. the production is very nice and the vocal delivery is gorgeous... hmm...
Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="bachus"]
Low Note wrote:
snipquote]

No it's because Partch's music is much deeper, has greater compositional richness and investigates important places in both aesthetics and the human psyche. Thus it never got a large following. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

ha! Well, in reality, Moondog never got a very large following either. But he is probably much more talked about in trendy new music circles today than Harry Partch. The street musician aspect is just so much more racy.

But maybe my perception of the situation is simply that Moondog was forgotten for a time and then got "rediscovered" by a hip radio station (I believe WFMU was the force in making his name known), while Harry Partch was never really forgotten by the people that found him interesting.
Drone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Drone wrote:
Parkol wrote:
Quote:
Parkol. Great to have you here.

Thank you...
Do you know me?

I am confused a little... Embarassed

People are friendly here. Wink

But not friendly enough to quickly say so Shocked Laughing

LoL Laughing

Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm new and this thread is too big to scan it all, but I'm very pleased too see a lot of posts with:
Miles Davis - Frank Zappa - Herbie Hancock - Wayne Shorter - Beefheart - Dolphy
If not mentioned I would like to add :
Joe Zawinul - Tonto's Expanding Headband - Jan Boerman - Morton Subotnick

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Pärtchie ?

I had never seen Partch's name spelled with a umlaut

those Scandinavian computer keyboards...

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m referring to an obscure comic strip which does an Archie twist on Arvo Pärt. By association ( don´t ask.. please ) it came up when Harry Partch's name was mentioned.
I know. It is way too esoteric in order to make any sense at all. Business as usual. Shocked Rolling Eyes

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Drearro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moondog!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome, strangeloop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Veil

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

British jazz composer Roy Budd is a genius - wrote the score to the original Get Carter and The Black Windmill which are just awesome.
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CubaxD
usw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I discovered today the 2nd version of georges Antheil's "symphony for five instruments"...witty, but not superficial...it contains some very moving moments...
GaryRea

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll second Patrick O'Hearn and add Mark Isham, Jonn Serrie, Ralph Towner, Paul McCandless and Mychael Danna.

Gary
ig88sir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cevin Key
Rhys Fulber
Kevin Shields
Justin K. Broadrick

Last edited by ig88sir on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rafa_85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mozart
Wagner
Stravinsky
Sotockhausen
Grisey
Phlipp Manoury
Marc-André Dabavie
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan Boerman
Page 7 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: