electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
AS/Doepfer compatibillity ?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Patchmouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: AS/Doepfer compatibillity ?
Subject description: What modules for what cases ?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, I know that Analogue Systems build some Doepfer sockets into their cases, but if I run out of sockets is it possible to connect Doepfer modules to AS sockets using an adapter cable ? I know its possible to connect AS modules to Doepfer sockets using an adapter, God, this could get confusing Sad

Take care,

Tony.
Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have never seen those for sale. My picture is that Doepfer try to ignore other brands on the market. There are cables for mounting AS in Doepfer racks, and in theory they would be possible to use if the polarity of all the DC is OK. But I have heard other people say it does not work.
Anyway, I would try it on a cheap module first.
Per
REwire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have three AS cases that are mostly filled with Doepfer modules. What I did was get one of these for each and lay it on the bottom (insulated):

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a100bus/

and now have more than enough for all my modules.

Jari Jokinen

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am going to install an Analogue Systems RS230 CV buffer into Doepfer cabinet. For this I bought an Asys-Doepfer Adaptor Board from Analogue Haven.

I have looked the pictures here:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/asysadaptor/
It seems, that either Analogue Haven people have made incorrect connection, or then my adaptor is different. As this is difficult to explain, I have attached three pictures (Comparison1.jpg, Comparison2.jpg, and My_connection.jpg). As you see, Comparison2 doesn't match.

In the schematic paper I got from AH, there is some hand writing: On Analogue Systems side it says "red line -12V on top". However, when I look at the PCB of the RS230, -12 is written on bottom. (To further add the confusion, voltages are marked both left and right of the power connector and they don't match exactly. -12v is on bottom though.) The schematic is same as here:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/usercomm/conversion.jpg

Please, have a look at My_connection.jpg. Do I get smoke, if I connect it this way? Red band of the short cable to Doepfer -12V/bottom. No twisting of the cable.

Best regards
Jari Jokinen

Comparison1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.38 KB
 Viewed:  7488 Time(s)

Comparison1.jpg

Comparison2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.62 KB
 Viewed:  7486 Time(s)

Comparison2.jpg

My_connection.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.17 KB
 Viewed:  7484 Time(s)

My_connection.jpg

Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I canĀ“t really read the pictures. But I have used several AS modules in Doepfer frames. And the adaptor cable (in my case from TBS) shifts the red - 12 volt wire from top to bottom of the band cable, to get the right power supply. If you are very nervous, I can send a converter cable by post, I have three of them and will not buy any more AS modules as I see it now. But then I need an address.
If you connect it the wrong way, the magic blue smoke will probably be released. Only way to avoid it totally is to buy Cwejman modules. He is now adding a protective diode in all new modules to save them from wrong currency.
But I bet you could not wait to install it. It is a good module by the way, I use two of them. They are not only suitable for multi VCO patches. In some situations, the gate and clock signals gets too weak when split to too many modules.
Per WIkstrom
Jari Jokinen

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I figured it out. My_connection.jpg is correct.

Per
Thank you, but the RS230 is working now!

It is indeed a useful module. Among basic CV distribution I seem to use the inverted output quite a lot.

I didn't want to waste space, so I did some drilling. It wasn't easy for me and the result is rough. Perhaps I should have tried to enlarge the mounting holes rather than drillimg from a new point. Dremel tool was mentioned here:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/forum/topic-104.html

Worth of mentioning is, that behind the faceplate the PCB sticks few millimeters to left - to the area belonging to the next module. I could install Doepfer A-138c to left of the RS230, but not Plan B M10 or Cwejman ADSR-VC2 as I wished. (Hmm... I could put RS230 upside down...)

RS230 faceplate is a bit thicker than of any other module I have. This makes it stick out a bit, which may bother some.

Best regards
Jari Jokinen

RS230_drilled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.8 KB
 Viewed:  9010 Time(s)

RS230_drilled.jpg

RS230_installed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.57 KB
 Viewed:  9010 Time(s)

RS230_installed.jpg