electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Thinking about buying Nord Modular G2
Page 4 of 5 [120 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Geitost! Right, that would be the scrawny brown stuff they serve here. Cheese you say? Hmm.. it´s kinda brown though.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Next saturday we will give geitost away for free

Right, it's that bad Laughing

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Wout Blommers wrote:
Next saturday we will give geitost away for free

Right, it's that bad Laughing

No need to give it away for free. Serve the stuff at gunpoint! That works perfectly well up here.

Here is a norwegian looking for geitost customers in Afghanistan.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Argitoth

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh hey guys, I just want to let you know that I figured out what I want. I'm going to buy an analog modular synth. Laughing (I laugh because I can imagine what you must be thinking.)

http://www.paia.com/

The price is right, looks easier to use than some other modular stuff. Only thing is its lack of modules. I gotta do a lot of research, see which modules I can take from other companies, figure out how it all works, learn the DOs and DONTs, the quirks, learn a thing or two about electronic devices, etc. But yes, I finally realize that if I want raw power, I need a analog modular synth. I want the freedom of modularity with the organic sound of analog hardware.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
I'm going to buy an analog modular synth. Laughing (I laugh because I can imagine what you must be thinking.)

I'm thinking that I guess Laughing still, a good idea Exclamation

Quote:
I gotta do a lot of research

The G2 demo might be handy for some 'what ifs' Shocked Laughing

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paia?

I have a lot of very nice things to say about Paia, but I don´t think a Paia modular will fit your profile. I even doubt an analog modular is what you need at the moment. It might be what you need a couple of years from now though. Right now I think you should learn more about how things work and synthesis in general. You might suddenly discover you can use the gear you already have in a far better way if you do. A software modular might be cool though. Something like the Arturia Moog Modular clone?! It comes with a whole lot of presets and you can explore how the patches work. One obvious "problem" is of course that this software emulates a fixed system and it is not truly as versatile as the G2. Still, at this stage this is hardly a problem.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An analog modular will provide:

-The raw analog sound
-Modulate things to max frequencies without the digital character
-I heard that Paia can sound fat pretty easily, just a few saws will do.

It will be limited compared to what I'm used to in terms of software. I should probably expect to spend a few thousands overtime before I feel I have a good-sized system. I can get screaming stuff with a distortion module. To do pads, I'm going to create a scratch track with my software synth to lay out the midi. Then I'll use the modular synth to play one note at a time and stack it.

elektro90 wrote:
Right now I think you should learn more about how things work and synthesis in general.
What I need to learn is how to create great sounding patches. There's two good ways to learn that: expirimentation and reading a book. Firstly, I don't need to learn how to create an oscillator, a filter, or an envelope. I just have to buy modules and connect them. At that point, all I need to learn is cool tricks to make good use of them. I can learn such things using a Paia modular synth or my software synths. Actually, I learned a few cool tricks in Nord Modular just because the GUI inspired new ways of thinking.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right... the dollar. Since you good people managed to kill the dollar, it is now possible to grab excellent US made gear pretty much for free these days. Please vote republican! Europeans must be allowed to buy cheap US made gear.

Anyways, you can do this on a budget even though you are obviously stuck in the US.

http://www.synthesizers.com/system-entry1.html

Start out with that one, and then simply buy more modules later on.
The stuff Roger Arrick makes is top notch and inexpensive. You simply don´t want to go DIY at this stage.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
fac

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Right... the dollar. Since you good people managed to kill the dollar, it is now possible to grab excellent US made gear pretty much for free these days. Please vote republican! Europeans must be allowed to buy cheap US made gear.

Anyways, you can do this on a budget even though you are obviously stuck in the US.

http://www.synthesizers.com/system-entry1.html

The stuff Roger Arrick makes is top notch and inexpensive. You simply don´t want to go DIY at this stage.

As a proud owner of a .com system, I second this suggestion. Just keep in mind these synths are physically BIG, so if you don't have the space, go for an eurorack or frac-rack.
Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Hmm, yes yes... I guess you're right. I better go with Synthesizers.com.
Code:

Q101| Power Control         |$52
Q104| MIDI Interface        |$84
Q106| Oscillator            |$195
Q107| State Variable Filter |$136
Q109| Envelope Generator    |$92

Total = 559   

Is there anything I'm "immediatly" missing? Is it ok to buy a module that is not Synthesizer.com?

http://www.analoguehaven.com/used/
http://www.synthtech.com/motm.html
http://www.modcan.com/bseries/modulesb.html
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
... -The raw analog sound ...
Hmmm... Which reminds me...
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=KQewHS7L1Wg

Wout
Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know something, I really do need to go with Paia, mainly because of price, secondarily because it's smaller and each module has more in it. I'll either build it myself or I think you can buy the modules already-made. Now, I was reading a review and it seems like the filter has a weird resonance glitch. I'll probably buy a filter elsewhere.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:

Code:

Total = 559   

Is there anything I'm "immediatly" missing?

If you add a VCA (Q108) you will be on your way to making some TB303 type sounds. Smile
Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Argitoth wrote:

Code:

Total = 559   

Is there anything I'm "immediatly" missing?

If you add a VCA (Q108) you will be on your way to making some TB303 type sounds. Smile

Interesting. What does an amp do besides amplify? Does it cause distortion if I just turn it up? Where would the amp be in the routing chain?

I'm going to call Paia tomorrow and ask if they are planning on adding more modules to their catalog. If not, I might rethink buying stuff Synthesizer.com
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You do realize that you are not going to get much of a pad sound from one oscillator?

Also that the synth will be monophonic?

Andy
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah single osc mono synths dont really excel at pads. Smile
Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
You do realize that you are not going to get much of a pad sound from one oscillator?

Also that the synth will be monophonic?

iPassenger wrote:
yeah single osc mono synths dont really excel at pads. Smile

Yep, I'll get a pretty fat sound with at least 4 oscillators. To get polyphonic sound, I simply record the synth over multiple times, with the help of a software synth to create the scratch track.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are taking the piss aren't you?
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehehe...

Well that is how Tomita did it back in the day.

Good luck with that, Smile

Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry uhh...

actually I change my mind again. I better look into Blacet stuff. Good prices, small size, plenty of modules. Little more expensive than Synthesizer.com, but I think it'd be worth it. I think the banana pots generally have more ins and outs too.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
Hehehe...

Well that is how Tomita did it back in the day.

Good luck with that, Smile
Well Stockhausen had a much harder time to construct additve synthese, but that's another story Smile

I wonder where this thread ends...

Wout
ian-s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:

Interesting. What does an amp do besides amplify? Does it cause distortion if I just turn it up? Where would the amp be in the routing chain?

I'm going to call Paia tomorrow and ask if they are planning on adding more modules to their catalog. If not, I might rethink buying stuff Synthesizer.com

The G2 demo you have been using has a VCA 'built into' the Envelope module. The .com (and most real analog) envelope just provides a control voltage for vcf/vca/vco. Without the vca (controlled by the Q109), the oscillator/filter will make a continuos tone.
Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Without the vca (controlled by the Q109), the oscillator/filter will make a continuos tone.

Oh yes, I knew that. I was planning on using the filter to control the volume, lol.

Go here: http://www.blacet.com/ Scroll down till you see the mixer or splitter. It has a phase control. Does that mean I can do phase distortion with it?
ian-s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
g2ian wrote:
Without the vca (controlled by the Q109), the oscillator/filter will make a continuos tone.

Oh yes, I knew that. I was planning on using the filter to control the volume, lol.

Go here: http://www.blacet.com/ Scroll down till you see the mixer or splitter. It has a phase control. Does that mean I can do phase distortion with it?

I think it means phase as in inverted (like swapping speaker wires gets you out of phase).
Phase distortion is like the casio cz synthesis technique which is loosely related to DX style fm.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
... Does that mean I can do phase distortion with it?
Very Happy

Wout
Page 4 of 5 [120 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: