electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
The Liquid Hihat - NEW VIDEO-Dec.1508
Page 2 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welll if only i knew a simple program for doing PNP. at this point i dont know how. but maybe someday Smile

i guess all i meant was i hoped somebody else would be doing one
hey by the way, have you seen MY new schematic over in the lunetta section called the ENDLESS NOISE? i think you will love it!!

its under a thread called using +v as cv in in the lunetta section.

please check it out!

at least i can make schematics now!

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:
When it comes about, if you do a PNP of it - would you care to do a 2nd? I'd gladly pay for it. Very Happy

why not doing a professional PCB run?

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be most excellent!
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be in for a couple...
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
I'd be in for a couple...

Profesh'nul, heck, I'd be in for a couple as well! Shocked Very Happy Due to the sound variations possibilities from it (as I've said earlier), I could easily use at least 2 of them! (I WILL have 2 regardless, as I've got yet another idea for it that I wish to try out).

A professional run though would require a certain # of boards, as per other mass buys that occur here. I myself never HAVE gotten a board done professionally, but I'm debating my first for multiple constant current sources for my 1V/oct. step sequencer. That'll all depend on minimum order requirements board and / or cost wise.
Here (professional run), I've nay a clue.

??

Edit: Ooops, sorry Dan! I forgot to reply to your mesage. Sad

Yes, I DID see your posting of slaving the CMOS chips in the Lunetta thread! For some reason, I've never THOUGHT of that, even though I knew years ago, of the slaved CA3080 in a VCA that worked quite well. Smile I may have to look at playing with something like that it the future, when I get down to work on some noise circuitry. Very Happy
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, I haven't done any work on the layout for a week or so. I've had so much other stuff going around in my messy little head! Embarassed Laughing
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Sorry, I haven't done any work on the layout for a week or so. I've had so much other stuff going around in my messy little head! Embarassed Laughing

We possibly sail in similar boats. Laughing I've been working on my sequencer engine since July 7th with at least 3 more weeks to go, to completetion; started a new 3U panel's artwork, 3 weeks ago, hoping to finish today, for 4 VCOs; want to get my KAOS VCLFO/VCO prototype and my Topps Buchla 281 clone done. And then there's my Klee, not yet started.

That's why I'm not worried about your not getting it completed, yet. Smile
Dego

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would take 2 pcbs as well Smile
dar303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dego, I'm stalking you...i'm in for 2! Smile
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am in for two Smile
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh. This to me, is starting to look really cool. Smile

Development with the other chap, is on hold for the moment. We're awaiting the Thomas Henry drum unit first - apparently this September, not wishing to interrupt anyone's interests in IT. Once the Henry unit has come out, things shall then be moving forward. Very Happy
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i took a closer look to the schematics today.

maybe this is already covered in the thread and i will probably missed it: what do you use the external in for? cascading liquidHHs? then we could add an inverted output for cascading purposes only, in order to keep the phase (since the external input goes into the 2nd stage of the gain chain, thus inverting).

would it make sense to voltage control the range? it could be done with a transistor, i think.

i am looking forward to your comments, since i have not had the time to breadboard it yet...

julianw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just another expression of interest, I'd buy a couple of PCBs if you decide to do a production run.

What with this project, the TH MPS, SDS3, UD1 & DS7 what a great time to be into analog percussion, I also have a populated Clangora which 'just' needs a panel.

I'm off to swap out the six shimmer resistors for pots on my Cynare, currently considering buying six VC resistor boards from Scott to use for this.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias - the External Input was originally intended for Noise. I put White Noise into the current beta of the Liquid Hihat that I have built. With the white noise mixed somewhat into the background, it helps to give it a more 'realistic' hihat sound to the output. That, I haven't worried about the Inversion, with. Wink

Julian: before I bought myself a Cynare PCB from Ken to build, I made my own version of the Shimmer portion itself. I added CV versions to 2 of the Shimmer's 6 clocks. In my version then, this helped SOMEwhat, to give differing frequencies in the patch, but I wasn't completely happy with it. The way that I did it gave a limited frequency range.

I later bought the real Cynare and built that - ending up wanting variable frequency possibilties. Instead of modding the Cynare itself, I came up with the Liquid Hihat, using a Voltage Controlled Clock and a copy of the Shimmer section. I then made two of each of these, XORing them together and adding the external input, into which White Noise, or just about anything else could be pumped in. Smile
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: New Liquid Hihat video - Sept. 0508 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the newest Liquid Hihat video! What TIMING! I have to leave for work in seconds! Surprised Surprised

Hope y'all enjoy. Gives a bit more impression of the sounds available from it. Smile

EDIT: 2:39 p.m. DAMN. Not finished processing. Should be within a few minutes. Keep checking. Surprised Smile

bugfight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

woohoo!
what fun!
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooo! I forgot to type a correction about the description I'm giving verbally in the video. Surprised

Making the video, again, I was in a rush. I incorrectly described the single ADSR EG that is used as controlling the PITCH of the Liquid Hihat.

That is not the case. Surprised

It's the MIDI Note # that is controlling the frequency / pitch of the LHH, as well as the 2 x LFOs. (Notes ranging between C-2 and C6 were sent, from the sequencer.)
jvastine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This s a cool item indeed! Will there be pcbs available anytime soon? I would be up for a couple when the time comes.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love that video Rykhaard!
It's such a useful unit, it's got a really unique effect.
Great work!

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks much Uncle Krunkus! Smile Smile

There's talk going on of having a PCB made. I have one more test to do before we can start finalizing things but for the last couple of weeks I've had every spare building moment completely consumed by my latest sequencer design!

( Nervous twitching on ) Wink
26 years man, I've wanted a sequencer that could do things that this one is capable of and it's finally, FINALLY - hopefully, only days away from getting it's first panel completed! Surprised It'll only be 16 steps of semitones, but they'll all be accessible in ANY order.
The first 4 step portion IS working in 1V/oct. right now. I'm just completing the full 16 step semitone unit at the moment.
Once THAT's done, then I'll get back to finalizing the Liquid Hihat test bit and hopefully soon after, we'll be able to carry on with it. Smile

For the moments though - my 26 year long dream (since first hearing Tangerine Dream) is almost complete it's first step. ( Nervous twitching off ) Laughing
Dego

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After the MPS release its just this that I am waiting on. Smile
I think it sounds great!
Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to let everyone know, I've done up a PCB for the Liquid Hihat, I am having a small test run done at the moment, a couple will go to Ryk and Uncle K for beta testing, once we have worked out any bugs, I'll consider doing a production run.
The boards are 100x100mm double sided, with MOTM and Dotcom style power connectors and all the panel connections are brought out to headers.
I'll post some pics once the prototypes arrive (should be 2-3 weeks)
I've also done up a 3 space MOTM panel for it, and am working on a frac version.

Please don't inundate this thread with "I'll take XXX" posts, I'll let you know if and when we go into production.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you VERY much for taking this forward Dragon's Lair! Smile As all may know, I've only been concentrating on my sequencer for the last 6+ weeks, meaning to get back to the Liquid Hihat. I'm VERY happy that you've gone ahead with it.
I can't wait to beta test it. Smile Smile
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second that in a BIG way!
Thanks heaps for letting me check one of the boards out! Very Happy
I'll do my very bestest, fastest, most accuratest prototyping work to make sure it's up to scratch! (And I'll make it look real sexy too!) Laughing

Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a note to let everyone know that the prototype boards have arrived, and are out for evaluation, so hopefully we will have some news by the new year.
Here's a bit of a teaser for you.

LiquidHH.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.99 KB
 Viewed:  349 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LiquidHH.jpg

Page 2 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: